Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Passing....A Gas

Passing....A Gas

I like to ride my motorcycle at a pace that amuses me. Unfortunately often I find other users of the highway operating with less rapidity. I have at times been accused of operating in an unsafe manner; I disagree.

I use the quick acceleration and small size to perform passing in places where lesser vehicles can not.

First: If approaching the rear of another vehicle and there is a clear view ahead I will roll by without feeling I must ride behind them for some polite period.

2nd. If I know the road; and it is unsafe here I may wait a short time till a safe area I know is comming. Otherwise pass as soon as possible. You may be stuck behind in 10 miles of great twisties.

3rd: Boyscout be prepared. When you see the last on comming car about to pass. Be back of the car to pass. Be in your power range by going to a lower gear. Take this posture at the end of a curve so if there is daylight you can spring

4th If there is a parade of 3 or more cars. Take them one at a time till you got them all. This is the only time the other cars will cheer you on in their frustration. Also once the cars understand what's up they will usually make room for your buddies.

5th If your by yourself pass with the least amount of noise and fuss to get the job done. If your in a group use maximum effort so to give those behind you the best opportunity to follow through.

6th Some good guys will make room, give them a great exaggerated wave with all fingers displayed. I give a cheery wave to everyone even if I thought they blocked me.

7th If someone speeds up to avoid you passing them; they are a nut burger give them a wide berth the MC loses every argument. Back off or go some other way.

8th Never outdrive your eyes. A superbike under max accelleration can pass a car doing 50 in as little as one telephone pole. SO a literbike need a clear view of 3 poles to move.

9th If the bad thing happens and you have misscalculated remember you are small. 2 cars and a bike will fit on almost every road. CUddle up a little closer to the one going your way. If your only by his rear bumper slow down anymore and your committed. Don't lock them up or dive for the bushes etc it will only make it worse.

Old bold pilot

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Passing....A Gas

and one day you'll find yourself part of a car door.

Have fun in jail.... we won't bail you out.

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

Littering and........

Passing....A Gas

I'm with Squid on this one - fuckheads who speed up when you try to pass deserve severe property damage and/or a savage beating.

Passing....A Gas

If you have to pass, do so on your back wheel.

Passing....A Gas

"My Grand Slam was supposed to come with sausage. "

Ace Frehley

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

How far is 3 telephone poles?

?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I Dance With Will

Passing....A Gas

Originally posted by ducatiboy
    If you have to pass, do so on your back wheel.

"fuckit!"

RSVMILLE661

Re: How far is 3 telephone poles?

Originally posted by RandyO
    ?
    I think they 120' apart therefore 360'.

People who ride like this are why I no longer ride on the street.

RSVMILLE661

Passing....A Gas

I am guilty of riding this way myself and after to many trips to the hospital to visit friends who "mis-calculated".

Crashing sucks.. Crashing from being irresponsible sucks worse.. For everyone.

RSVMILLE661

Passing....A Gas

In my opinion track days and racing are more responsible than desperate passes and erratic moves on the street.

I lead a group at a good pace through some twisties with the best of them but the harder we push on the street the more likely bad things will happen.

I dont want to sound like I am lecturing. I enjoy street riding too but unfortunately when I do ride on the street I can easily lose self control and the consequenses can be dire.

I Dance With Will

Passing....A Gas

Originally posted by RSVMILLE661

I enjoy street riding too but unfortunately when I do ride on the street I can easily lose self control and the consequenses can be dire.
    i hear this all the time. "i'd be dead if i had something like that". i never understood why.

"fuckit!"

Re: Re: How far is 3 telephone poles?

Originally posted by RSVMILLE661
    I think they 120' apart therefore 360'.

People who ride like this are why I no longer ride on the street.

that's the reason I asked the question, there is no set distance between utility poles, it depends on terrain, height and a bunch of other factors like how many houses there are . but I will tell you 120 feet is nowhere near close, ,on average, they are closer to 300 feet apart although,I have 4 utility poles along the 300 feet frontage of my property

does that sound like a good way to even think of judging distance

?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: How far is 3 telephone poles?

Originally posted by RandyO
    that's the reason I asked the question, there is no set distance between utility poles, it depends on terrain, height and a bunch of other factors like how many houses there are . but I will tell you 120 feet is nowhere near close, ,on average, they are closer to 300 feet apart although,I have 4 utility poles along the 300 feet frontage of my property

does that sound like a good way to even think of judging distance

?
    I saw your first post asking and I knew what you were setting up Randy.

Bras cause cancer.

Passing....A Gas

I suck at riding, and you will never see me on the track(untill I get the new yami power tourer/cruiser/beull eater) MT-01

Passing....A Gas

Hi, my name is Rich W. I ride like an ass, piss people off that ride with or around me, and i just don't get the hint that some people don't want me around them. I'm trying so hard to find new riding friends but i'm running out of forums to find them, as everyone seems to know my reputation. Please help me

signed "the grumpy old man"

Passing....A Gas

let the bastartization begin

Hey Mahk, did you see my post, I want a Yammie

Passing....A Gas

Well it's about fucken time you started to look at the good bikes

Yamaha

Passing....A Gas

too bad yammie aint releasin it here(fukkas), no only in europe(fukken snobs)..........

Passing....A Gas

We are a select group

Riding buddies are like marriage you really only need one good one;

Maybe a spare for alternate weekends.

ANYwho I ilke the "a*hole" I am and frankly look to recruit the A-hole team.

Most sport bikes I see ride alone maybe because they're more like me.

More riding less Biscotti

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Re: Passing....A Gas

Originally posted by richw
    I like to ride my motorcycle at a pace that amuses me. Unfortunately often I find other users of the highway operating with less rapidity. I have at times been accused of operating in an unsafe manner; I disagree.

I use the quick acceleration and small size to perform passing in places where lesser vehicles can not.

First: If approaching the rear of another vehicle and there is a clear view ahead I will roll by without feeling I must ride behind them for some polite period.

2nd. If I know the road; and it is unsafe here I may wait a short time till a safe area I know is comming. Otherwise pass as soon as possible. You may be stuck behind in 10 miles of great twisties.

3rd: Boyscout be prepared. When you see the last on comming car about to pass. Be back of the car to pass. Be in your power range by going to a lower gear. Take this posture at the end of a curve so if there is daylight you can spring

4th If there is a parade of 3 or more cars. Take them one at a time till you got them all. This is the only time the other cars will cheer you on in their frustration. Also once the cars understand what's up they will usually make room for your buddies.

5th If your by yourself pass with the least amount of noise and fuss to get the job done. If your in a group use maximum effort so to give those behind you the best opportunity to follow through.

6th Some good guys will make room, give them a great exaggerated wave with all fingers displayed. I give a cheery wave to everyone even if I thought they blocked me.

7th If someone speeds up to avoid you passing them; they are a nut burger give them a wide berth the MC loses every argument. Back off or go some other way.

8th Never outdrive your eyes. A superbike under max accelleration can pass a car doing 50 in as little as one telephone pole. SO a literbike need a clear view of 3 poles to move.

9th If the bad thing happens and you have misscalculated remember you are small. 2 cars and a bike will fit on almost every road. CUddle up a little closer to the one going your way. If your only by his rear bumper slow down anymore and your committed. Don't lock them up or dive for the bushes etc it will only make it worse.

Old bold pilot
    I disagree too. Everything looks good to me.

I'd ride with ya, although I've never had to do #9.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Passing....A Gas

Sounds like too much effort and thinking to me. Why not just ride down the middle with car on right travelling same flow, and car on left on coming. Should be enough room, just keep your elbows in...

Heck... Why not use the breakdown lane... As long as there are no on or off ramp traffic... you should be able to spend the whole ride in trips.