Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Waterproof boot recs?

Waterproof boot recs?

Any suggestions or recommendations for waterproof touring boots in the sub-$170 range? Three-quarter to full length to be used primarily for commuting. Or on the flip side, any suggestions for simple boot covers?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Waterproof boot recs?

I have these. They work well.

I keep them tucked into my rain gear kit.

I have SIDI Way Rains or Tour Rains or something. I got them on clearance for $100 cause I wear a 48, all other sizes were $150 at the time. Decent protection, full shank in the sole, I rode them in an extended down pour (7+hours) this spring and my feet finally got wet when my socks wicked the water in (didn't put on the rain pants til too late). They aren't a racey looking boot and don't have that level or protection, but they work well for touring, comfy to walk it, etc.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

I've been wearing a pair of Tour Master Solution WP boots for about three years, very good, and just over $100. They are comfortable on the bike and comfortable for walking, and so far, show little wear. The newest version is probably better. They are almost as good as the Gaerne boots I bought for $275. The Gaernes are a little taller and a little warmer.

Last edited by whynot; 10-12-12 at 09:43 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

$100!!!

Waterproof boot recs?

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    I've been wearing a pair of Tour Master Solution WP boots for about three years, very good, and just over $100. They are comfortable on the bike and comfortable for walking, and so far, show little wear. The newest version is probably better. They are almost as good as the Gaerne boots I bought for $275. The Gaernes are a little taller and a little warmer.
    I've read mixed reviews on the water proofness of these. Any comment?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Icon has the Patrol boots that are waterproof. retail for $150. their Reign boots are $170 retail. im actually thinking about a set. i may even get Icons whole Patrol set (jacket, pants, gloves and boots)

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Waterproof boot recs?

I was looking at the patrol boots too.

even with all the criticism that ICON gets, they dont appear to make bad stuff. i think for the most part people dont like them because they are flashy. usually in this business, if something is flashy its not functional (ie: HD stuff). their stuff seems very straightforward to me. their Patrol gear seems very well set up .

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Waterproof boot recs?

I have a pair of A* goretex boots that are about 5 years old. I stood in water almost up to the top a few years ago and my feet stayed completely dry. IIRC they were around $150 new.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    even with all the criticism that ICON gets, they dont appear to make bad stuff. i think for the most part people dont like them because they are flashy. usually in this business, if something is flashy its not functional (ie: HD stuff). their stuff seems very straightforward to me. their Patrol gear seems very well set up .
    After you posted that, I spent a few minutes reading some of the details about that Patrol lineup. I agree with you. But then it doesn't have the absurd flash that most Icon stuff has.

My concern is that it is entry level nylon stuff. Wondering if it isn't worth springing for some better stuff from one of the more usual suspects..

hijacking my own thread, i have a pair of icon shorty perf leather gloves and a pair of full gauntlet waterproof winter gloves and have been happy. simple classic designs.

- - - Updated - - -

and i picked up a cheap pair of boot covers this afternoon. looks like i'll have the chance to test them next week.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    After you posted that, I spent a few minutes reading some of the details about that Patrol lineup. I agree with you. But then it doesn't have the absurd flash that most Icon stuff has.

My concern is that it is entry level nylon stuff. Wondering if it isn't worth springing for some better stuff from one of the more usual suspects..
    i have a slight advantage as i can peruse parts books at work ( i actually have my '12 book here at home) and see all whats available. the problem i have with brands like A* is they make so much shit that is so similar and the price range is huge. $900 for an "adventure style" jacket is just absurd. then a page or 2 later is something rather similar for almost half the price. then when you compare the A* product that is at a similar price point as the Icon, the Icon wins in features.
    ill admit that A* has some very cool stuff. i really like their Durban jacket and it seems similar to the Patrol but its $200 more.
    as far as their "lack of flash" in the Patrol stuff, they added the "Raiden" versions which are exactly the same but flashier.
    i guess i find it humorous that people will complain that everything is so expensive and then when a brand like Icon comes along and sells stuff at a lower price point everyone turns their noses up and thinks "it must suck because its not expensive enough, and it all looks so poser because they actually seem to have a talented art dept" (ill admit that im just as guilty). i guess im just starting to see that if these pro stunt riders are willing to wear this stuff while doing 100mph drifts then maybe its not that bad after all.
    maybe im just getting old
    my Joe Rocket stuff is ancient (at least 10 years) and ive been through several pairs of A* gloves. ive lost a little confidence in A*s over the past year or so. last year my race gloves that were only a year or 2 old blew apart in a lowside and completely skinned the palm side of my pinky. this summer i bought a pair of shorty summer gloves made by A* and after about a month or so some of the stitching was coming apart. i emailed them asking if there was any warranty since they were still so new. a week later i got a response that stated (im paraphrasing) "thanks for your email concerning our product. sorry for the inconvenience, heres a coupon for 10% off your next A* purchase".....gee...thanks.

Last edited by SVRACER01; 10-12-12 at 08:47 PM.

truncated phrase here trider143's Avatar

If you are willing to go a bit higher $$ (around 200), I recommend the Gaerne touring boots. I have used them for years, and they have kept me dry and comfortable in all kinds of weather. I have a pair from a few years ago similar to these : Revzilla - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gaerne-gking-boots. I bought mine from the now closed Moto Mkt. May be a good time to get closeout discounts by looking around. These have kept me dry in even the heaviest of rains.

I wear these year round; In the summer if I expect it may rain, otherwise I something cooler., and regularly in the fall/winter/spring.

Lifer

ill admit that A* has some very cool stuff. i really like their Durban jacket and it seems similar to the Patrol but its $200 more.
    I am too.

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that lineup appeals because it isn't flashy. Most of the icon stuff is easy to ignore because it looks absurd. I have no problem wearing less fashionable; most of my stuff is Cortech or Tour Master. I like the price, I like the features. What worries me is the build. Will this crap really save my bacon if I go down.

And that's my thing: how protective is it vs something like an Aerostitch or Olympia or Revit or whatever.

Goodbye wife, hello bike! Father Ribs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
    I wear the Tourmaster WP2 and find it comfortable enough to wear working a 12 hour shift that is 2/3 walking/standing. As for waterproof, I haven't been in too many downpours in them but I do know the one time I wore jeans in a downpour the boots filled with trickle down water and it held a travel mug's worth of coffee IN, so I assume it would hold the same amount of it OUT. They're very affordable compared to some of the boots these folks are rocking though I assume the level of protection is at the same ratio.

My only beef with the boots is that the velcro panel that swings over the zipper should be about an inch longer to get nice flat coverage; the zipper is covered well but it just feels like it should overlap more and more solidly.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
    Have to say I've never been in really heavy rain for an extended period, but for getting caught in the rain for an hour or so, no problems so far with the Tour Master Solution WP.

They have a lot more walking support than my Sidi boots and Gaerne boots.

And don't believe everything you think.

Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" )

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba
    I am too.

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that lineup appeals because it isn't flashy. Most of the icon stuff is easy to ignore because it looks absurd. I have no problem wearing less fashionable; most of my stuff is Cortech or Tour Master. I like the price, I like the features. What worries me is the build. Will this crap really save my bacon if I go down.

And that's my thing: how protective is it vs something like an Aerostitch or Olympia or Revit or whatever.
    I didn't misunderstand. I was kinda venting. In the grand scheme of things, no one ever wants to find out if their gear holds up