Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Locks

Locks

Any suggestions on cable locks for the bike? I currently have a Kryptonite disc lock, but would like to add a cable one just for safety. I've been hearing a lot about bikes being stolen this summer and I would prefer not to become a victim. It's garaged when I'm at home, but not at my parent's house so looking for multiple ways to secure it. I see a lot of the Kryptonite cables locks are chains with covers over them, makes me nervous it would scratch the rims if moved around - anybody with experience with them? Other brands to check out? General suggestions on what to look for?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2016 Ninja 650

Re: Locks

I use both the Kryptonite cable and the big "u" lock as well as a disk lock, depending on what bike. If they want it, they will get it, but at least I can make 'em work for it and hopefully wake me up in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by b0xmonkey View Post
    I use both the Kryptonite cable and the big "u" lock as well as a disk lock, depending on what bike. If they want it, they will get it, but at least I can make 'em work for it and hopefully wake me up in the process.
    My thought exactly on if someone wants it they will get it. But firm believer that I need to make them work for it in hopes of them giving up or someone hearing and stopping it in action. Being from a LEO family, one doesn't have much trust in others. My bike sits below the window so I would think I would hear someone screwing with my bike in time to stop them. And it's below my neighbor's window (you can literally spit into their house the houses are so close!) too so they would be all over it if someone tried to take it.

I have a Ninja 250, so it's not big and should easily fit a multitude of locks.

Do you combine the "u" lock with the cable lock, or utilize them separately? I saw a Kryptonite cable with double loops but no lock on it today, figuring it can be utilized with different locks depending on preference, bike, etc.

2016 Ninja 650

Does.your.disk lock have an alarm? Do you have a cover over the bike?

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I know that there's a thief somewhere that would target a 5 year old Ninja 250, but I would not obsess over it, your bike is not near the top of the list of stolen bikes in the US. They tend to go after newer, bigger and more Honda-ish sport bikes. Park next to newer Honda 600RR/1000RRs whenever possible.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I use a "Sportlock" I think it is called. It is a series of ball and socket connections, probably 1" in diameter. That is coated in a sleeve of plastic tubing. As long as you attach it to something permanent, it would be the last thing removed. Only problem is that it isn't overly mobile.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/

I have one of these disc locks with the motion sensor alarm, it's fooking loud and will definitely wake you up if it's under your window and you're a light sleeper, me... I sleep like the dead so it wouldn't wake me up, but it woke up my ex-GF one time in Somerville last fall, so I'm assuming someone was fucking with it. it's loud enough to wake up others and scare the theif away I think unless they're just picking it up and tossing it in a van. if you use this with a cable lock to something I bet it would be pretty hard to get it and the thief would think again

The nicer ones have loops for the actual cable so it will set off the alarm if they are trying to cut the chain too...
    Locks-12_1-jpg

they also sell ground anchors if you don't have something to chain it too.
    Locks-9_1-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by scubasteveRR; 07-08-14 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Does.your.disk lock have an alarm? Do you have a cover over the bike?
    No alarm on the disc lock. Yes, I do keep it covered at my parents' house (or anywhere else I would go and can't garage overnight)

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I know that there's a thief somewhere that would target a 5 year old Ninja 250, but I would not obsess over it, your bike is not near the top of the list of stolen bikes in the US. They tend to go after newer, bigger and more Honda-ish sport bikes. Park next to newer Honda 600RR/1000RRs whenever possible.
    LOL, yea, I figure it's not top on the list. But I'm thinking ahead a bit as I plan to upgrade to a Ninja 600 or something of the sort next summer so if I'm going to buy a lock I figure I should be buy with the thought in mind of the next bike. Would rather not spend money this summer on something which would not be up to par for protecting a more "wanted" bike and have to go buy something else next summer.

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Will go look them up and see what will fit the budget!

2016 Ninja 650

Buy a V-Strom! Theft worries solved!