Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

which helmet is better?

which helmet is better?

I like the fit of both, but I can get the shoei for like 325, and the arai for like $500. So Shoei XP-s 2 or arai signet GT?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

which helmet is better?

Both Shoei and Arai are great helmets. Which ever one fits you better is the best one. Remember it should be snug at first because it will break in.

When Arai dumped their mailorder dealers the price went through the roof. The Shoei is probably the better value now. Arai gave away a ton of market share with that move.

02 Aprilia Mille
    99 ZX6R (track bitch)
    99 Aprilia RS250 (registered)

which helmet is better?

yeah, it's HUGE pain in the ass to get an arai for a reasonable price... I think I might just get the shoei and be done with it. At that price it's the best deal I can find, by a pretty wide margin.

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Lifer

which helmet is better?

There are some things about the Arais that just make me so unwilling to pay the huge price increase over Shoei.

The only thing I see on Arais that are better is some of the custom fitting options like the different width cheek pads.

The shoeis have a much, much better visor design IMO, and the visors cost 1/2 what the Arai visors cost.

Fit and finish seem to be about the same. I've been trying on both Arais and Shoeis a bunch this spring. Pretty sure I'm going to stick with Shoei, just cause $200 will buy a lot of other stuff.

Ben

I Dance With Will

which helmet is better?

damn.. i thought the expensive ones protect your head better than others. they're all DOT3 certify correct? so they all have the same protection right? i could have saved myself a lot of money.

"fuckit!"

which helmet is better?

yeah, you could have, but you wouldn't want to. Especially on a sportbike. On a cruiser type bike, the weight of the helmet is no big deal, since it's sitting on top of your more-or-less vertical spine. On a sportbike, leaned way forward, your neck muscles have to hold your head (and the helmet) up all the time, so cheaper (like my current HJC) helmets make your neck wicked tired and sore. Expensive helmets (like the ones I listed) are much lighter (not to mention all the other little improvements like cooling, comfort, visor design, etc.)

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Lifer

which helmet is better?

Originally posted by Matt K
    yeah, you could have, but you wouldn't want to. Especially on a sportbike. On a cruiser type bike, the weight of the helmet is no big deal, since it's sitting on top of your more-or-less vertical spine. On a sportbike, leaned way forward, your neck muscles have to hold your head (and the helmet) up all the time, so cheaper (like my current HJC) helmets make your neck wicked tired and sore. Expensive helmets (like the ones I listed) are much lighter (not to mention all the other little improvements like cooling, comfort, visor design, etc.)
    A few trips to the gym once in a while should easily negate that...

Ben

which helmet is better?

as well as the gym... go really fast so the wind holds your head up!

which helmet is better?

I just picked up a KBC VR-1. I was actually looking at Shoei and Arai, but apparently I have an odd shaped head. Neither had a helmet that would fit properly. The KBC was the only one that didn't either give me a migraine or fit loosely. So far I have been happy with the KBC even though I think it is slightly too big. Any smaller was way too small though. Ity fits perfectly when I wear my Balaclava but that is going to get hot in the summer.

which helmet is better?

as far as the gym thing, I really don't think that'd help, I mean, regardles of how strong my neck muscles are, they're gonna get tired after holding the helmet up for a couple hours. It's not like my neck it too weak to hold it up, it jsut gets sore. Besides, I like toys and gadgets and stuff, and good helmets qualify as both. plus they get bonus points for keeping my brain inside my head. Why improve yourself when you can lean on the crutch of technology anyway?

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

get the one that

fits the best

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

which helmet is better?

This season I bought a Icon Alliance. I really like it. For a sub $200 helmet it has a lot of features and is quiter and lighter than my previous lids (including Shoei RF-800). I cannot compare against a $400 or $500 Shoei or Arai, but for the catagory that its in I think it is a great deal. Snell 2000 & DOT approved.

Last year I bought an el cheapo $70 Bieffe B12 - don't ever buy one of these - they suck! I was in super-fruggal mode at the time and was never impressed with it in any way. Had it fall off the VFR one time, one of the side plates went flinging off to who knows where (it was dark out). I had to ride home with the visor only secured one side! It was funny because it actually worked OK until I got off the interstate in Manchester and had to turn my head to look for merging traffic. The wind caught the visor and tore it off like a bannana peal! My eyes were watering big-time that last mile and a half to my house.

Tim B.
    Manchester, NH
    2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
    CSBA #256
    www.christiansportbike.com
    Jesus Rocks!