Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Got to Ride the SV1K!

Got to Ride the SV1K!

Well,
    My brother finally gave in, and handed me the key. I was restricted to 5,500 rpms because of break-in, but who needs more than that?

My first thing to do was to see how well it responds to counter steering... I got it popping back and forth with a miniumum amount of input. I even checked it at 60 mph, and it was just as effortless.
    The bike just feels really light between the legs.

The gear box, for the most part, shifted smoothly, with a little reluctance to get into 6th on one occasion, but I figured that'll clear up once it's got some miles on it. (it only had 70 miles on it) The clutch engagement is predicable, and doesn't have a 2-stage feel, that of the TLR.

Next test was to see how well she pulled from 2,200 rpms in 6th gear to 5,000 rpms. With the the secondary throttle plates doing their job, the engine pulled smoothly from 32 mph, right up to 81 mph, without a hiccup. (this bike has some grunt!) Say goodbye to the 4,000 rpm stumbles.

Power delivery was smooth and transient, not like the "getting hit from behind with a Mack truck" type of response like My TLR, but I think because it pulls so smoothly, it's very deceiving. I could compare it, like the power delivery of the Hyabusa, SMOOTH!
    I kind of feels like it's got CV carbs under the airbox instead of fuel injection, it's that smooth....Not "On and Off", like the TLR...

The brakes still need to be bedded in, but because of that big V-Twin, you really don't need to climb all over the brakes to slow down.

The suspension, (after a couple of clicks of compression damping in the rear, and adding one turn on the spring preload in the front )
    allows a compliant but "stable" ride. I didn't really Hammer it into the corners, but diving into the entrance ramp to the highway was quick, and offered no surprises.

Seating arrangement is comfortable, with slight reach to the clip-ons...it's not a touring posture, but definately a sport one.

The exhaust offers a slight rumble to let everyone know it's a V-twin hung from the frame, but it would really sound sweet with a full Yosh system on it for sure.

All in all, I'm pretty impressed, good low end punch, smooth, no vibration which is typical for 90 degree V-Twins, and great handling.
    It's a SV650 with better handling, and more balls!
    Now we just have to wait till she's broken in, and really put the screws to it....I got a funny feeling, that this bike has got a lot of surprises in store for us down the road....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TLRMan; 05-05-07 at 11:15 PM.
    Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

looks nice even with a old fart on it

bet you din't have 2 hand out candy 2 get the girls on

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Got to Ride the SV1K!

I hope your trying to say the old fart dosn't detract from the nice looking bike

I have been taking short hops and haven’t been on it long enough to see how long it takes to get numb but.
    I would sum it up as well behaved with a dark side and shit loads of fun.
    Scott B

shit scott you know the bike looks sweet

Originally posted by SV1KScott
    I hope your trying to say the old fart dosn't detract from the nice looking bike

I have been taking short hops and haven’t been on it long enough to see how long it takes to get numb but.
    I would sum it up as well behaved with a dark side and shit loads of fun.
    Scott B
    even with that old squid on it
    see ya up the track

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Got to Ride the SV1K!

ok, ok, I'm an asshole, you hate me, blah blah blah, but I just can't keep this bottled up any longer: That bike is ugly as sin. UGLY UGLY UGLY!!!!!

I can't help it, I just can't stand those little faring chunks, the SV series looks SO good naked, but with those things on it it becomes straight fugly.

Sorry.

I'm glad it rides nice though and hey, who care's what I think anyway, my ride gets it fair share of sideways glances itself...

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Got to Ride the SV1K!

Thats why they make all kinds
    Hell when I'm sitting on it I don't see it anyway

Scott B.
    03 SV1000S