Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

KLX 650?

KLX 650?

Anyone know anything about mid 90's klx650s? I've been thinking about a dirt-oriented dual sport for a while and there's a cheap 96 klx650 on craigslist. Don't really know much about them, but vie heard they're more dirt-oriented than the klr. Anybody have first-hand experience?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: KLX 650?

Kawasaki's answer to the xrl. I almost bought one myself a couple years ago.

My .02, if you want a really capable bigger dualsport (offroad) look for a ktm lc4.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

I like KLX 650's. They had the street legal "dual sport" version, and the dirt only version. They are a bit heavy, but they make decent power and are very reliable. A KLR motor will not drop in, though. Different cases, or so I have read on ADVrider.
    I owned a 1996 KTM620 RXC and hated it. It was too tall, heavy, and difficult to start. It also vibrated like no other bike I have ever ridden. I sold it quickly, but spent several years working on them as my brother had two of them. Beware of shattering stators!

A good workaday bike, nothing exemplary in any way, and a bit heavy but overall good rice. I think I like my friend's XR 650L a bit more. My first adult bike of my own was a KLR 250 back in '86 when they came out. They both pretty much stayed the same for 20 friggin years, mate. Parts amundo.

Check out this site:

http://www.bikefinds.com/650-dual-sport-bikes-for-sale

rode a friends 96 klx 650 several times. beat it off road aswell. bike is a little heavy but not as bad as a klr. i should have bought my friends when i had the chance. solid bike.

i'm looking for a klr/dr/xr when i get my z sold. imo the dr is the better bike. lighter, faster and doesn't sit so dam high. xr's are tall as hell.

^ what he said. Having owned a DR650 I would definitely buy another one. Really easy to ride, incredibly simple (and cheap) to work on. And you can customize it to work on road and off pretty well.

Lifer

+1. I sold my DRZ400S and bought a DR650 last year. The big DR has been a great ride! It is trouble free, and performes very well as long as you do not mistake it for a real dirt bike.
    The DRZ had a bit of an identity crisis, IMO. It (and a lot of mag and online reviewers)*thought* it was a good dirt bike, but it wasn't.
    I owned a 1984 KLR600, and it was pretty good as well. The skinny and flexy forks were its downfall... The 1996-up DR650 engine is much smoother and more powerful than the KLR 600 motor was, though.