Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To sell or not to sell...RC390

To sell or not to sell...RC390

My RC390 has been sitting in storage since last June, and it is not cheap to store. I'm about to head back to New England for the summer.

I originally bought it to commute to work on and occasionally bring to the track. Proof is in the pudding and I have yet to bring it to a track day out here (and probably won't). I also don't know if I'll really ever be going back into the office.
    My friend was moving out of Boston and after a few beers I purchased his Vespa (considering 3 of my friends crashed it while I borrowed it - 2 at Loudon - I was pretty entitled to purchase it). He got it for free, I paid practically nothing, and it is an LX150 and pretty dang sweet. I plan to bring that out here to SF commute. Its currently sitting in Danvers at my dads.

Now I'm left with a decision to make. Do I lug or ship my RC390 across the country back to New England, where it can stay. Or do I just sell it. Its more or less stock. It has the KTM approved Akra exhaust. A trick KTM front wheel lock. Little things like mirror deletes (for lane splitting), tidy tail, and maybe some other small stuff. I also have a power commander, pre-programed wideband sensor, and a race air filter brand new which I never installed.

I imagine in COVID world, I can attract top dollar. It is pretty mint.
    That said, it is pretty dang mint and would make a fun little track bike back east. A place I'll likely be during the summer and back and forth to quite a bit indefinitely.
    But, my heart will always be with 600s and if I truly made a return to track days it would be on an R6. But I own this thing, it was cheap, why not have a rain/second bike? Is the RC390 at risk of being massively outdated/replaced? It could also be a fun little "occasional race program." I'd love to do it out here at all these cool tracks, but I just don't have the infrastructure to store/maintain at that level.

What would you do?

My real concern is the hassle of getting it back east. I really don't want to pull a trailer the entire way. If I put on a hitch rack, I won't be able to open the rear doors of the van without taking the motorcycle off. That is a major problem.

I tried to entice my brother to drive our golf wagon back, but he wasn't interested and I don't trust him to tow a trailer or handle a potential mishap. Anyone interested driving our golf wagon and towing a Uhaul trailer with the moto back to New England for a reasonable fee? Not willing to go the craigslist route.

Motorcycle shipping just seems to expensive to be worth it. Also...I really don't want the headache of non-stop phone calls and emails that comes along with any sort of bidding ship site.

Selling it and buying another one back east seems like a reasonable way to to do it. I just have a feeling if I sell this one, I will not buy another. Maybe that is just the right move at this point.

Posting here for some accountability, so I actually do something instead of just paying to store it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-20-21 at 11:14 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: To sell or not to sell...RC390

I'd grab a single rail trailer and pull it back her, then come out to some TTDs. But I'm biased! Seriously, a bird in hand... If I owned it, I'd keep it.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I'd grab a single rail trailer and pull it back her, then come out to some TTDs. But I'm biased! Seriously, a bird in hand... If I owned it, I'd keep it.
    Uhaul wants ~$1,000 for a rental trailer at the cheapest.
    Buying and selling a single rail trailer, and the work that goes around getting a plate for it, means it is not a viable option. May as well sell/buy the motorcycle. Realistically, that means towing it home with the golf is not an option either.
    A hitch rack is the only workable option, I think. Use it to get this moto home and the vespa back out. I just don't have a work around to get into the rear doors with one without take the moto off/on.

*sigh

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-20-21 at 11:37 AM.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mpo...322058534.html
    Think this can hold a street bike?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ptd...317274281.html
    This one is in my damn neighborhood.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-20-21 at 11:30 AM.

Sounds like you do want to keep the bike, so work that angle.

I’m with Paul, except get a 2 (or 3) rail trailer for future utility. Why sell it when you get back? Know anyone who has a utility trailer you could borrow the tag for your trip? If not, the RMV’s reg process is pretty streamlined online...everything should get mailed out and there ya go.

Keep the bike, you like it.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mpo...322058534.html
    Think this can hold a street bike?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ptd...317274281.html
    This one is in my damn neighborhood.
    It gets to be less of "can the carrier hold the bike" and more of "is my rear suspension burly enough to ensure a safe drive with it on the back"

I've used these a bunch, and with suspension that can tolerate that much tongue weight you'll be good. However, I've used them on vehicles with tired rear suspension or suspension that was not up to the task and it made for a terrifying drive feeling like the front wheels were floating on the pavement.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post

I’m with Paul, except get a 2 (or 3) rail trailer for future utility. Why sell it when you get back? Know anyone who has a utility trailer you could borrow the tag for your trip? If not, the RMV’s reg process is pretty streamlined online...everything should get mailed out and there ya go.

If I still had a kendon, I'd let you borrow it. I do have a hauler you can borrow, but it doesn't solve your rear door prob.

Paul_E_D

it doesn't solve your rear door prob.

I already have both a 2 bike trailer and a very, very good hitch rack in New England. No need for more.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    It gets to be less of "can the carrier hold the bike" and more of "is my rear suspension burly enough to ensure a safe drive with it on the back"

I've used these a bunch, and with suspension that can tolerate that much tongue weight you'll be good. However, I've used them on vehicles with tired rear suspension or suspension that was not up to the task and it made for a terrifying drive feeling like the front wheels were floating on the pavement.
    I had towed with a hitch rack on my old van a lot. It did have a shorter wheelbase, which would help, but I think my rig has the capability to handle it just fine. It's a 144 Sprinter.

If I still had a kendon, I'd let you borrow it. I do have a hauler you can borrow, but it doesn't solve your rear door prob.
    Its also on the wrong coast!

It isn't worth the headache for me to register a trailer in CA. So its either rent a trailer, or purchase a new hauler just for this task.

I think what it comes down to is that I'm looking for path of least resistance:
    Leaving it in current storage is the easiest, but also dumb.
    Buying/selling/rmv work is all a huge pain in the ass and partially out of my control. Whether that is for a trailer or a motorcycle.
    Towing across the country is all within my control, but just has some nuances to it.

I am a little emotionally attached to it for no reason. But I just did a search and there is one for sale for $3,500 in Woburn. Almost identical to mine.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...e-096d055d58a6

I weigh that against the screaming deal I got for this one ($5,300 OTD, taxes, registration, everything, brand new).

I think what I'm up against is either:
    a) sell it and maybe, just maybe, I'll buy a new one on the east coast. It probably turns into a track ready middleweight real fast.
    b) get a hitch rack and tow it

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-20-21 at 12:45 PM.

Logically, I would think selling the bike here in CA would net you more money (especially in the current market) and might just be the easiest thing to do. When you get back east, you can always find another bike you may be more passionate about.

With that said, I've lugged my bikes all across the country. It can be a PITA and sometimes they sit for extended periods and I have to do some work to get them ready again but because I have them, they always get ridden again. BUT I do have an emotional attachment to 2 of them in particular (the pair my dad I bought together).

So I guess my advice is...follow your heart.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Sell it, buy something else on this coast.
    Or pull a card from my deck; buy something on this coast AND THEN sell the RC. Doesn't save any stress or heartache, but it does force the issue!

Sell mine, buy this one and tow it back

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy...319575295.html

Shot him a note to see if he wants to trade. This escalated quickly.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-20-21 at 01:03 PM.

dunno what norcal market is like but sell it local...I sold a ninja 500 here in around a day...seems to be the sheer number of buyers and the utter busted up salvage junk without a title that's $2,500 and under on facebook/offer up

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Sell mine, buy this one and tow it back

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy...319575295.html

Shot him a note to see if he wants to trade. This escalated quickly.
    LMOA Now we're talking!

Paul_E_D

I’m glad we’re all still in a place where we need little to no encouragement to escalate the motorcycle situation

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I’m glad we’re all still in a place where we need little to no encouragement to escalate the motorcycle situation
    You're talking to a guy who just put Ohlins on a mountain bike.

Marco saw this thread and texted me the idea of a front hitch. Rated for 525lbs. My concern would be its impact on headlights. Does solve the problem of the rear doors.

https://torkliftcentral.com/mercedes...front-ecohitch

You're talking to a guy who just put Ohlins on a mountain bike.

Marco saw this thread and texted me the idea of a front hitch. Rated for 525lbs. My concern would be its impact on headlights. Does solve the problem of the rear doors.

https://torkliftcentral.com/mercedes...front-ecohitch
    Without a doubt your best option. Done.

Buying and selling a single rail trailer, and the work that goes around getting a plate for it, means it is not a viable option. May as well sell/buy the motorcycle.
    If you buy a used trailer here in CA, it should come with permanent plates that are $10 to keep current every 5 years. You should have no problems transporting it back east. Don't sign the title and simply resell it when you get back east.

I had a front hitch on my van. It was sweet, but it partially blocked the headlights and anything I put up front got covered in bugs.

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 05-21-21 at 01:04 PM.

Cool timing with the thread. Likely the cheapest thing to do is keep it and figure out hauling.

We came out to Santa Barbara with a pickup truck bed already filled and a hitch hauler with my supermoto on it. I accidentally bought two more motos while here (a Norton and a Triumph Trident in minty CA condition) and the GMC RV as posted on the sprinter thread so now I need to figure out how I get it all back, otherwise one bike might have to go and the not-so-easily-replaceable vintage bikes are likely to stay. But I don't want to sell it unless necessary.

Shipping is not very ideal if you're already making the trip. You can buy used and sell used carrying equipment with small losses. Considering another hitch hauler, which will carry two on the way back east. Now need a way to mount the third between a silverado 1500 and the old GMC.

Where there's a will & some cash, there's a way is my thought. A front mounted hitch is an idea. No part of me wants to tow on either vehicle that long of a distance.

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

Are you driving the GMC Back? Lets just throw all the motos in it?

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    If you buy a used trailer here in CA, it should come with permanent plates that are $10 to keep current every 5 years. You should have no problems transporting it back east. Don't sign the title and simply resell it when you get back east.

I had a front hitch on my van. It was sweet, but it partially blocked the headlights and anything I put up front got covered in bugs.
    Who gives me the plate? I take it that only works if buying from the dealer?
    I'm less concerned about bugs, more concerned about light. Will likely be doing a lot of driving at night in areas with animals. I don't have any aux lights, and really don't want to add them.

Who gives me the plate? I take it that only works if buying from the dealer?
    I'm less concerned about bugs, more concerned about light. Will likely be doing a lot of driving at night in areas with animals. I don't have any aux lights, and really don't want to add them.
    In CA the plate travels with the vehicle, unless it is a specialty plate. It does not matter if it is private sale or a dealer. So if you bought a used trailer with permanent plates, you could legally operate it on the road assuming the $10 filing fee was paid every 5 years (the registration date is printed on the title). I just paid my first 5 year fee on my trailer (has it really been that long?!).

Same thing if you bought a car or motorcycle... assuming the registration is current, you can operate it without officially transferring title. The seller releases liability by mail or online to protect themselves.

Are you driving the GMC Back? Lets just throw all the motos in it?
    We're driving both back, likely slowly over the course of 6 weeks and using the GMC as basecamp & lodging this fall. I think bikes like the Triumph would be impossible to get through the single entry way and it would impede living quarters, but I like your style.

Didn't know that about trailers with CA plates, but there is a 10 day grace period on driving vehicles purchased through private sale as long as you bought insurance, as I understand it. YMMV if pulled over in another state though?

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

If you don't date the title, you can have an indefinite grace period...

But in all seriousness, I've never had this issue. There can be title-transfer fines imposed at time of registration if the date is clearly printed/documented but if the vehicle is legally registered, that is the main focus from LEO's. Sure, an LEO could theoretically find an issue if they wanted but if you're holding onto a vehicle's title and it is registered, I'd be hard pressed they would have any issue, especially if you explain that you bought a trailer/vehicle specifically to move states.

So I think I'm going to order the front hitch, get the bike out of storage, list it for sale for $5k, and if I sell it I sell it, if I don't I take it home with me.
    Guy never responded about trading for the Cup version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast