Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

the human interest side of motocycling

Wednesday, August 24, 2005
    Riding the open road
    Motorcyclist takes a spin with Rochester neighbor after illness

By AARON SANBORN
    Democrat Staff Writer

ROCHESTER -- No matter what obstacles life may throw at them, Jeff Weber and his 72-year-old neighbor Simone Roberts won't slow down.

This was apparent on a recent afternoon when the pair took a ride on Route 202A on Weber's motorcycle, which in itself isn't an unusual occurrence as bikers will often cruise 202A on nice summer afternoons, but what made this ride different was the two people on the bike.

Weber was an avid motorcyclist until four years ago when the 55-year-old was stricken ill and spent six weeks at the hospital in a coma. Weber recovered but was unable to ride his beloved motorcycle during that four-year span.

Currently Weber suffers from polycystic kidney disease and is awaiting a kidney transplant. He spends three days a week on dialysis. When Weber isn't on dialysis he often takes his bike out for short after-dinner runs.

“I've had problems up until this year when I felt safe enough and comfortable to get back into it,” Weber said. “As sick as I was, I treasure a lot of things now, like riding down 202A at 35 miles per hour. It's a beautiful ride and I like to enjoy it.”

So while presented with a beautiful summer's day recently, Weber decided to offer Roberts a ride. At first, Roberts turned down the ride because she had to meet her daughter for lunch but when offered a second time, she simply couldn't refuse.

“It was a beautiful New England day,” Roberts said. “How could I pass it up?”

So Roberts, with her small oxygen tank in hand, hopped on the bike and experienced a thrill that she hasn't had in a long time.

“I haven't been on a bike for 30 years, I always liked the wind in my hair and face,” Roberts said. “I don't think I've ever seen anyone on a bike with oxygen.”

Weber added, “And I don't have a kidney, we make a pair.”

At least for one day these setbacks didn't matter as the pair enjoyed a quick ride down 202A into the Strafford area before turning around and heading back to their residence of Dustin Homestead, where the two came to rest at Weber's garage.

“I had my hands in the air,” Roberts said. “Just like the days of my youth.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Resident Bosox Aficionado mikem317's Avatar

Good story!

Regards,
    Mike

Where were you on October 27, 2004? // Got Wallpaper? // Special Discount for Boston Red Sox Fans! // Because even Alex Rodriguez has feelings too...

"Everytime I see a Yankee's hat, I see a swastika just a little off kilter." -- Bill "Spaceman" Lee

THAT is what's called LIVING...

Needed a smile and definitely got one after reading that

thanks!

Me? Sarchastic?? Nooooo!! FazerChic's Avatar

That's a great story. Thanks...certainly puts life in perspective.

My shit:

2004 Yamaha FZ6 (Naked....mmmmmmm) (FOR SALE!!!! CONTACT ME FOR INFO!)
    2004 Mini Cooper - Deal's Gap tested and approved

Guys on sportbikes are so hot....until they take their helmet off. Just leave the damn thing on already!

Beware the counterfeit Mini!

stories like that often make me feel like an ass for complaining about my situation