Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

RI permit clarification

RI permit clarification

I'm registered for the BRC at CCRI at the end of May (the wait is killing me!)

Could someone verify the permit situation in RI? Reading the law (http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statute.../31-10.1-2.HTM) it sounds like if I wanted to stay legal, I'd take the class, get the permit, don't ride for 30 days (since I have no friends who ride, and therefore wouldn't be under anyone's supervision), and then go to the DMV and get my license. Meaning, I won't be able to practice at all for the 30 days following the BRC without breaking the law by riding alone with just a permit.

Seems a bit silly to me...

Is this one of those things where everyone does it, and no one gets caught, or should I really wait out the 30 days?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Shoot I'll ride with you, I was in the same situation back in the days.

Last edited by ri-gixxer; 04-19-09 at 01:01 PM.

Re: RI permit clarification

Yeah it's an idiotic law for people trying to learn to ride. I think most people go out and ride anyways. If you mind your own business and obey the road rules you shouldnt get pulled over. Keep an eye out for rides on this site and go with them. If you want to go on a ride you could always post up here and see if anyone local is available to ride with you.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Don't ride like a shit head for the first 30 days after you get your permit and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Thanks for the info guys - obviously I plan to take it easy while learning, so I'm not too concerned. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the whole thing is sorta stupid.

It's not worth it riding within the 30 day period alone. Definitely find someone to go for a spin with, I always did. And don't go out at night.

I got a call from my friend one time after I started riding, her brother had just gotten his bike and permit and was pulled over. He needed someone on a bike to come to him and be able to ride back home with. Absolutely no reason that he was pulled over other than to be pulled over. The cop -will not let you leave- or ride home alone. You will have to tow your perfectly rideable bike home nevermind the better training through msf you've received than riders in most other states.

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

i can meet up if you're looking to ride around

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

It is odd..what is the other person gonna do if you lose it....i got my license in RI....If you have any riding experience dirtbike etc..you should be fine. If you can wait out the 30 days without riding go DMV get license and your good to go..it was easy for me to wait... i didnt have a bike

Unfortunately, I have a little Nighthawk 250 waiting in the garage

It seems to me like it'd be worth practicing while the BRC stuff is still fresh in my mind, and I agree - what is an experienced rider going to do if you go down, other than give you a hand up?

Thanks to those who offered to meet up - I'll message you after I get my permit.

yeah you understand it correctly. Take the class, then go get your permit for 30 days, then just go back to teh DMV and they will change it over to the license.

I got to ride a few times with friends who had a license...but other than that I waited. Its not worth it to risk not getting your license because you couldn't wait a month.

Quote Originally Posted by katana0215 View Post
    I got to ride a few times with friends who had a license...but other than that I waited. Its not worth it to risk not getting your license because you couldn't wait a month.
    Agreed.