Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NH Road Skills test details?

Red face NH Road Skills test details?

Could someone please share with me any details of the New Hampshire road skills test? I want to practice up before my test next week and I can't find any information about it.

Thanks,
    Steve

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: NH Road Skills test details?

Slow speed weaving through tight cones. Accelerate and brake stopping in a box, figure 8, accelerate brake and turn in direction pointed. Slow speed tight weaving is where most loss points.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

low speed turning clock wise and counter clockwise too...

not sure if NH will be like MA where it is dependent on where you take your test, but I was stressing over the MA one for weeks and when I got to the testing location, all I had to do was drive down to the other end of the parking lot and on the way back do 2 full circles in both directions and 2 figure eights in whichever order I wanted to. I was also told to make it as wide as I wanted so long as I didn't touch the ground or drop the bike I would be fine.

Granted I have been riding for years before going to get my license, but even still I did the figure 8's and circles in the correct allotted amount of space you would in a real test. This was on a ninja 650r, I would recommend sticking with a more upright seated bike and comfortable power curve of a v-twin for the test.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure it was the u-turn that would snag most sport bike riders.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

There is a test sight by my house. The key to the slow cone weave is feathering the clutch in and out and keep the motor spinning (blips of the throttle, spinning motor acts as a gyroscope) also stay off the front brake and use the rear if you need it although pulling the clutch in should be enough

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    The key to the slow cone weave is feathering the clutch in and out and keep the motor spinning (blips of the throttle, spinning motor acts as a gyroscope) also stay off the front brake and use the rear if you need it although pulling the clutch in should be enough

Throttle up, feather the clutch, ride the rear brake and don't lean.

You used to be able to pick up a brochure at any local DMV explaining the test and showing a diagram of the road-test layout. The places that hold the road-test have it painted in their lots, so you could just as well go & practice. I think there's a layout painted in the side parking lot of Tri-Town arena in Hooksett too...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

Take the MSF course = no test.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post
    Take the MSF course = no test.

Except for the u-turn box, swerve, quick stop and cornering. Plus written test.

Apart from that, no test,

BUT, take the MSF class.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Except for the u-turn box, swerve, quick stop and cornering. Plus written test.

Apart from that, no test,

BUT, take the MSF class.
    Yes, but all of the "tests" are progressive and they teach you how to do everything, the right way.

Well worth it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post
    Yes, but all of the "tests" are progressive and they teach you how to do everything, the right way.

Well worth it.
    Damn right.

If you're trying to get out of the test, show up on a Spyder. All you have to do is an easy stop and an easy collision avoidance. If you want to learn to ride, see Degsy.

Lifer

Pretty sure the course is painted on the lot at Dover Pt too. That's where I took it like 17 years ago.

I also seem to remember a brochure.

The day I took it two people bombed. One on a sport bike with clipons. He couldn't do the U turn. The other guy was on his 2nd or 3rd try on a GL1100 'wing. He'd ripped every bit of plastic off of it and still couldn't manage the cone weave.

Do they still do the different radius U turns for different CC classes? I had a 400 and I seem to remember it being the smallest displacement for the mid-sized U.

4-5 years ago I was in Merrimack getting my license renewed. Didn't really want to go back to work, so I hung out watching some people take the MC test. Watched a teenager just kill it on a ratty dual-sport.

Take the MSF, it is cheaper than plastics on your bike.

Wonder how I found that out ...

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.

Lifer

Or get a nekkid.

No, take the MSF. Don't be like me..

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

The key to doing the turns in the test is to lean the bike way over and lean your body the other way (opposite of what you'd do at speed) to counter-balance it. I could easily pass the test on my old Concours with the pegs dragging or nearly dragging on every turn. Not sure if I could do it as easily on my current bike though...

When did the MSF courses start happening in NH? I got my license back in 86 and don't recall any classes being offered. I was given a brochure at the DMV, shown the painted course and told to practice when I got my permit. I took the ERC later in life.

Lifer

Quite some time: http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=NH

Just read a post here the other day where someone said they took it at NHTI. So must be offered there too.

I don't recall classes being offered in ~'94 when I took mine either.

So I recently picked up "Total Control" by Lee Parks. Just read the bit on slow-speed U-ies. Had never heard the lean the other way trick. Tried it out in front of the house last night ... very cool. Nearly had the 'strom doing 1 lane turns after the 2nd or 3rd try.

Last edited by nhbubba; 07-19-11 at 06:03 AM.

Lifer

They offer the courses at like six different locations in New Hampshire, including Pease AFB as I recall. Emily took hers last year.

Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar

at every DMV there is a tri-fold pamphlet with everything test explained in detail. I believe recently this pamphlet tripled in size and became a small book now that there is written testing. I read through it and it is all just above common knowledge with the people walking around these days.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yep, get your butt off the seat in the opposite direction to the way you are turning, turn bars the direction you are turning and LOOK where you want to end up. Either use steady throttle or feather the clutch. If you need to, use the rear brake to add a little drag. Stay away from front brake.

over at the laconia location (belknap mall) they have the course painted in the parking lot i went there a couple of times before my test so i could get the cones down, made it alot easier come test time. my tip in addition to the thers that were posted is to look ahead and not down at what you are doing i.e looking at the next cone ahead of you and not the one down near your feet. makes it a breeze. good luck anyways.

yea, it is dumb as hell b/c that is not how anyone rides. we don't go 10mph. especially us. they should actually be in a car and tell us the route to take and watch us ride.

Luckily i took mine on a 49cc scooter.........I know 49cc is not eligible...i figured out how to tho

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote Originally Posted by I8A4RE
    yea, it is dumb as hell b/c that is not how anyone rides. we don't go 10mph. especially us. they should actually be in a car and tell us the route to take and watch us ride.

Luckily i took mine on a 49cc scooter.........I know 49cc is not eligible...i figured out how to tho
    Hmmm ok.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by I8A4RE View Post
    we don't go 10mph. especially us.
    Who is "us"

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post

Yep, get your butt off the seat in the opposite direction to the way you are turning, turn bars the direction you are turning and LOOK where you want to end up. Either use steady throttle or feather the clutch. If you need to, use the rear brake to add a little drag. Stay away from front brake.

Some details...

Putting as much weight as possible on the outside peg is a very effective way to counter-weight. I've had dirt riders take the BRC who stood up on the outside peg. They can turn the little training bikes on a dime. But that technique may not go over well in a road test.

Make the LOOK a big head turn, don't just look with your eyes. Plant your head on your inside shoulder, so the U-turn exit is in the center of your view as early in the turn as possible. This is a concept called visual-directional control. Psychophysical studies indicate that directional control requires both central and peripheral vision and turning your head helps with that. In English, that means that your bike tends to go in the direction you are looking, so relying on peripheral vision to make it through a turn is a bad idea. This is an interesting topic for geeks, but I may have already put some people to sleep, so moving on...

One thing to avoid: when you lean the bike over, it will slow down because of the smaller wheel diameter. When the bike slows down, it will tend 'fall in', and then you put a foot down. You want to keep your speed constant. That's why feathering the clutch helps - it allows you to provide a bit more motor to compensate for the bike slowing down. It also provides a finer control over your speed than throttle adjustment, especially in first gear at that speed. At slightly faster speeds, these details become less important.

OK, this might be TMI. So just remember 3 things: max weight outside, max look inside, and steady speed, then go practice for about 15-30 minutes, and tight u-turns become ridiculously easy.

With that said - even if you get your license with a road test, TAKE THE COURSE. It's inexpensive in NH and what you learn could save your life.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast