Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

My dirt rims shouldn't look like this after I pay a member to change the tires

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

My dirt rims shouldn't look like this after I pay a member to change the tires

Busy times these days So I saw an offer from Purplepackage to change tires. Beats me setting up the HF tire changer and all the other To Do's I have. So I'll sub it out.

Dropped off 6 rims to Purplepackage to get my tires put on, Gave him tubes and new tires

Price was 40$ for 4 wheels or a liter of Frontier whisky Buleit rye, no tire balancing. Cool I'll get him 2 of those Buelit rye's

Drop them of at his garage, I wound up drop shiping 2 tire tubes to him since I forgot my spoked street tires take them ( Amazon only delivered one though, guess he re used one.)

I pick up this past Thursday so I can ride on Fri and Sat. I'm in a rush I throw them in the truck. Head home, then take them out later.

ALL 4 of the Dirt rims have bubbles/ bumps at them rim lock. location. Not tiny ones ... see pic
    My dirt rims shouldn't look like this after I pay a member to change the tires-xr-jpg

In a rush so I ask some buddies what to do. I wound up letting the air out, lubing the bead , loosen/push on the rim lock while pushing on the bead.

Nothing after 10 min.

I take an tire iron and the bead is BEHIND the rim lock . Its tire rim, rim lock then bead.

Not the correct order. at all. Its like that on all the dirt rims and at all rim locks

Welp there goes my wkdn of riding. and the 2 bottles of whiskey and my time to drop it off and pick up.

PICS

http://imgur.com/a/hROy1ot

https://imgur.com/a/r6D1bNa

What do I do now?

I'm not taking it back to Purplepackage to make it right. I"m going to take all the tires off my self, check the bead. Check the tubes as well. Even reinstall the street rims probably, check the tubes were replaced.

Then reinstall. I need to doublecheck everything. If anything is off, like a torn bead. I'll be even more fuming, I wont have time till Fri... and probably another wknd of no riding.

What do you guys think? take away from this?

If I'm wrong.... tell me..... If I'm overreacting... tell me.

I doubt I am, I doublechecked with a couple people but I'll eat crow when I have to. I'm not one to call out someone.

But here I am

If anyone wants to use him for tire changing. Good luck

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: My Dirt rims shouldn.t look like this after I pay a Member to change the tires

It's pics like those that make me glad I had someone like Tricky Mike change tires for me before I bit the bullet and started doing them myself!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Re: My Dirt rims shouldn.t look like this after I pay a Member to change the tires

Yep, those need to be re-seated. I would be bummed to pay for that. Let air out loosen lock, and use a bead breaker to try to get that bead in the rim. It can be easier to just take that side off the rim and start over. That's not the worst part of the job and shouldn't take too long. Still a drag.

Paul_E_D

Might want to check those beads for tears when you dismount. There was probably a fair amount of stretching to get those on top of the rim locks.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Might want to check those beads for tears when you dismount. There was probably a fair amount of stretching to get those on top of the rim locks.
    yup... that's my big concern.

hmmmm......

[QUOTE=black;1598694]Busy times these days So I saw an offer from Purplepackage to change tires. Beats me setting up the HF tire changer and all the other To Do's I have. So I'll sub it out.

What do you guys think? take away from this?

/QUOTE]

Hack job. At least everyone else reading this has fair warning to stay away from this guy, not that it’s much consolation to you.

You made a post trying to get in touch with the dude to see if they were done too, Right? Damn

Curious to see Purple's response before passing judgement. I can work a few scenarios in my head on how this could have happened.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Curious to see Purple's response before passing judgement. I can work a few scenarios in my head on how this could have happened.
    Yup. Waiting to see where this goes...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Yup. Waiting to see where this goes...
    Ok, I'll bite. I'm a hack when it comes to tires but have never had them come out like this, even the first time I did it with rim locks. How is this possible short of not doing them correctly? Happy to learn something here.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

At $10/whiskey pricing, could it have been offered as a “I have never done this before, but I’ll give it a shot in my spare time” with a miscommunication on what “spare time” means.

At $10/whiskey pricing, could it have been offered as a “I have never done this before, but I’ll give it a shot in my spare time” with a miscommunication on what “spare time” means.
    Perhaps. This is why we're waiting to hear the other side.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

Well, that is unpleasant

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Perhaps. This is why we're waiting to hear the other side.
    Yup, was offering one example that could lead the issue - in response to E30's post.

To be clear, I don't think the job was done properly. Just saying I see a scenario in how the wheels/tires went out like that that does not necessarily require a public crucifixion before hearing both sides.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

What in the fuck, that's terrible. Two possible causes. Didn't know what a beadlock was, or how they operate. Yanked the old tire out with the beadlock tight (if that's even possible), and then installed new tire on top of tightened beadlock. Or removed beadlock, removed old tire, installed beadlock tight, and then installed tire. I've had a bead lock stick out while doing a change by accident, but it's so obvious that you fix it right then. How you could do more than one makes me believe my first theory.

Feel free to see his posts on the tire changing thread, he posted. offered services.

I can share PMs if needed.

Never heard "its my first time lets see how it goes"
    I got " you can drop them off pick up next day or wait, your call"

But I dont need a public crucifixion.

Just a Beware to people.

Thats' all. If my tires get torn that's on me to a degree. If more than 1 are torn up.... welll that's another ave

hmmmm......

I could see that. Even if it's "spare time" I would still expect it to be done right. If someone was looking to learn I'd expect not to pay if they couldn't do it correctly.

There's a reason I can swap tires but don't offer to do it for strangers as well. I'm not taking compensation from someone unless I can do a professional job.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I'd be annoyed paying for that for sure. It is unusable as it sits.

I think you just chalk it up to a learning, biting the bullet for others on this forum who would utilize his "services".

Should be a very quick fix to loosen rim lock, let out air and push the bead under the rimlock

Sucks but at least it should be an easy fix as long as the tire and tube aren't damaged. Maybe he isn't familiar with dirty tires? To me it looks like tightened down the rim lock and then set the bead. His other mistake was not checking his work.

I'm dreading the day I need to take my wheels to get new tires either from price gouging, damaged wheels and brake discs or just flat out doing it wrong to the point I've been thinking about getting my own machine. I've seen "pros" fuck it up. At least with them if you catch it, it's a 30 sec fix with their fancy machines. I just need some space to put it.

James

Lifer

I assume there has been no response to PM's or direct attempts to communicate this problem.

Did you send him your stuff without full contact information?

PP has my cell.
    I dont see the point of asking for the whiskey back or a monetary amount(unlesa the beads are torn). I wouldnt take the rims back to him to rectify. The issue is not one that can easily be "missed"(though i did but i didnt inspect them when i picked them up. Thats on me, but I also wouldnt have left them with him to rectify)

Again if you want him to do your tires. Good luck

Re: My dirt rims shouldn't look like this after I pay a member to change the tires

But to answer the question did I pm him? No. There really isnt anything he can do to rectify this i dont trust him to touch the rims

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Feel free to see his posts on the tire changing thread, he posted. offered services.

I can share PMs if needed.

Never heard "its my first time lets see how it goes"
    I got " you can drop them off pick up next day or wait, your call"

But I dont need a public crucifixion.

Just a Beware to people.

Thats' all. If my tires get torn that's on me to a degree. If more than 1 are torn up.... welll that's another ave
    Looks like he deleted his tire changing post?

Based on your post, I would not seek him out to change tires with a vast number of other options. He could rectify that by posting his side.

Re: My dirt rims shouldn't look like this after I pay a member to change the tires

Ouch... that's not the best quality job and not something I'd be happy about either. I wouldn't have been happy sending them out like that either. Hopefully there aren't any tears.

Last edited by LuvDog; 06-02-21 at 07:01 AM.
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Everybody to the limit!

Rookie mistake. First you change the tires, then you drink the whiskey.

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast