Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Learning to ride

Learning to ride

Okay, before the flaming begins I know this is highly frowned upon I know I know. But we have a bike, he has his permit, it was nice out, and we threw caution to the wind (okay I didn't like idea, I was very nervous for him and bike, but he can be very persuasive ). I am hoping the 'certified' trainers at the MSF course can correct any improper techniques he may have learned. This is actually 2nd time he has been out. 1st time was at Target but we were being blatantly watched by the security officer and one P.O. so we moved on. We kept it very basic, very careful, we both didn't want to drop the bike and he (Drewski, new member here) injured; Hasn't anyone ever gotten a bit impatient?

Pics (camera phone) taken just before walking it so he could get a feel for clutch. Told him not to touch throttle, didn't need it. After a few hours he was turning through mini obstacle course (still in 1st) I am hoping his class starts before he wants me to take him out again

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All he has his helmet atm. He is working on getting rest of gear.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Learning to ride

Why is he looking down at the bike in all the pictures?

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

Hope he's not tach looking, he needs to feel. Dont get used ta looking @ the tach on starts.

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

I was making sure that I had everything right, bike in neutral, hands in the right places, etc.... I wasn't moving in any of those pictures I don't think. wife says I was in the last pic. The last thing I wanted to do is crack up her baby....think it is more valuable to her than me.............

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-ST7377/1.59.502.3 (67150) Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

If he has ever ridden a bicycle before and driven a manual car before he will be fine. I road my first bike 20 miles to the msf course a week after i bought it. Get em a jacket and some boots with more ankle support. Keep it up with the baby steps.

Do either of you two know anyone with a dirty bike and a field / someplace to ride one? They would be good to practice on too. Lighter, and they'd definitely handle a fall better. Plus the ground is a good bit softer than pavement.

Unfortunately saddle time on a dirt bike isn't always an option, but they will teach you a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
    I was making sure that I had everything right, bike in neutral, hands in the right places, etc.... I wasn't moving in any of those pictures I don't think. wife says I was in the last pic. The last thing I wanted to do is crack up her baby....think it is more valuable to her than me.............
    Welcome to the forums, and more importantly to the addiction! This is a great place to help get you started and to learn. My first bike was too big, too fast, and I was stupid and WAY under-geared. I was lucky and never had a problem, but my entire outlook on riding has changed in large part to the great advice from these forums.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for the tip slyder...I don't think I know someone with a dirt bike but I can ask.

Mrz - I am looking forward to any help I can get, my wife is really looking forward to a day when I am able to ride with her.......and so am I.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
    my wife is really looking forward to a day when I am able to ride with her.......and so am I.
    It's cool to see the typical situation reversed.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128