Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Mass RMV question- track bikes

Mass RMV question- track bikes

Question for folks on MA requirements for track bikes with regards to insurance. Just moved to MA from MD. In MD I keep my track-only bike insured, specifically for comprehensive (theft). For MA it appears that to have an insurance policy on the bike (same company- Progressive) I also need to provide a tag number. Of course my bike wouldn't pass inspection so I wouldn't want to or be able to tag it.

Anyone else carry insurance on their track bikes in MA and avoid tagging? I have to assume for off-road bikes and such this occurs but I was told it would depend on the specific vehicle, and of course my track bike is a street bike. I'd like to know options before dealing with the RMV!

Thanks for any help here!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Mass RMV question- track bikes

I have never changed title on my track bike (bought the bike new). I still have the original IL title. I have also never carried insurance on it. I did inquire with Progressive and explained it was for off-road/private use only. You should be able to insure the bike for theft-only... In which case, no plate should be required...at least that was how I understood it when I explained it to Progressive last year (and decided the theft insurance wasn't worth it). I already moved states again so not sure if it's different now.

Lifer

You can get plates and never bring it to inspection. All my bikes are like that. I just don't ride them on the roads. It does cost you more that way.

Might be easier to see if you can add a rider to your homeowners / renters insurance that will specifically cover theft of the bike than all the trouble with registering it.

how do you insure dirt bikes and other off road vehicles ?

why would you not carry liability ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    You can get plates and never bring it to inspection. All my bikes are like that. I just don't ride them on the roads. It does cost you more that way.
    Good to know- that may work if I decide to re-title in MA. Does MA come after you at all for not getting it inspected or is it only enforced if you ride it on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Might be easier to see if you can add a rider to your homeowners / renters insurance that will specifically cover theft of the bike than all the trouble with registering it.
    Thanks- I did try that route (Geico renter's) and they were explicit that motorized vehicles wouldn't be covered. I didn't shop around assuming most insurers would be similar. Track gear, etc. of course is covered, just not the bike.

drubin43,

I have my trackbike insured with Liberty Mutual solely for theft/fire, and without registering it with the RMV. Previously I had an uninsured trackbike stolen and swore never again. Initially LM balked, but a combination of me threatening to switch insurers and communications with their underwriting group to convince them that it was a non-road-going vehicle, would never cause them an insurable loss other than theft/fire, and that they should think of it more like art than a vehicle won the day. It's essentially the equivalent of putting vehicle insurance in "storage mode" over the winter -- except that this vehicle is not registered with the RMV.

Hope this helps.

Dustin

/s/ Dustin
    LRRS #767
    '09 R6 / '11 848 Evo / '99 RS250

David, i'm gonna pee on your bike at Summit next time i see you.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by drubin43 View Post
    Good to know- that may work if I decide to re-title in MA. Does MA come after you at all for not getting it inspected or is it only enforced if you ride it on the road?
    It's only enforced if you ride on mass roads. I live close enough to ct that I can safely ride un inspected bikes the half mile to the border than I'm free. Other states don't bother you if you don't have an inspection from another state.