Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yamaha R7

Re: Yamaha R7

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    100% was made to compete in the twins classes in racing
    You’re right, but what’s built out to race in MA is not what you’re going to see at CCS and WERA. I have no doubt it’ll be competitive in MA, it’ll also be a $25k build...at which point it will be a real race bike, not really an R7 anymore.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    You’re right, but what’s built out to race in MA is not what you’re going to see at CCS and WERA. I have no doubt it’ll be competitive in MA, it’ll also be a $25k build...at which point it will be a real race bike, not really an R7 anymore.
    i highly doubt Yamaha in Japan designed this bike for MA or anything in the US in mind. i was thinking more of the twins classes in the European and World level. but yes, same thing. these major manufactures dont design a sportbike for street riding. the newer liter bikes all come equipped with quick shifters, traction control, and even launch control in some.

PS - most of the non SBK MA racers do still race at the club level. it's seat time, ways to test changes, and easy contingency money for them.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

i highly doubt Yamaha in Japan designed this bike for MA or anything in the US in mind. i was thinking more of the twins classes in the European and World level. but yes, same thing. these major manufactures dont design a sportbike for street riding. the newer liter bikes all come equipped with quick shifters, traction control, and even launch control in some.

PS - most of the non SBK MA racers do still race at the club level. it's seat time, ways to test changes, and easy contingency money for them.
    I know that, Captain Obvious. Discussing the bike through it's relevance to the US market, including US racing. MA has said for several years their intent is for their classes to follow the European series.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I'm more interested in this than a Kawi EX650, which I think was the goal.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

So from all the reviews it’s a great bike just needs suspension and better brakes. From what you guys are saying this as a track bike / race bike will not be competitive at all. It looks like it’s a sporty sv650 on paper and paying $4000+ more for the rs660 which will probably not compete in a racing class because of the added HP kinda is pointless no?

It’s a mid weight sport bike with the right weight and limited tech. It definitely fills the gap in their portfolio. I’m surprised it’s getting so much hate.

these major manufactures dont design a sportbike for street riding. the newer liter bikes all come equipped with quick shifters, traction control, and even launch control in some.
    I don't think your evidence supports your conclusion. Despite the geometry, a late-model ZX-6R is a *very* polished street bike. Major manufacturers design platforms to sell units and make bank. Developing platforms that win races is a means to that end: it markets effectively to both the buying public and to top-shelf design talent that want to work in a culture of pride and performance. The overwhelming majority of sportbike buyers will never start a single competitive event. Quickshifters and traction control are both dual-use tools: convenience and safety respectively.

Launch control is a better example for your case. As a street bike feature it caters to serial stoplight hoons, and normies who might try it out once or twice in the first week after they exit motor break-in jail. Maybe it's fun; I wouldn't know or care. It *is* a neat hardware/software farkle (throttle-by-wire, but also for the clutch I guess?) but almost entirely orthogonal to meaningful performance. I expect to see a "pit lane speed limiter button" on street bikes in the next 10-15 years for the same reason; and I guarantee you they'll make it adjustable so normies can use it as a pre-set cruise control button on their morning commute. I mean hell, the combo of launch control and preset cruise speed would probably make it safer to merge onto Route 9.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by Beinggodisgreat View Post
    So from all the reviews it’s a great bike just needs suspension and better brakes. From what you guys are saying this as a track bike / race bike will not be competitive at all. It looks like it’s a sporty sv650 on paper and paying $4000+ more for the rs660 which will probably not compete in a racing class because of the added HP kinda is pointless no?

It’s a mid weight sport bike with the right weight and limited tech. It definitely fills the gap in their portfolio. I’m surprised it’s getting so much hate.
    I have ridden the Yamaha CP2 engine and it's a fine lil street bike engine. I think the cam profiles are designed to give you better low and mid range torque than to provide top end power. This makes for a really boring sportbike motor. I've raced an R3 and I know boring. I think unlocking the CP2 potential is race cam's and an ECU that will let it rev. Or course it will be as reliable as an RSS660 at that point....

The bike is pitched as filling the gap to the R1 from the R3. I think it's closer to a big R3 than a middle point to the R1. Personally I love that anniversary paint R7 athletics. If it had the bhp of an RS660 and was close to same price of the RS660 I'd have buy one over the RS I bought. But that CP2 motor is boring!

Yamaha R7-rszd_2021-yamaha-mt-07-dyno

Send cash... I need a track day

I was checking one over at one of the local dealers near me this morning. Long story short, I had to talk him into Googling "R7 OWO1" to prove that Yamaha did indeed at one time manu an R7 that the new one only shares a paint scheme with. This was after about 10 minutes of disagreeing with me and being a condescending twat in front of his potential customer. All he could come up with once he realized he was wrong was, "well, that was 20 years ago". He was a total fuckin' moron with only knowledge of what was sitting on the showroom floor.

"Gobs of low end torque that'll get you around NHMS like no mid-weight twin has"...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Yamaha R7-6f199624-e0ae-46a8-9ca2-2d7832d1c0d7

Pretty much the smack he was trying to lay down.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

And prolly worth more than anything on the sales floor..

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

I hate that they called it the R7.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Your park avenue leads to..

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I was checking one over at one of the local dealers near me this morning. Long story short, I had to talk him into Googling "R7 OWO1" to prove that Yamaha did indeed at one time manu an R7 that the new one only shares a paint scheme with. This was after about 10 minutes of disagreeing with me and being a condescending twat in front of his potential customer. All he could come up with once he realized he was wrong was, "well, that was 20 years ago". He was a total fuckin' moron with only knowledge of what was sitting on the showroom floor.

"Gobs of low end torque that'll get you around NHMS like no mid-weight twin has"...

I was at a HD dealer once and he had a flat track looking sportster. I forget the model designation. But anyway i said reminds me of Springsteens bike. The look on his face said Bruce not Jay. I was going to say the famous HD racer but figured why waste the oxygen.

2013 ZX6R-636

Lifer

Just saw KTM and MV Agusta are teaming up to sell at the same dealer. Didn’t think it was new thread worthy.

Love to see a super adventure next to an F4, mmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I hate that they called it the R7.
    It’s a big sad

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Just saw KTM and MV Agusta are teaming up to sell at the same dealer. Didn’t think it was new thread worthy.

Love to see a super adventure next to an F4, mmmmmmmmmm
    Same dealers or just same warehousing and logistics?
    Disregard I guess some select dealers and logistics for all US MV.

Last edited by backinthesaddle; 09-23-22 at 07:15 PM.
    2013 ZX6R-636

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Same dealers or just same warehousing and logistics?
    Disregard I guess some select dealers and logistics for all US MV.
    Too many words for me to read

https://www.advrider.com/ktm-to-dist...ter-09-22-2022