Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Harley-Davidson Pan America

Re: Harley-Davidson Pan America

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    What the hell? Where’s the orange one? That link just goes to a black one and river roxk
    Not sure what you're referring to but I uploaded pics from the event and the orange one is in there. I liked the grey the best, I know HD has been Orange/white/black forever but at this point I associate orange with KTM.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Not sure what you're referring to but I uploaded pics from the event and the orange one is in there. I liked the grey the best, I know HD has been Orange/white/black forever but at this point I associate orange with KTM.
    In the link in the first post, with price, you can select black or river rock. But if you scroll you can see pics of the orange.

Your park avenue leads to..

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    In the link in the first post, with price, you can select black or river rock. But if you scroll you can see pics of the orange.
    The base model only comes in those colors. The "Special" edition is available in orange for an additional cost.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

There's rumor of a "sport" line. Supposed release date is about the same time they plan on unveiling the new electric(s) under the newly developed stand-alone Livewire brand.

Although given their idea of "sport", I can't imagine it being much more than something along the lines of their Fat Bob but with the new Revolution 1250 motor instead of the typical 114CI. Their Street line was obviously a flop, so I can't imagine them trying anything along those lines again.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    There's rumor of a "sport" line. Supposed release date is about the same time they plan on unveiling the new electric(s) under the newly developed stand-alone Livewire brand.

Although given their idea of "sport", I can't imagine it being much more than something along the lines of their Fat Bob but with the new Revolution 1250 motor instead of the typical 114CI. Their Street line was obviously a flop, so I can't imagine them trying anything along those lines again.

Looks like another cruiser but with the new engine.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post

Looks like another cruiser but with the new engine.
    Kinda looks like they may be going after the Indian FTR with that. Way too vague to tell for sure, but that looks an awful lot like the Sportster tank.

Scrambler-mount exhaust with forward controls? Even if the motor/brakes are great, I'm getting strong "identity crisis" vibes.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

I like this bike, I’m just not sure I would buy it based on the other offerings in the segment. Other than squatting to pee, what does this bike do better than the others?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

My local HD dealer already has one in for it's 1000 mile service.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    what does this bike do better than the others?
    Honestly. The whole segment is stellar. It is hard to stand out.

One cat I have met that has bought one said he bought it because it is “different”. And he says if Harley borks this he’ll have something rare, a collector’s item.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    what does this bike do better than the others?
    My biggest appeal for the Pan Am is no valve adjustments. Ever. As someone who outsources this task, I would have some substantial savings over the course of 100k+ miles (assuming the bike remained reliable).

Cool. Those are both reasonable points.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    My biggest appeal for the Pan Am is no valve adjustments. Ever. As someone who outsources this task, I would have some substantial savings over the course of 100k+ miles (assuming the bike remained reliable).
    Do you outsource checks? Most of the japanese bikes I've owned have almost never needed adjustment. On my V-Strom I started checking every-other interval because they were always fine.

I will say the gas, tires, n' oil factor on my Road King is lovely. Bike is just about always ready to just go. Although that is belt drive too.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Do you outsource checks?
    Yes, I actually meant checks/adjustments. My Tiger was in spec at ~20k miles but had 4 exhaust valves out of spec at 40k. I'm about to hit 60k so I'm curious to see where they'll be at. I might do every other interval if it seems they stay in place, but at this rate that will likely be after I click over 100k.

It seems as I get older I want to spend less of my free time wrenching and more time riding. I get irritated as it is every 10k miles when I replace the air filter myself as I have to remove all side paneling, drain tank, remove tank, etc. My Japanese bikes are much simpler to maintain comparatively, but don't see the mileage my Tiger does.

While getting a tire installed on my Mutli last week at a HD dealer in MI, the service manager offered a test ride on the Pan American. I liked it more than I expected. It's very close to the Duck in performance, features, etc. The HD dealer network is a big plus if you use your bike for long trips.

The PanAm is a little smaller & lower than the Duc. It felt a bit cramped in comparison. But the seat height is adjustable so that might fix that problem. Motor has similar power and is very smooth. Shifting is smooth too. They sent me on a 55 mile loop with a good combination of twisty back roads and blue highway and it was a fun ride. They didn't have luggage for it (they said there's a shortage of the bags) so I don't know how they compare.

I had called 2 Duc dealers & explained I'd been on the road for a month+ and needed a fresh tire - one said it would be at least a week & the other said Sept. The HD dealer, Bald Eagle HD in Marquette, said they'd put it on as soon as the tire arrived which took 2 days. I was really impressed with Bald Eagle and would definitely consider the Pan Am if I lived in that area.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

There was talk of my local dealer (Rochester, NH - or one of their sister dealerships) getting one in for a 13,000 mile check-up already. Yeah, you read that correctly, 13,000 miles already. He wanted it gone through before he RODE to Sturgis & back. Or some shit...

While that's a lot of miles to put on in only a few months, it's honestly not that surprising for the IBR types. I've heard of some doing 100k miles in a single year.

If I were retired, divorced and didn't have a kid, I'd probably try it myself.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Is 13k the recommended service interval? The mutli is 7,500 for oil and 15k for valves etc.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    While that's a lot of miles to put on in only a few months, it's honestly not that surprising for the IBR types. I've heard of some doing 100k miles in a single year.

If I were retired, divorced and didn't have a kid, I'd probably try it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    Is 13k the recommended service interval? The mutli is 7,500 for oil and 15k for valves etc.
    Honestly, it MAY have been 30K already, I can't remember. Either way - whether it was due for the servicing or not, he wanted it gone through before he and his special lady friend rode it to Sturgis & back.

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    The Pan Am has 5k mile oil change intervals. There is no interval for valves as they are hydraulically adjusted. If I were in the market, that would be a major selling point for me. The Multi V4 is now up to 36k mile valve intervals so hopefully this will be the trend going forward; high HP bikes capable of piling on miles with little maintenance.

While the Super Adventure has 18k mile valve check intervals, I didn't actually have to adjust them until 36k miles. I did them myself and they were not that far out. I've heard that about most Super Adventures as well, assuming the airbox was fixed.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

But you still had to check them at/around 18k. And you had to then check & adjust them at 36k. Doing it yourself is one thing, but when outsourcing that task - which I'd argue the majority do - it makes financial sense to choose a machine that eliminates/reduces that cost, especially if riding a considerable amount of miles. Given the mileage I've put on my Tiger, that is a big consideration on my next mile-muncher.

I understand that sentiment. I wish all the big brands would move over to hydraulic valves, to be honest I'm not really sure why they haven't if the Pan Am is able to make nearly as much power and weighs pretty much the same.

Of course the other argument for the Pan Am is a dealership on damn near every street corner.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I've done a few 3-5k mile trips, but this was my first time out for more than a month and about 8,500 miles. Being able to easily get an oil change, new tire(s), and other maintenance is an important part of the decision for my next bike. So is not needing the maintenance as often. The Duc specs 7,500 for oil changes but that's pushing it imo. Not having many dealers is one strike against Ducati. Dealers that don't give priority to long-distance travellers is another. With BMW, I could probably use the MOA book to find someone who'd let me change oil at their place, but I don't know of an option like that for Ducs.

DanG
    - Blaise Pascal

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast