Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NADA Guides Retail Values

NADA Guides Retail Values

In your experience, what is the relationship between the NADA guides average retail values for used bikes and actual private sales prices? I know a lot of people use the range between KBB trade-in and retail as an approximation for this, but not sure how the NADA values should be used.

From the NADA website:
    "When purchasing a vehicle from a private party, can the clean retail price be used to determine the value they expect to receive? What is the definition of each valuation?

There is no right answer to this. The spread of values allows a user to look at all possible values depending on the condition of the vehicle. If you mouse over the value term, each value has a brief definition regarding what that value represents related to the condition of the vehicle. These values are based upon the condition of the vehicle, mileage, vehicle history and local market conditions; they are in no way related to reports of Private Party sales which are only speculative with little or no data to back it up. Public perception is that private sales result in a higher sale price which is not always true, especially now that dealers offer certified pre-owned vehicles. Keep in mind also that a dealer may mention the term consumer retail, which is merely a blended value of all the National data we collect. It is only provided to dealers as a guide."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: NADA Guides Retail Values

When it comes to the "book value" it seems they are way off when it comes to bikes.

I believe the market, condition, mods, mileage, etc. determine the value more than the book.

The Guides seem to be used by dealers more than in private sales.

Quote Originally Posted by 03Worc9R View Post
    When it comes to the "book value" it seems they are way off when it comes to bikes.

I believe the market, condition, mods, mileage, etc. determine the value more than the book.

The Guides seem to be used by dealers more than in private sales.
    100% right

Guides are just that GUIDES.. the Condition and Market are the biggest factors. KBB and NADA never once wrote a check for a bike. ( or car, boat, etc ) If gas is going to hit $5.00/gal you know bikes will be selling at a premium.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Of course the time of year is HUGE on how much a bike costs. You will spend 3k on a bike at the end of the season- that at the beginning of the season you would have paid 4k for.

What I like to do is constantly check and familiarize myself with Craigslist prices. This gives me the idea of the condition the bike is in, and how much the guy is asking. Quickly you learn what a GREAT price is, and what an awful price is.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyZ View Post
    Of course the time of year is HUGE on how much a bike costs. You will spend 3k on a bike at the end of the season- that at the beginning of the season you would have paid 4k for.

What I like to do is constantly check and familiarize myself with Craigslist prices. This gives me the idea of the condition the bike is in, and how much the guy is asking. Quickly you learn what a GREAT price is, and what an awful price is.
    The catch to that (something I've been doing as well) is that you only see what the market is asking. You don't see what people are willing to pay, unless you spend a lot of time on there and remember many of the bikes as they are relisted with lower prices.

nedirtriders.com