Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Back in the sadle

Back in the sadle

After weeks of looking and hagling I brought this home yesterday:
    It'sa '99 with 9k miles. Undertail and hugger, full Muzzy's system with jet kit. Pulls up with throtle in 3rd gear. This thing rocks. It will kill me, but it rocks! Any one going to (rainy ass) bike night tomorrow, or want to ride Thursday?

ken
    haverhill ma

Only motorcyclists understand why dogs stick their heads out car windows

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '05 DL1000k / '02 DR650se
    04 FXDXi (RIP)
    '04 SV650s(gone)
    '99 ZX-9r (squirl's new ride: RIP)
    2k1 GSXR750(stolen-RIP)
    2k3 KLX400sr(gone)

Back in the sadle

Sweet bike man, I think my next is gonna be a Kawi 9, hopefully RR

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Back in the sadle

You have excellent taste in bikes and colors, Ken.

Congrats.

Your bike has half the mileage of my 1.5 year old bike. So sad. I hope you can ride it more than the PO. That bike looks like it wants to be ridden more. Poor thing.

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Back in the sadle

what's up w/ all the Kaws lately?

seriously... sweet ride, what didja end up paying for it?

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Back in the sadle

Back in the sadle

SCORE!

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

Everybody to the limit!

Back in the sadle

Most excellent choice Ken! Y'know, when I was test riding that Gixxer 750, I thought of you, I thought no wonder the old man was always bitching so much about the ergos, now you won't even have to spend $300 putting the bars back where they should be

And the contingent of green kawasakis continues to grow...I count 5 now around here: You, stoinky, stewie, Rye, and myself. And I happen to know hmpstr3 rides a green ZX-6 same as mine, he just hasn't admitted to it yet. That's 6 where one month ago there were three. Viva la revolutione!

Back in the sadle

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    And the contingent of green kawasakis continues to grow...I count 5 now around here: You, stoinky, stewie, Rye, and myself. And I happen to know hmpstr3 rides a green ZX-6 same as mine, he just hasn't admitted to it yet. That's 6 where one month ago there were three. Viva la revolutione!
    Mine's the ultra pretty pearl green and far superior though.

Everybody to the limit!

Back in the sadle

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    Mine's the ultra pretty pearl green and far superior though.
    No dissension in the ranks! Remember, all green bikes are equal...some are simply more equal than others.

Candy paint jobs really do look good. That's the only thing I miss about the 6E. The purple on the R is candy, but it's just not the same. Any idea why there was only one year for the candy green, and only on the 9R? Surely it can't be *just* so certain 2001 9R owners can feel superior

Back in the sadle

No dissension in the ranks! Remember, all green bikes are equal...some are simply more equal than others.

Candy paint jobs really do look good. That's the only thing I miss about the 6E. The purple on the R is candy, but it's just not the same. Any idea why there was only one year for the candy green, and only on the 9R? Surely it can't be *just* so certain 2001 9R owners can feel superior
    No idea why they only did it one year. The 12R was the same color in 2001 too, though it had some stick on graphics as well. All I know is that after seeing that color in person, I just had to have one in that color. I was all set to spend my annual bonus on one in the Winter of 2001 and then we didn't get a bonus. I was so bummed.

In March of 2002, my wife contacted three of my riding friends to find out precisely what I wanted, found a new leftover green 2001 model in Rutland VT, had it deliverd to the house and surpised me with it on my birthday. Great wife eh? Love her dearly.

Back in the sadle

Hey, thanks guys. It's good to be back on a bike that doesn't sound like it's going to explode on the highway! Don't get me wrong, I love my KLX for around town and in the dirt it is slightly better than the ZX-9r, but that big-bike fealing can't be beat! I'm glad that some one else saw the pain of the GSXR, but I had indeed SPENT the extra money, and time and every thing else on getting the bike sorted out for my old-ass needs and just finished her the DAY BEFORE whe was taken. I paid $4500 for this one. I was looking at a YZF600r for $3k, but the guy selling it didn't call me back for over a week and I knew that he was waiting for a new R-1 to come in at "his" dealer. I was afraid that I'd never get a bike this summer, and I was afrid that I'd piss away the settlment money on things like food and bills. I had this deal ovvered to me and snatched it up. I also know of a SWEET 750 Monster that the kid is desperate to get rid of. I KNOW that he'll let it go for $4k, probably for less. In the end though, the ZX-9 was always at the top of my list, right under a VFR, but getting a good deal on a VFR that doesn't have a million miles on it is next to imposable. I know the bike and it's previous owner and am happy that I got it. It sure is GREEN though. I think the windshield has to go, but all the other mods are already done. Excep for the braided break lines and the... actually, that's the only thing that I can think of that I'd add to the bike, except may be a Corbin seat.

04 FXDXi (RIP)
    '04 SV650s(gone)
    2k1 GSXR750(stolen-RIP)
    2k3 KLX400sr(gone)

Back in the sadle

No idea why they only did it one year. The 12R was the same color in 2001 too, though it had some stick on graphics as well. All I know is that after seeing that color in person, I just had to have one in that color. I was all set to spend my annual bonus on one in the Winter of 2001 and then we didn't get a bonus. I was so bummed.

In March of 2002, my wife contacted three of my riding friends to find out precisely what I wanted, found a new leftover green 2001 model in Rutland VT, had it deliverd to the house and surpised me with it on my birthday. Great wife eh? Love her dearly.
    OMG, what a wounderfull woman. A keeper. Mine (non wife) is spending her money on her new bike (a 600 Katana) and was tring to get me to ride that (when she didn't want to; I was supposed to try to follow along on the KLX when she did) instead of getting a new one. Actually, now that I think of it, she's been spending all of MY money and time on that thing. Smart woman, and she's intrested in at leas trying a recreational activity that gives me such pleasure. I think that she might be a keeper too.

04 FXDXi (RIP)
    '04 SV650s(gone)
    2k1 GSXR750(stolen-RIP)
    2k3 KLX400sr(gone)

Everybody to the limit!

Back in the sadle

The green grows on you, it's like mold Agree on the screen though, mine came with a smoke screen and I thought that looked decent. Let me know how those braided lines work for you, I'm considering doing the same. Nice bike. Those front flushmounts look a bit dangerous, maybe it's just the angle?

Back in the sadle

Cool bike man. I want a 9er but I'm gonna wait till next season so I can save some dough.

Seems like the kawi's are taking over NESR!

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Back in the sadle

Originally posted by SWEET_Z
    Cool bike man. I want a 9er but I'm gonna wait till next season so I can save some dough.

Seems like the kawi's are taking over NESR!
    I truly believe that the 9R is the best street bike you can buy. It was never developed as a track tool and is not in it's element on a track, but it performs just wonderfully for every day riding/commuting. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd have lots more bikes than the two I have now (three if you count my wife's bike) but I bet I'd still ride the 9R the most.

Back in the sadle

The green grows on you, it's like mold Agree on the screen though, mine came with a smoke screen and I thought that looked decent. Let me know how those braided lines work for you, I'm considering doing the same. Nice bike. Those front flushmounts look a bit dangerous, maybe it's just the angle?
    Ya, I think that the smoked screen would look better. As far as braded lines go, that won't be untill next year if at all. From what I hear the brakes on these things are killer, and may not need to be tweeked. I won't know untill after I get o put some miles on her. I'm not sure what you meen by the signals looking dangerous. They are visable from the front OK. The kid selling the Monster took hiwithout off completely, along with his mirrors! Style over substance.

My #1 task right now is figuring out how to return the suspention to factory settings and what kind of steering dampner this is and how to adjust it or if I need it at all:

04 FXDXi (RIP)
    '04 SV650s(gone)
    2k1 GSXR750(stolen-RIP)
    2k3 KLX400sr(gone)

Back in the sadle

Originally posted by Ken
    OMG, what a wounderfull woman. A keeper. Mine (non wife) is spending her money on her new bike (a 600 Katana) and was tring to get me to ride that (when she didn't want to; I was supposed to try to follow along on the KLX when she did) instead of getting a new one. Actually, now that I think of it, she's been spending all of MY money and time on that thing. Smart woman, and she's intrested in at leas trying a recreational activity that gives me such pleasure. I think that she might be a keeper too.
    I truly believe that the Ann is the best wife for me. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd have lots more wives than the one I have now but I bet I'd still ride the Ann the most.

Back in the sadle

Originally posted by Ken
    My #1 task right now is figuring out how to return the suspention to factory settings and what kind of steering dampner this is and how to adjust it or if I need it at all:
    Really doubt you need the damper. Mine has an extra 18mm of rear height (excluding sag adjustments) and I've never had headshake in 18,000 miles. I don't ride very agressively but I think I drive out of corners pretty well and it's neve shown any instability.

The stock suspension settings are detailed in your manual.

Back in the sadle

The stock suspension settings are detailed in your manual.
    I do not have one. I have to call G&G and order one.

04 FXDXi (RIP)
    '04 SV650s(gone)
    2k1 GSXR750(stolen-RIP)
    2k3 KLX400sr(gone)

Back in the sadle

I have an article about suspension setup on the C model 9Rs. I can email you the scanned images. IIRC, it does not mention the stock settings though.