Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

Re: Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike

I didn't have a Multi nor would I get one. Too big and too bias for the street. Also not my cup of tea in the looks department. I've soured over the years on Ducati. The ol 996S was fun. The newer Duc's I've had, Scrambler FT, Hyper939S and 959 Pani Corse all had fueling issues with terrible stock fueling. Now Aprilia... Perfection!

One other bike I did have was a 2012 Triumph 800XC with the 21 inch front. A fun street bike with great handling and fueling. Top heavy as @#% in the woods. But that inline 3 sounded like a rally car coming out of turns. Fun!!! But stick to old abandoned roads and off the steeper trails.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Here’s why proper travel length and springs are important.
    In addition to technique, of course.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI8VTLBH...=1rbjnjncdfxtw

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post

Ouch!

I can’t stop watching! Totally going to be me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I've never done anything like that. Never.

Lifer

The sound and result look a lot like it bottomed hard, but I can't see it. Is it the opposite? Way too stiff? It almost looks like the fork could be hydrolocking, but that's probably some missing frames from the video compression.

"Time to rastle up some rebound settings" uh.... wut. Am I crazy, or do they have that all wrong? Rebound would be my last item on the list for that.

nedirtriders.com

That's the whole reason I got the WR. When you throw it away in the woods you can replace shit for $30.

A dropped Tiger = cursing, tears and a paycheck.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

That was more of a set of unrealistic expectations. Rider did not have nearly enough skill.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    The sound and result look a lot like it bottomed hard, but I can't see it. Is it the opposite? Way too stiff? It almost looks like the fork could be hydrolocking, but that's probably some missing frames from the video compression.

"Time to rastle up some rebound settings" uh.... wut. Am I crazy, or do they have that all wrong? Rebound would be my last item on the list for that.
    It definitely bottomed right quick. I think the result is a combo of not enough rebound and the instant unweighting of the front end because of both the step up the wheel actually started to clear and the operator being flung back fro getting punched in the face by his windshield.

That said, the 790 with at the very least a set of bark busters to protect the levers and some foldable mirrors, would withstand a drop like this with little/no fanfare.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

It definitely bottomed right quick. I think the result is a combo of not enough rebound and the instant unweighting of the front end because of both the step up the wheel actually started to clear and the operator being flung back fro getting punched in the face by his windshield.
    Ah I didn't even notice that he takes the windshield to the face. That could explain why they're thinking rebound. I re-played it a couple times and pretty sure I'm seeing the bottom now. They won't be the first undersprung rider to get bucked and think that must be a rebound problem. I guess I would have expected a little more hands-on experience with suspension given the source though.

nedirtriders.com

That said, the 790 with at the very least a set of bark busters to protect the levers and some foldable mirrors, would withstand a drop like this with little/no fanfare.
    Chip, so based on This it sounds like you are saying the 790 only needs a skid plate and some good hand guards for protection? Just trying to figure out if any crash bars would be needed? I thought the shape of the tank may prevent that need.

In my experience crash bars bend and sometime take mounting points with them. I’ve tossed it on the ground a few times and only cracked the stock plastic handguards (which are single use IMO, so they did their job). It needs other things, but crash bars isn’t one of them, I don’t think

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

In my experience crash bars bend and sometime take mounting points with them. I’ve tossed it on the ground a few times and only cracked the stock plastic handguards (which are single use IMO, so they did their job). It needs other things, but crash bars isn’t one of them, I don’t think
    Good to know. Yeah I would probably replace the hand guards straight away.

Lifer

Guards depends on the bike. I had bars (SW Motech I believe) on my DL650. I am convinced those bars saved that bike from being a write off on at least 2 occasions. In one case I was 600 miles from home on day 2 of a 10 day trip. I lost the front in some gravel on a corner just putting along on a paved road. Walked away with some scrapes, a sheared off foot peg and a bruised ego. We repaired that the next day with some crap from a home-center and carried on. Didn't even scratch the plastics. Without the guards I'd have destroyed the entire front fairing and maybe taken out the headlight. The 790 is built differently and seems to negate the needs for guards. Not so sure about the Tenere 700.

Most ADV bikes have street bike plastics that shatter if you look at them cross eyed and are expensive to replace. I think the 790 has more dirt-like plastics that aren't like this.

Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-img_0674-jpeg

The gas tanks are the protection. I've stepped off my 790 on trails a few times when my skill or typically when my foot finally touches the ground and the contact patch of the tire is much higher than where my foot finally finds terra firma. The bike is going over and there is little left to do than control its decent as best as possible as I step off. The plastic tanks can take being deformed by impacts. The bottom of the tank skid pads take a hit and are replaced if cracked. Also a larger skid plates like the AXP cover that spot.

Also stock hand guards aren't terrible. I've yet to break my levers. They do give and move around so they don't break but they aren't bulletproof like a good set of bark busters.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-img_0674-jpeg

The gas tanks are the protection. I've stepped off my 790 on trails a few times when my skill or typically when my foot finally touches the ground and the contact patch of the tire is much higher than where my foot finally finds terra firma. The bike is going over and there is little left to do than control its decent as best as possible as I step off. The plastic tanks can take being deformed by impacts. The bottom of the tank skid pads take a hit and are replaced if cracked. Also a larger skid plates like the AXP cover that spot.

Also stock hand guards aren't terrible. I've yet to break my levers. They do give and move around so they don't break but they aren't bulletproof like a good set of bark busters.
    Yeah, after some research looks like the axp is the one. Have it for my dirt bike, works well

Honestly the only thing at this point that is preventing me from pulling the trigger is the lack of knowledge on how to find these dirt roads.

I guess like anything maybe jump on a few rides with people and begin to learn. I just struggle knowing where legal dual sport riding exists. I don’t want to take a big bike to HVD or wrentham, would rather take the appropriate tool for the job there.

Which gps would be good for finding and mapping routes? How do you identify dirt roads?

One place https://advrider.com/f/forums/gps-tr...st-florida.38/

I just use the app on my iPhone. Overlays whatever gpx files you load onto a downloaded map, so you can navigate without service. Like below are a bunch of dirt roads in nw ct. Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-5f35a80d-0b5e-47d2-87ff-53fdf958a7bc

Last edited by jimmycapp; 12-19-20 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Honestly the only thing at this point that is preventing me from pulling the trigger is the lack of knowledge on how to find these dirt roads.
    Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    There's plenty out where I am

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I have a lot of trails around me that I take my Jeep on. Are the legal...? Probably not but they are wide open access. I live in Sutton and have spots in Sutton and Grafton that are super close and a great spot to spend an hour. Reach out to me if you are interested in a bit of challenge hitting abandoned roads or Jeep trails.

A great day trip is the October Mountain area is a great option. https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/.../ride_3c18.htm You can ride the Jeep trails solo without any drama but the ATV trails which many are doable on a larger DS require a buddy to keep an eye on you.

This is a couple miles from my house
    Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-img_1436-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    I have a lot of trails around me that I take my Jeep on. Are the legal...? Probably not but they are wide open access. I live in Sutton and have spots in Sutton and Grafton that are super close and a great spot to spend an hour. Reach out to me if you are interested in a bit of challenge hitting abandoned roads or Jeep trails.

A great day trip is the October Mountain area is a great option. https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/.../ride_3c18.htm You can ride the Jeep trails solo without any drama but the ATV trails which many are doable on a larger DS require a buddy to keep an eye on you.

This is a couple miles from my house
    Thinking about dual sport/ ADV bike-img_1436-jpg
    Yeah Sutton area is close to me. I would totally be down for that. So plated bikes are allowed on the atv trails?

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Yeah, the prospect of searching just seems overwhelming, I don’t want to spend more time looking for stuff than actually riding.

Lifer

I think you should pull this particular trigger. The problem of finding spots to ride will solve itself. And if it doesn't the 790/890 is still reportedly a fantastic street bike. Do it while the offer stands.

Honestly randomly wandering back roads is half the fun. Maybe I'm weird.

I think the only downside to the KTM is Husky's soon to release 901. I'm not a fan of the ORANGE!!!!!!! Give me Husky white/blue and a bit of yellow and I get wood. LOL

Also the lack of praying Mantis face on the 901 works for me as well.