Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Riding in NYC, Some Thoughts...

Re: Riding in NYC, Some Thoughts...

Originally posted by Mystery Squid
    Basically, if you’re going to ride around NYC by yourself, be forewarned…. People drive way more messed up and the roads suck. Ride accordingly.
    I wouldn't say it's worse - it's just a different kind of messed up from Mass drivers

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Can't you find a connection closer to home?

Saturday, Given that I woke up at 1PM, then took a nap from 4-7pm (thus I’d be wired all through the night), I decided to take a spontaneous trip to see a couple of friends in NYC.
    -Suf Daddy

Suf Daddy.

Saturday, Given that I woke up at 1PM, then took a nap from 4-7pm (thus I’d be wired all through the night), I decided to take a spontaneous trip to see a couple of friends in NYC.

Anywho, I basically rode around Queens, and I counted at least 4 different situations where cars/SUV’s, just popped into my space. This in itself I can deal with, but the added dimension of crappy pavement makes the experience a little less than enjoyable. I think my bike isn’t really the “proper” bike for NYC. Maybe it could be, but I’d seriously have to soften the suspension. I think the perfect bike for NYC would be something amongst the lines of what Nikon has, the Kawi ZZR’s…

Basically, if you’re going to ride around NYC by yourself, be forewarned…. People drive way more messed up and the roads suck. Ride accordingly.

Welcome to the Jungle what did you expect from a city with 8+ millon people and not enough pavement to go around?
    Did ya have the pleasure of meeting one of those attentive cabbies
    You really have to be on the ball when in the city

Life is full of curves...just lean into them!!!

One client of mine, got a dual-sport to ride in NYC. It's small, can get around tight spots and go from sidewalk to road and back.

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

sometimes I think that burlington is crazy - i couldn't survive ridin in one of those cities... I'd get shot from smackin bitches

Bras cause cancer.

There is not much in Burlington ... only those crazy UVM kids.

They had a TV program on some of the custom cars in South Africe built for "tough" neighborhoods. My favorite are the ones with three shotgun barrels on each side that clear the area in case of "emergency." Also another one with a small flamethrower that turns a would be highjacker into a crispy-critter. I wish those things would be legal here in Mass. ; ) Sometimes, merging after the tolls on Mass pike is like begging for your life: people try to squeeze the shit out of you, no matter how much you beep. The only thing that work is a swift kick into the car with a boot.

Re: Re: Re: Riding in NYC, Some Thoughts...

Oh, I expected the vehicular mayhem, what I really didn't expect, is how my bike faired (under the current suspension configuration) on those mostly shitty roads...

You would think with 8 million tax payers that NYC would have decent roads.....but no..... they suck..... they are better fit for 4X4's, offroaders and TANKS!!!

Life is full of curves...just lean into them!!!

I wouldn't ride my bike in Manhattan, or any of the other boroughs for that matter unless I had to. Hell, I barely even like driving my car there. The roads are not great in terms of potholes, and people are constantly weaving in and out of lanes.

Now I'd definitely ride those roads in Northern NJ in the hills and upstate NY. That's where the real riding is.

Yup.