Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

MSF Experince Rider Course taken 2 Up.

MSF Experince Rider Course taken 2 Up.

Priscilla and I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Experienced Rider Course 2 up last weekend. I am an instructor, so I have ridden all the exercises many times.

It was really interesting to take the class 2 up. The ERC has quite a bit of slow maneuvering, both as exercises and simply inching around in "traffic" cueing up for exercises. For those familiar with "the box" it was actually challenging again. It was really cool working with her to make it work. We took the class on a 2001 SV650, with such a light bike body weight has a big effect. We could really see the difference technique makes.

The more "high speed" maneuvers were fun too. Because the range where exercises are conducted is necessarily small I could at times see Priscilla's helmet as I was setting up 180 degree corners. She really had to make a pretty pronounced head turn to make everything work smoothly.

We had the bike banked pretty steeply at times and the repeating nature of the exercises we had time to experiment with what works for us in cornering. This isn't something we normally do when just "out for a ride".

It was an interesting, if hot, day. I'd never really considered the Experienced Rider Course really all that great for truly experienced riders. Still, I am often surprised to find someone riding for 50 years that doesn't understand counter steering. I used to take it as a spring refresher before heading out on the road, and it's great for that. It kept me from reinforcing bad habits.

However, riding the ERC 2 up was fun. It was also challenging in some ways in the sense that there were things that I felt we improved. Priscilla enjoyed it and I feel that it will markedly contribute to out ability to ride quickly and comfortably over the sort of roads that we like to. It was good fun.

For those that ride 2 up I'd really recommended taking the ERC together. It's pretty cheap for what you get of it and it's an enjoyable fun 6 hours.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by taxonomy; 05-31-11 at 04:16 PM.
    Me: "Normal people wouldn't do this."
    Peter: "First you have to operationalize with normal is."

Re: MSF Experince Rider Course taken 2 Up.

That sounds like a great idea.

defining "budget tourer" ctbandit's Avatar

Awesome!v Thanks a lot for the write up.I'v been thinking about doing this for some time, this def reinforces my suspicion that it would be a good learning experience for us.

It is really so worth it. I think in RI the ERC is super cheap, maybe $60. It seems to be about $150 in MA. My school, PV riders charges per bike, not per passenger. I'm not sure how other schools work. Best to call ahead and OK this. The MSF allows for taking the class 2 up.

It's a fun day together and you'll both learn something. Priscilla was always fine as a passenger and has a lot of faith in me as a rider. Even starting from there I think we're more confident now. This is a good investment in time and money both.

The ERC is great for someone starting their 2nd or 3rd season, or for returning riders but as a 2 up class it's really good.

Plus, if you're a good rider to start with you can really trip out other class participants nailing stuff 2 up.

Me: "Normal people wouldn't do this."
    Peter: "First you have to operationalize with normal is."