Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NH riders

NH riders

Just trying to get a feel for how many riders are being impacted by the new NH inspection laws.
    "All bikes must have OEM exhaust...stamped OEM... or they cannot get an inspection sticker."

The DOT had cars watching some stations over the weekend.

I know other states are watching to see what happens in NH over this, to see if they want to implement this law too.

Anyone had any issues with this? I will be selling one of my bikes rather than spending more money trying to make it legal.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I like cats.......but I can't eat a whole one by myself.

Re: NH riders

when did that law pass? this is the first i have heard of it

This is the Exhaust section of the NH DMV inspepection requirements.

PART Saf-C 3218 EXHAUST SYSTEM

Saf-C 3218.01 Inspection of Exhaust System.

(a) The exhaust system, including the exhaust pipe, muffler, resonator, catalytic converter, tailpipe, hangers, brackets and all other component parts shall be inspected for leakage, improper fastening or excessive noise pursuant to RSA 266:59.

(b) All vehicles shall be equipped with mufflers in good working condition and shall meet the requirements of RSA 266:59.

(c) All replacement exhaust systems shall meet the requirements of RSA 266:59. Trucks that are not equipped with a camper or other enclosed structure for carrying passengers may be inspected without a tail pipe, as long as the muffler extends past the passenger compartment and has a down spout.

(d) A vehicle shall be rejected if:

(1) It has no tailpipe or muffler;

(2) There are holes, rusted or worn surfaces in any component parts or supporting hardware;

(3) There are loose or leaking joints or leaking seams in any section;

(4) Any portion of the exhaust system is not securely fastened;

(5) Any portion of the exhaust system passes through the passenger compartment or trunk;

(6) Muffler jackets or flexible pipe, which does not seal itself, is used in the exhaust system;

(7) The tail pipe end is pinched or damaged;

(8) The muffler has loose or missing interior baffles, or holes which have been repaired with patches;

(9) There is a muffler cut-out, muffler by-pass or similar device which allows excessive or unusual noise; or

(10) Excessive fumes, smoke, flame, gas, oil or fuel residue escapes in violation of RSA 266:59.

Source. (See Revision Notes at chapter heading Saf-C 3200) #8915, eff 6-22-07

Saf-C 3218.02 Outside Pipes.

(a) The outside pipe, side-pipe or exhaust pipe shall meet the following requirements:

(1) The muffler shall be installed according to the vehicle manufacturer's specifications and shall not give off excessive noise, fumes, smoke, flame, gas, oil or fuel residue, pursuant to RSA 266:59;

(2) No exhaust gases shall enter the passenger compartment;

(3) Any flexi-type exhaust piping shall be self-sealing, free of leaks, holes, patches or defects, properly fastened to the vehicle and used only on the exhaust side of the emission control system; and

(4) No portion of the exhaust system or exhaust pipe shall extend, in a horizontal direction, beyond the limits of the vehicle's fender wells without heat shielding.

Source. (See Revision Notes at chapter heading Saf-C 3200) #8915, eff 6-22-07

Also, here is the noise issues:
    TITLE XXI
    MOTOR VEHICLES
    CHAPTER 266
    EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
    Miscellaneous
    Section 266:59
    266:59 Muffler; Prevention of Noise. –
    I. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler as defined in RSA 259:66, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a way.
    II. The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes, smoke, flame, gas, oil or fuel residue.
    III. [Repealed.]
    IV. No person shall operate a motor vehicle with a straight pipe exhaust system; ""straight pipe exhaust system'' means any straight- through exhaust system that does not contain baffles or otherwise does not meet the definition of muffler in RSA 259:66. Any person who violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 for a first offense, not less than $250 for a second offense in a calendar year, and not less than $500 for a third or subsequent offense in a calendar year.

Source. 1913, 81:5. 1921, 119:11. PL 103:14. RL 119:23. RSA 263:46. 1961, 205:1. 1981, 146:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1982. 2004, 259:1, eff. June 16, 2004. 2005, 266:1, eff. Aug. 21, 2005.

so, just as long as you are not running straight pipes then you are all set.

yeah few of my friends told me something about this but they said nothing was brought up and had no problem getting stickers.

I was told by 2 inspection stations that the sticker books have written on them..."Exhaust must be OEM...must be stamped OEM"

I know that the HB 95 law did not pass, and it is not written into the law that the exhaust must be OEM, but they gave me a hard time about it.

Also the testing is not accurate. 106 decibals measured at a 45 degree angle 20 inches from the pipe...needs to be uniform to the type of outlet. My pipes are slash cut with baffles, and dump out to the side, so the reading they took was in front of the outlett. While most pipes dump the exhaust to the rear, so the reading is from the side of the openning.

Either way, it is the same for me, but it would be nice if they were given accurate information. The NH state trooper website last year had the words "No aftermarket exhaust" appended to the law, and it never was.

Quote Originally Posted by noudidnt View Post
    I was told by 2 inspection stations that the sticker books have written on them..."Exhaust must be OEM...must be stamped OEM"

I know that the HB 95 law did not pass, and it is not written into the law that the exhaust must be OEM, but they gave me a hard time about it.

Also the testing is not accurate. 106 decibals measured at a 45 degree angle 20 inches from the pipe...needs to be uniform to the type of outlet. My pipes are slash cut with baffles, and dump out to the side, so the reading they took was in front of the outlett. While most pipes dump the exhaust to the rear, so the reading is from the side of the openning.

Either way, it is the same for me, but it would be nice if they were given accurate information. The NH state trooper website last year had the words "No aftermarket exhaust" appended to the law, and it never was.

If they site the book and a rule in the book, then ask to see the book. they are taking your $ and denying you a sticker based on it, so they should be able to point it out to you, my guess is that they didn't want to get snagged for over decible pipes and have no DB meter, so they made that up to cover their own a$$es

I got a bolt on yosh that I chopped on my bike. It’s loud but it sounds great. I brought it to a dealership and they had me rev it up at 3,200 rpm. They guy said it failed for being too loud and didn’t even bother throwing the meter on it.

I decided to bring it to a private shop, they threw the meter on it and they said it passed but just barely. I’ll be going to those guys from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by reiobard View Post
    If they site the book and a rule in the book, then ask to see the book. they are taking your $ and denying you a sticker based on it, so they should be able to point it out to you, my guess is that they didn't want to get snagged for over decible pipes and have no DB meter, so they made that up to cover their own a$$es
    true...I know the pipes are still over the limit so I did not give them a hard time. Either way the laws are comming, so I am selling the bike to get it out of the way early. I was more concerned that some of the shops are operating on incorrect information.

I *THOUGHT* the OEM thing didn't make it past the house. There's far too many exceptions that'd hafta be made to have OEM-only exhausts available for EVERY year/make/model out there. It'd be IMPOSSIBLE to get ANY manufacturer of exhausts to comply with every OEM stipulation...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

just make an "OEM" branding iron and melt that shit into your tailpipe

Everybody to the limit!

Wait, we are supposed to inspect our bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I *THOUGHT* the OEM thing didn't make it past the house. There's far too many exceptions that'd hafta be made to have OEM-only exhausts available for EVERY year/make/model out there. It'd be IMPOSSIBLE to get ANY manufacturer of exhausts to comply with every OEM stipulation...
    Your right, it didn't. Thats why I called the kid on it at the inspection station. But too many people dont read the actual law. I would have thought the inspectors themselves would know, but some dont. When I told him that law did not pass, he got angry with me and would not talk further. I had to get the owner to take a meter read off the pipes, and he did not even wait for me to take the choke off.

Quote Originally Posted by noudidnt View Post
    Your right, it didn't. Thats why I called the kid on it at the inspection station. But too many people dont read the actual law. I would have thought the inspectors themselves would know, but some dont. When I told him that law did not pass, he got angry with me and would not talk further. I had to get the owner to take a meter read off the pipes, and he did not even wait for me to take the choke off.
    in that law it doesn't define "Excessive noise" so what level of the meter are they cutting it off at?

they do have the limit set at 106 db. My problem is that I already have baffles, but cannot restrict the exhaust further, as I had the engine reworked on the bike, and restrictin the pipe would raise hell with the engine. Rather than spend more money to bring it back to stock, it is less costly to sell it and get a new bike.

the only time i have even gotten a comment was last year, when i brought it in and was told "you put this on tomorrow, right?"

i'm fine with that.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

In hibernation

That is correct. The bill failed in the house. I actually covered an article about it when it failed (thank god) since 80% of riders would have been out of commission.

Yahoo for NH!!! I can ride my loud cycle without a helmet to get my medical : while slinging my pistol for all to see. Then watch some lesbians get hitched at city hall! Live free or Die MF's.

Ooops, sorry for that digression.

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster View Post
    Yahoo for NH!!! I can ride my loud cycle without a helmet to get my medical : while slinging my pistol for all to see. Then watch some lesbians get hitched at city hall! Live free or Die MF's.

Ooops, sorry for that digression.
    forget to take your meds today?

do you dissagree that we should be able to put aftermarket exhausts on our bikes?

Worked with a guy who had dual Yosh cans on his R1. Had an officer following him, so he pulled into one of his friends garages to ditch the tail, well the tail pulled in behind him and told him his bike had illegal exhaust. Park it, come back with a truck / trailer and get it or else.

He never measured the DBs. I think he did look into the cans and could see "straight through".

But given the above laws that Reiobard posted???? As long as you meet the decibel reqs, then you're fine. Well, except the dood that shortened the Yosh can, I think. I mean hey, you cut down a can You technically tampered with the muffler. I didn't see anything though

I've heard about the night stick down the can to do a "baffle check". Uhm, right there...don't need a night stick. See that perforated tube? That sir, is a baffle. If the bike passes the DB limit, leave it be.

Actually no, completely ban after market exhaust. Lets F the economy up more by putting more companies out of business.

I just checked my stock exhaust cans. No where do they say "OEM" on them. So I guess my 2007 gixxer 1k would fail, with the stock exhaust on it....with a BS law like that. I have a feeling many others would to.

Quote Originally Posted by reiobard View Post
    forget to take your meds today?

do you dissagree that we should be able to put aftermarket exhausts on our bikes?
    No I agree. However I do not like street bikes that are too loud either. I live in Portsmouth and no offense to the H-D riders out there... But WTF! There are some ridiculously loud H-D's who like to rev it up while going through market square. Is this really necessary? I love bikes and my Duc is not quiet but a little throttle control in town would help keep the peace. Even 70HP doesn't need to be rev'd up to go 30 mph.

Loud pipes have now caused everyone to be punished so a few can be bad ass weekend warriors. Sorry, I need a beer now.

Last edited by brewmaster; 05-18-09 at 08:37 PM.
    M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

<---Thats a nice A$$! EFD 05 1K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster View Post
    No I agree. However I do not like street bikes that are too loud either. I live in Portsmouth and no offense to the H-D riders out there... But WTF! There are some ridiculously loud H-D's who like to rev it up while going through market square. Is this really necessary? I love bikes and my Duc is not quiet but a little throttle control in town would help keep the peace. Even 70HP doesn't need to be rev'd up to go 30 mph.

Loud pipes have now caused everyone to be punished so a few can be bad ass weekend warriors. Sorry, I need a beer now.
    I actually just rode through market square this wekkend. I had never rode through there before and with all the poeple around there i didnt even want to rev it up. After we got out of there by buddy told me cops stand in the crowd with meters and will walk out and ticket loud exhausts.

I got my bike inspected a month ago at freedom cycle. I think the guy rev'd it to 4k and he didnt even say anything. My bike is loud as hell, but a little throttle control and just common sense goes a long ways some times.

05 Gsxr 1k Black/Silver, Yosh pipe, 8k HIDs, a very big grin

not entirely motorcycle related but very relevant to this topic since cars and bikes follow the same exhaust rules.

My father (a mechanic who is certified to perform NH inspections) had a car with an aftermarket exhaust on it and kept getting pulled over. he would then get in arguments with the police officers about the law, so he printed it out and kept it with him in the glove box. One time a police officer tried to make him put out his cigarette because the officer didn't want to smell the smoke, to which my father told him that he can smoke in his own car if he wanted to and if the officer didn't like it then he could leave. (that one turned into my dad going and complaining the the chief about the officer as the officer did not like being called on his bluffs)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast