Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

First Real Ride - R1 Report

Ok, sunny out today, so I dug out the bike, and the Devil SP2 low-mount slip-on I had ordered and went to work. 20 mins later VROOOM. (10 more mins to "install" the dremel fender eliminator kit!

The Devil exhaust gives a vicious throaty sound on that yamaha 1000cc. Very similar to my old Akrapovic, only louder.
    Here, take a listen. CLICK HERE TO SEE AND HEAR THE DEVIL SP2 LOW-MOUNT

I love the small (round) can and the carbon fiber look with the black frame on the new R1, so this is def the slip-on for me. I won't bitch about the 4hp gain, the bike didn't need it anyhow. Apparently no re-mapping of the EFI is needed with this slip on either. Test riding proved this to be true. Barely any noticeable "low end power loss". It's just a tad less "twitchy" under 2500rpm, which I like.

I took her out today and buzzed around for about 100 miles, broke in my tires a bit, froze my butt off on the highway and had a blast on the back roads. This is a whole new bike compared to the 2000 I had. First thing I notice is that the riding position seems "higher up" and it's much easier to toss the bike around. Secondly the Carbs/EFI change. MAN EFI makes the throttle response INSTANTANIOUS. I LOOOOVE the fuel injection!

Looks: I have grown to love the new tail of the R1. I was very dissapointed at first and thought nothing would beat the looks of the 2000-2001's but the new design actually looks nicer to me now... odd but true. I love the new instruments and the factory was nice enough to set the shift light right at redline for me!

The next few rides I will be feeling out the suspension, a bit and rolling up my 600 miles so I can give her an oil change.

Now.. WHAT THE F&$(^ IS UP WITH THE WEATHER?!?!?

Grrr

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jonathan
    2001 Ducati ST4
    2001 Aprilia Mille-R

I hear ya man!

I can't wait until I can get out and ride .. just having you talk about it ....

Nice John... good to have ya back on a R1

Hey did you see that cop RevHappy's Avatar

That sounds mean. I like it ever see the dual exhaust made by MIG its sweeeeet!

John your going to let me take that biatch out for a spin right? I haven't ridden one of the new R1's yet. I've been eyeing that new suzuki even though it looks like cyclops.

Chip,
    Yeah I've seen the dual mig, and devil actually makes a "shotgun" system too (2 over-under pipes). But I like the palin one I got. I didn't even go for the "high mount" midpipe.... I like the standard lowmount better.

As far as Suzuki... uhh I'm a Yamaha guy. I like their machines now, and always have. Even tho this R1 is a whole different bike than the 2000 I had, it still feels like a Yamaha. (Shit, even when I was broke-ass last year.. I went and got a '94 FZR600... Brand loyalty gone mad?? Maybe!

And of course you can take her for a whip dude. Any ride we're on, just ask to switch for a few miles!

-J

-Jonathan
    2001 Ducati ST4
    2001 Aprilia Mille-R

Hey did you see that cop RevHappy's Avatar

Chip?? No Doug you kack! I wrote that man that R1 has you stir crazy!

oops! thats what I get for using RDC to read forums from work! I think that chips name overlapped your post and didnt refresh... sorry DOUG, and yes you can ride it. First nice warm days out I'll be banging down your door for a secret road tour again!

-J

-Jonathan
    2001 Ducati ST4
    2001 Aprilia Mille-R

Uppercrust Euro Rider SilverSurfer's Avatar

I didnt' know you were riding again, Jon. Good for you!!

<table border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width=100%><tr><td background="http://www.nestreetriders.com/images/fill1.gif"><font color=white size=1 face="Trebuchet MS, Arial"><b>SEAN
    01 DAYTONA 955i | 00 DAYTONA 955i | 89 KATANA 600</b></font></td></tr></table>

gee I thought you were offering the new ride to me?