Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another crash

Another crash.....pic added

After heading back from NY (which sucked because of the rain........and a flat) a friend is heading down RT 4 in NH, leb, enfield canaan, not sure on the town. Anyhow he's rounding a left hand turn doing about 50, as he had the flat earlier and had it plugged so he wasn't hammering. An SUV coming at him making the right turn....the left front wheel comes off, he sees it and has absolutely no time to react. The wheel hits the bike head on, think he might have gone over the bars. He tumbled and slid out of the road. He thinks the bike might have flipped, but it stayed in the road after sliding a bit.

He came out of it pretty good, bruised elbow, banged up his wrist and hip. Nothing broken apparently. Gonna guess the bike is totaled. He didn't look at it after the crash.

Wear your gear kids...full gear. Wanna whine about the temp? stay home and turn the AC on.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Slyder; 07-24-08 at 11:48 AM.

Re: Another crash

talk about one in a million, glad to hear your buddies is okay but that whole scenario sucks.

No shit! WTF? Goes to show, anything can happen out there. Glad he is ok! Hate hearing about thei stuff.

If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

Talked to him yesterday, was wondering why my cell was ringing at 1:30am.

Shoulda told him to buy a power ball ticket yesterday when I talked to him

Thats about the same odds I guess. Not sure if the lug nuts worked lose or something in the hub / axle let go. If the lugs worked lose, the pinhead driving should have had some nasty feedback, like pull over now because something is terribly wrong....but who knows.

holy hell....just how bad does ones karma have to be for that to happen?

glad your buddy is ok, that is some scary shit.

-------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    As usual, your post displays a complete lacking in any fucking idea what you're talking about.

Hey, at least you're consistent.

wow, tire fell off the SUV and right at him? that is some crazy shit...

tire and wheel...off the front end. at first he thought it was a spare, or a tire from a trailer.

Wussy Ninjette Rider Thunderbisciut's Avatar

What the hell is it with everyone going down? Is it always like this?

Glad he's ok

...and the lesson there...? Holy chit....

Glad he's OK....glad he had the gear on...bike's replaceable....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

It is. Gear is too. Just talked to him a bit ago and he saw pics of the bike. I guess the forks are bent and twisted, right back to the engine, wheel is shot, the rear wheel is bent too I think. He said the rear sprocket is even bent, so it must have flipped up and landed on the rear wheel or something.

Definitely totaled.

He was on the phone with the insurance company and they'll cover his helmet but no other gear. What's up with that? The $1500 dollars of gear he was wearing just saved this insurance company 10's of thousands of dollars....

gotta love insurance companies....legally scamming people since day 1.

As for everyone going down...this was a freak accident. I mean really, what are the chances of this happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    He was on the phone with the insurance company and they'll cover his helmet but no other gear. What's up with that? The $1500 dollars of gear he was wearing just saved this insurance company 10's of thousands of dollars....

gotta love insurance companies....legally scamming people since day 1.

Wow man. No shit. That's insane - spot on about saving THEM 10's of thousands. He should get his insurance co involved to stick it up their ass...either that or a lawyer...but then there are fees.

WTF.

Duct tape is like "The Force". It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Wow man. No shit. That's insane - spot on about saving THEM 10's of thousands. He should get his insurance co involved to stick it up their ass...either that or a lawyer...but then there are fees.

WTF.
    I'm with telling them to suck it up and deal, assuming he's dealing with the other guy's insurance company. It doesn't matter what they want to cover; their policyholder is responsible for the personal injury and property damage he inflicted. That includes all of the gear that was damaged. If the insurance company still balks, get a lawyer involved; I would think he should be able to recover legal costs on top of damages.

Actually, he probably shouldnt be in any conversation with THEIR insurance company. My experience has always been to let my Insurance company deal with theirs. Tell your adjuster what you think is right and have him go get it...

State Farm has always been good about that! Again, I never engage in conversation withe the other guys Insurance! At the end of the day your Insurance company will be writting the check and they'll collect from the other...

...I think!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

at least the SUV driver couldn't take off on him without the wheel. sadly, that seems to be the common action taken by the other driver when they cause motorcycle accidents.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

going through your Ins to go after theirs and you run the risk of your rates going up...you are in fact making a claim. tell him to stand his ground to get what he wants. have him bring up that point about no skin gafts and road rash to pay for. tell him to get angry if he has to. and it never hurts to talk with a lawyer (free consult) and pick his brain and find out what he thinks about it.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Thanks for the tips and advice. He did call a lawyer today and talk to his assistant who told him on the phone there is negligence there. I mean, how does a wheel come off? Someone did something incorrectly.

As for the gear...I agree. It is personal property. It was his own insurance company that said only the helmet is covered. He is also not talking to the drivers company...he told his own company to go after theirs.

I guess it was some 20 year old driving and his mother was with him. Not that that means much, as I don't think the driver was doing anything wrong. Not sure on his speed, but he wasn't cocked, doing dounuts, driving eradically..etc.

The drivers company owes him a nice brand new gixxer 1000 and a full set of new gear, as well as medical bill coverage.

And if there's a lawsuit...well, sucks for them.
    To top it off though, this was in NH where insurance isn't mandatory. Not sure if the other guy had insurance.

Glad to hear he relatively okay.

To top it off though, this was in NH where insurance isn't mandatory. Not sure if the other guy had insurance.
    This is why I carry the highest uninsured motorist coverage I could get on my bike.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Wow...that's crazy. Riding the street...never know what's going to happen. Your friend got really lucky...

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Quote Originally Posted by wylee View Post
    Glad to hear he relatively okay.

This is why I carry the highest uninsured motorist coverage I could get on my bike.
    does that do anything for hit+runs?

- TJ

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    going through your Ins to go after theirs and you run the risk of your rates going up...you are in fact making a claim. tell him to stand his ground to get what he wants. have him bring up that point about no skin gafts and road rash to pay for. tell him to get angry if he has to. and it never hurts to talk with a lawyer (free consult) and pick his brain and find out what he thinks about it.

What is with this mentality?? Your rates can ONLY go up if you are found at fault in an accident. Just because you make a claim where a tire flew off someone elses car and hits your car doesnt make your rates go up no MATTER WHAT!!

NH, VT and MA are all AT FAULT states your insurance company will pay out your claim and go after the other fucker. If your insurance company pays out on gear go through them and leave it up to them to go after his insurance for those costs. This is ALWAYS the best way to go unless you dont carry collision which happened to me and I will NEVER do again.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

how does a wheel come off? Someone did something incorrectly.
    I had a wheel come off my car once. I had just replaces the hub assembly on my car the night before, it came with the wheel studs already in it. I was going down a hill with my boss in the passenger seat and he said "what's next? Is the wheel going to fall off?" because the car had been breaking down on me a lot. Just as he said that the front passenger side dropped to the ground and I saw my wheel flying towards a one story building. It went straight up the side of the building and came flying back when it hit the lip of the roof. If someone was in they way they probably would have been killed. All five of the studs sheared off with no warning. Found out later that the studs that were already in the part I bought had a smaller mounting point than the stock size and they were a lot softer than stock too. I forget the brand name but I bought it at Pep Boys.

Unofficial self proclaimed official NESR plumber.

"Ah shit son, datz be a Ducati!"-Random kid in Methuen.

Quote Originally Posted by BCT748 View Post
    I had a wheel come off my car once. I had just replaces the hub assembly on my car the night before, it came with the wheel studs already in it. I was going down a hill with my boss in the passenger seat and he said "what's next? Is the wheel going to fall off?" because the car had been breaking down on me a lot. Just as he said that the front passenger side dropped to the ground and I saw my wheel flying towards a one story building. It went straight up the side of the building and came flying back when it hit the lip of the roof. If someone was in they way they probably would have been killed. All five of the studs sheared off with no warning. Found out later that the studs that were already in the part I bought had a smaller mounting point than the stock size and they were a lot softer than stock too. I forget the brand name but I bought it at Pep Boys.
    What did your passenger say after the fact?

- TJ

wow... glad he's alright

Quote Originally Posted by Origin View Post
    What did your passenger say after the fact?
    He wasn't saying much of anything during or right after. It was kind of funny to see a guy that is 6'2" 250lbs have a death grip on the center console and door while screaming like a little girl. We were only going about 30mph and when we dropped we slowed down real quick. I did manage to get the car off to the side of the road before stopping without hitting anything or anybody. He did start joking about it later until I brought up how he screamed like a 12 year old girl, he shut up after that.

Unofficial self proclaimed official NESR plumber.

"Ah shit son, datz be a Ducati!"-Random kid in Methuen.

Quote Originally Posted by BCT748 View Post
    He wasn't saying much of anything during or right after. It was kind of funny to see a guy that is 6'2" 250lbs have a death grip on the center console and door while screaming like a little girl. We were only going about 30mph and when we dropped we slowed down real quick. I did manage to get the car off to the side of the road before stopping without hitting anything or anybody. He did start joking about it later until I brought up how he screamed like a 12 year old girl, he shut up after that.
    haha, at least it ended up a funny situation and not anything bad.

Cant imagine what I would do if i saw a friggin wheel come at me on my bike.

That could have turned out so bad, Glad he is ok.

- TJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast