Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

School me: Triumph Tiger Explorer, and comp

Re: School me: Triumph Tiger Explorer, and comp

Explorer for sure. The Speed does have a Triumph gel seat which is very good. No comparison to the Explorer.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Damn...

For someone that just likes the seat height and riding ergos of these bikes, with no interest in going “off road”, is the multistrada THE choice??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Your park avenue leads to..

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Damn...

For someone that just likes the seat height and riding ergos of these bikes, with no interest in going “off road”, is the multistrada THE choice??
    I'd say the Multi or the S1000XR are definitely the most sport-bike-like if that's your thing... although I haven't ridden the Multistrada Enduro. When I bought my 2013 Explorer, I cross-shopped it against the Multi of the same year. I appreciated things like cruise control and shaft-drive over something more sporty. Just depends what you want out of a bike I suppose and what years you're considering.

FWIW, I don't like going off road with my Explorer, I bought it as a street bike that I could take on fireroads. With that said, the Explorer could easily fit into an intermediate group at a trackday. It is no slouch when you want to boogie.

I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better bike than the Multi 1200 S for what you’re looking for in that price range. If you go a bit older the 1100 or 1000 Multi’s are great too, and about 50 lbs lighter. Downside to the older ones is the aftermarket has far less support these days. They’re both great bikes.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Damn...

Check out a Tiger 1050 as well. I sold mine because the seat height was just too tall for my 30” inseam, but the engine and ergos were perfect. Try to find a 2010+. And if you can find one with upgraded suspension, that’s a winner.

Maybe take a look at the FJ-09 or Tracer 9/900? Seems to be what you're after, and should be much cheaper than any of the Euro offerings.

Or maybe the new V-Strom 1050XT? Or if you don't mind huge, boring and cheap, a Super Ten would fit the bill.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 06-10-21 at 07:13 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

I am somewhat surprised the Kawi Versys 1k doesn't get mentioned in this conversation. Although I agree it is entirely outclassed by the Multi & co. The Versys is notable as it offers an I4. (Although the BMW does too.) Several of my circle have been buying Ninja 1000's (which are crazy good value). Kawi has that 1000cc I4 figured out. I don't know the Versys 1k market, but I have to believe there is some value there as well.
    I want to demo a Versys 1k someday, even though there isn't really room in my garage for this sort of bike.

I test rode a Multi 1200 S a few years ago. It was stunning! Handling, brakes, fueling, motor, sounds.. all fantastic. Just an exceptional street bike.
    Points against are cost and I have seen some riders have pretty substantial problems with them, especially with electronics. Lots of stories of bikes leaving people stranded because of immobilizer problems. Lately I've heard this with a few BMWs as well.

I still have no love for the Super Tenere. Just a clunky, boring bike. I think I've demoed it twice now.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

One friend rides a 1200 Explorer, loves it, for long distance, trails, anywhere.

Naults in Windham NH has a 2012 Explorer 1200 FS @ $8K, 19K miles.

FYI

And don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I am somewhat surprised the Kawi Versys 1k doesn't get mentioned in this conversation. Although I agree it is entirely outclassed by the Multi & co. The Versys is notable as it offers an I4. (Although the BMW does too.) Several of my circle have been buying Ninja 1000's (which are crazy good value). Kawi has that 1000cc I4 figured out. I don't know the Versys 1k market, but I have to believe there is some value there as well.
    I want to demo a Versys 1k someday, even though there isn't really room in my garage for this sort of bike ...
    (Looking at CL while I rest my knee)

Versys 1000 -- on CL --

2015 in CT for $8000 (9K miles)
    2015 in NH for $8500 (2300 miles)
    2017 in MA for $9500 (4K miles)

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    (Looking at CL while I rest my knee)

Versys 1000 -- on CL --

2015 in CT for $8000 (9K miles)
    2015 in NH for $8500 (2300 miles)
    2017 in MA for $9500 (4K miles)
    I’m sure the Versys is a fun bike, but it doesn’t tempt me much. Z900rs cafe on the other hand.... but not the ergos I’m looking for

I’m sure the Versys is a fun bike, but it doesn’t tempt me much. Z900rs cafe on the other hand.... but not the ergos I’m looking for
    I had a 2014 Ninja 1000 (aka N1K) for three years, fantastic motor, but every year the ergos got worse for me. So I could see the Versys 1000 as a tourer, would have been better for me than the N1K. And low mileage used Versys at $8K~$9.5K ...

Last edited by whynot; 06-12-21 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better bike than the Multi 1200 S for what you’re looking for in that price range. If you go a bit older the 1100 or 1000 Multi’s are great too, and about 50 lbs lighter. Downside to the older ones is the aftermarket has far less support these days. They’re both great bikes.
    If you go older the Tiger 1050 ABS is a ridiculous bargain because Triumph never brought the new model to the U.S..

Apparently Triumph figured the market for 1200cc 600+ lb shaft drive adventurey bikes wasn’t saturated enough. The “Tiger Sport” is still sold in Europe.

Have you looked at Yamaha Super Tenere? The reviews rag on it, but you ride the bike and not the reviews. In 2019 I rented a Super Tenere for a road trip. After putting a little over 3000 miles on it, it really grew on me. Initially it seems kind of tall and may be feels a little top heavy. I was thinking to myself "I gotta watch it, make sure I don't tip this thing". I was wrong, the bike is actually very controllable once you get used to it. The upright seating position is my personal favorite, as I grew up riding standards/UJMs. Neither cruiser nor sportbike riding position works for my back any more.

If you are going to be riding mostly on pavement, with occasional gravel and dirt roads, Super Tenere is the bike to get. It is a better touring bike than most bikes in the "Adventure" category, in my opinion. And you are not going to be doing any gnarly dirt rides on a 1200cc 600lbs bike anyway, unless you are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen View Post
    . And you are not going to be doing any gnarly dirt rides on a 1200cc 600lbs bike anyway, unless you are crazy.
    Or really, really good.

I've seen guys blast big bikes up trails I was struggling with on a WR250.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Or really, really good.

I've seen guys blast big bikes up trails I was struggling with on a WR250.
    Even standard bikes on street tires are a lot more capable off road than people think. I once rode a KZ1000P up a trail in Alameda County Sheriff's department training facility. It was a steep trail with loose ground and a rut from water running down the hill smack in the middle of it. There were a half a dozen guys that did it, not just me and I am not a good off-road rider.

While these things can be done in a pinch, they are not a good idea. "Good riders use superior judgment to avoid situations that require superior skill".

Lifer

Doing dumb things on big bikes?!

I would love to do that training.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Doing dumb things on big bikes?!

I would love to do that training.
    Alameda used to do a revised version of their classes for civilians. For example, in the civilian class they removed the part where they teach you how to fire a handgun from a moving motorcycle. The classes were a lot of fun nevertheless. It also gave civilian riders a healthy dose of respect for motormen. I think it was a very positive experience for all parties involved. I don't know if they do the same on the East coast.

There's some good police bike training footage in this bad movie from 1953, "Code Two" --

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045636...m_flmg_act_241

... but back to big ADV bikes, what about Guzzi?

For example, a good used Stelvio from AJ for under $5K
    https://ajcycle.com/gallery/1/220/s/...i-2009-STELVIO

... or there are still some leftover 2020 V85TT Adventures around, usually at $11,500 OTD
    Lots of praise and love for the V85TT, there's an extensive thread on ADV Riser f'rinstace ...

For example, a good used Stelvio from AJ for under $5K
    https://ajcycle.com/gallery/1/220/s/...i-2009-STELVIO

... or there are still some leftover 2020 V85TT Adventures around, usually at $11,500 OTD
    Lots of praise and love for the V85TT, there's an extensive thread on ADV Riser f'rinstace ...
    Guzzi has all the disadvantages of a BMW without any of its advantages.

If you are looking at 800-ish CC Adventure bike look at Triumph. I never rode it, but heard a lot of good things about it. The 800-900cc Triumph adventure bike is supposedly the gold standard by which the rest of that category is measured.

Guzzi has all the disadvantages of a BMW without any of its advantages.
    Hey! Them's fightin' words.

If you are looking at 800-ish CC Adventure bike look at Triumph. I never rode it, but heard a lot of good things about it. The 800-900cc Triumph adventure bike is supposedly the gold standard by which the rest of that category is measured.
    "I never rode it" -- there you have it.

"Supposedly" -- operative term.

Hey! Them's fightin' words.

"I never rode it" -- there you have it.

"Supposedly" -- operative term.
    When I owned Italian bikes from early 2000s I wrenched on them more than I rode them. The Guzzi was advertised as "Italian BMW", but after riding it I discovered that the only similarity to BMW was the high cost of maintenance. BMW GS was a much better machine in every respect with similar maintenance costs. In fact, BMW is a better machine than Super Tenere too, but it costs a lot more to buy and maintain. If money is no object, BMW is the bike to get of all of them.

I never rode the Tiger 800 for a length of time, like I did the Super Tenere. I don't count two hours on a friends' bike as "I rode it". If you want my opinion based on two hours of riding, the Triumph 800 was one of the nicest bikes in that category. Everyone I know that owns the 800-900cc Triumph adventure bike can't stop telling me how awesome their bike is, and I can see why.

Lifer

When I owned Italian bikes from early 2000s I wrenched on them more than I rode them. The Guzzi was advertised as "Italian BMW", but after riding it I discovered that the only similarity to BMW was the high cost of maintenance. BMW GS was a much better machine in every respect with similar maintenance costs. In fact, BMW is a better machine than Super Tenere too, but it costs a lot more to buy and maintain. If money is no object, BMW is the bike to get of all of them.

I never rode the Tiger 800 for a length of time, like I did the Super Tenere. I don't count two hours on a friends' bike as "I rode it". If you want my opinion based on two hours of riding, the Triumph 800 was one of the nicest bikes in that category. Everyone I know that owns the 800-900cc Triumph adventure bike can't stop telling me how awesome their bike is, and I can see why.
    I agree. I did ride a rental Triumph Tiger 800 twice, once for a long weekend and once for 1800 mile trip. It is a fine machine, but honestly kind of boring. The newer ones are better. It is not that much lighter in feel compared to an R1200GS - I haven't ridden a 1250GS to compare. I also have considered a VFR1200X, though they did not sell well here. It is more a road biased adventure bike.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

Another stuuuupid question from NESRs jester.

Are engine and handlebar vibes easily associated with engine configuration?

Or is it tougher than that, and more by the overall build of the bike?

Like, is an inline four Africa Twin inline four OBVIOUSLY going to be smoother with less vibes than say a Suzuki vstrom 1050xt v twin?

Or is it more like the overall build quality?

Like a Ducati multistrada with a V twin (I think? I know the new ones have the v4, but I’m not looking at those) will be smoother than an Africa twin which “feels cheap” comparatively to the Ducati? (Per a shootout I read)

Also, I know nothing of parallel twins. That’s the lay out in the earlier Tiger 800s right? Rough and archaic? Or....??

Happy Friday!!!! Cheers

Modern Tigers are triples and smooth.

Stop reading and go ride a few bikes....

Last edited by e30addict; 06-18-21 at 05:50 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Modern Tigers are triples and smooth.

Stop reading and go ride a few bikes....
    Who does test rides anymore?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast