Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

help... VFR700 questions

help... VFR700 questions

my 25 year old son wants to buy a bike, he is looking at an 86 VFR700 34k miles $1500 from someone he works with who will take payments. I have not seen it yet, I have some concerns, the bike has set at least one season , it was winterized with stabil, but he said the carbs are gummed up. I am leary

what kind of things should he look at with this bike

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

help... VFR700 questions

Hey Randy
    really the bike has sat for more then 1 year....more like multiple years..
    Im sure that there will be a few problem from sitting so long but, its in pretty good shape and also has a 4 into 1 exaust, looks like good rubber, chain etc
    Any help though woul dbe great. I'll have to have you take a look at it w/ me.

Mark

PS: This site was in my computers memery from when you were here last week end...kool site w/ some sick ass smilies

Banned

help... VFR700 questions

I believe that was the infamous "chocolate camshaft" V4, wasn't it? In which case I would listen for any taps and rattles from the top end. Other than that, the V4 motors are solid.

help... VFR700 questions

I think it was an earlier model that had the pitiful cams- '83?

86 was a good year . good track bikes

Originally posted by ChR1s
    geared cams winding 1 hell of a nice sound.

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Banned

help... VFR700 questions

Originally posted by ChR1s
    Oh, was it? Cool. Sounds like this is probably a good buy Randy. Course the carbs are gonna need a good soaking in cleaner for as bit.

degs

help... VFR700 questions

Hope you don't mind me chimming in here. I consider myself a bit of an authority after having just owned 2 of these early model VFR's (had an 87 700 w/ 30K miles, and and 86 750 with 30K miles).

This bike is definitely not the one with the soft cams, that was the earlier model VF's - never the VFR's.

The only item that commonly fails on these that I know of is the reguator/rectifier. If you can, check the charging system, but this is one of those items that pretty much fails without notice. A lot people blame the failure on the heat that the part sees. (I had mounted a small PC fan on the unit on my 87 VFR).

I will tell you that taking the carbs off to clean them is a little bit of a bitch, because of the opposing angles of the V-four engine. It takes finess (use a prybar to remove & small sledge hammer & 2x4 to replace). You DO NOT want to separate the carbs from their common mount because the linkage sucks to try to reassembly, then synchronize - trust me on this one because I know 1st - hand.

As with anything this vintage, the shock is weak and the forks are springy. People who know and love these bikes typically replace the shock with a Fox (or Ohlins $$$). Also, get a cartridge emulator kit, and/or progressive rate springs.

The tires are bias ply (and a little skinny by modern standards). Also they are becoming a little harder to get because of the size (16" front, 18" rear). If you get one with a CBR600F2 "upgrade", then even better.

Other than that, parts are readily available, although the aftermarket is drying up because manufacturer's are not making parts and what is available on the shelf is all that is remaining.

Check out yahoogroups "vfrlist" for a ton of info on this specific model vfr (86-87). Also hondavfr.org is dedicated to this model.

Don't let the tires/suspension fool you though. These bikes are fairly light and handle well. It is the VFR that was the direct result of Bubba Shobert's racing heritage. It went head-to-head with the GSXR at the time, but with a less radical seating position.

The 700 was a tariff beater bike because the government imposed extra taxes on 750's & up (to bail out Harley, who then screwed us by keeping their costs high, and technology low). It had a decreased stroke, same bore. It does rev a little higher than the 750, but having now had both I can say that the 750 felt a little more powerful. The 700 has a more car-like dash and the 750 had round racer-type gauges (I also prefer these).

Tim B.
    Manchester, NH
    2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
    CSBA #256
    www.christiansportbike.com
    Jesus Rocks!

Banned

help... VFR700 questions

Check out ebay motors, search for "HRC" to find a whole bunch of VF700/750 race parts for sale right now. Some guy in Connecticut is parting out a bunch of race bikes.

derek

help... VFR700 questions

WOW this is a great board with lots of help
    Hey Viffer I did notice that you has just sold some VFR's and from the info you gave it does sound like you know em pretty good.
    I remember the owner telling me about the linkage, etc when taking the carbs off. He did seem to think that I can get them cleaned up with out taking them off. He said that only 2 of the 4 carbs seem to have build up (varnish) in them.
    The tires aren't stock so I doubt there bias ply. The plastic (fairings) says 750 but its only a 700.
    Its got a Yoshi' 4-1 exaust and 2 stage jets from what I'm told ( Of course I did see the pipe's etc but no jetting)

I'm sure I'll have to give my ol' man0 (RandyO) a look at it first But from what I hear from you guys it sounds like it'll be worth getting

help... VFR700 questions

The vintage VFR is a very enjoyable ride. I wish that I could have kept one!

The tires - even replacement - are most likely bias ply. Some people go as wide as a 150 on the rear, but that is really pushing it. Stock size is a 130 rear. I have seen 140's that seem to work well. I don't think that you will find a radial in the size to fit the stock wheels, if I recall correctly, the rear wheel is only 4.5" wide. Most modern sportbikes are 17 inch diameter x 5.5" or 6" wide rear.

The 86 that I sold had Dunlop D501's and they seemed good - no complaints.
    The 87 had Michellin Macadam's and I really liked those.

Don't be fooled by the fact that they are bias ply, tire techology has come a long way, even on these type tires. As far as traction, on the street, you will not notice any difference. On the 87 that I had, I had to start rotating exhaust clamps because they were touching down during hard lean angles. Lots 'O fun. The difference that I can tell is compliance over bumps and imperfections in the road. The radials seem to handle that stuff better.

Yes, you can take the carbs off and clean them up without actually separating them from one-another. The part that sucks is the removal and installation. Like I mentioned, I used a flat bar to pry them out of the manifold sockets, then had to loosen all of the manifold clamps, spray the sockets with WD-40, then use a hammer to whack the whole assembly back into place. Doesn't sound too pretty, but it works. The only issue is that if the rubber manifolds are getting dry and cracked, they may bite the big one during this process.

Valves on these bikes are threaded adjuster type and actually very easy to adjust. It requires a lot of disassembly to get in there, but after you take one apart a couple of times it can be done in 2-3 hours. I think this might be something that you want to listen/check for because it is such a pain to get in there, some people neglect this maintenance.

For what it is worth, I sold my 86 750 for $1400 and it ran great, but had obsviously lived a hard life. My 87 700 I sold for $2000 and it was in as good of condition as an actually ridden bike of that age could be. It had a stage 1 jet kit, K&N, and yosh 4-1. The guy that bought it commented to me that it was the best buy he has ever made! I sold it because I got a decent deal on a 1990 VFR, which was updated quite a bit (radials, single-sided swingarm, etc...). After having done it the only thing that I felt was worth the upgrade was the more modern wide tires. Better for posing (also more $$$ to replace ! )

Tim B.
    Manchester, NH
    CSBA #256
    Jesus Rocks!

help... VFR700 questions

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NHViffer
    [B]Hope you don't mind me chimming in here. I consider myself a bit of an authority after having just owned 2 of these early model VFR's (had an 87 700 w/ 30K miles, and and 86 750 with 30K miles).

Well Then I know who to call to help out to fix the one I probly gonna get. Its only bout a hour ride
    Have you ever met "RandyO" (my ol' man)??

I most likely will get this vfr from co-worker but gonna have randy check out too for shits and grins

help... VFR700 questions

Sure, I'll help whatever I can...

Tim B.
    Manchester, NH
    CSBA #256
    Jesus Rocks!

help... VFR700 questions

Hey Viffer thanks fro the help w everything so far you seem to really know these early VFR's. Any chance you happen to havea decent shop manual for them???

help... VFR700 questions

Nope. Gave away the last one with the last VFR that I sold. The Hayes manual is actually very good though and can be found for about $15. I have had both the factory service manual and the Hayes manual and recommend just getting the Hayes, because it is that good (at least for this bike).

Do you think that your going to buy it?

Where is the bike located? Just curious.. I see that you are near Farmington. I can help when you get it to show you how to get at everything (carbs off, etc..) Sounds like a good ride for me to take on the Daytona on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Tim B.
    Manchester, NH
    CSBA #256
    Jesus Rocks!

help... VFR700 questions

Hey there Tim
    Yeah Im pretty sure Im gonna get the bike. Its in Northwood alomost into Deerfield.
    I plan to take Randy out to check it out w/ me on thursday

help... VFR700 questions

Well I took RandyO out to look at the VFR last nite and I think I hjave his approval on it I'm glad I took anothe rlook at it because I was able to notice a few more things about it.