Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Daytona 2010??

In hibernation

Daytona 2010??

I've never been and want to go.

I'm looking for any feedback from anyone who has been down there. Likes/Dislikes, must see's, must avoids, lodging recommendations... anything. Specific to sport bikes (of course)

Also... if anyone else was thinking of trailering down next year as well?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Daytona 2010??

I've never been either, but when I was thinking of going down a couple of years ago, a co-worker of mine that was originally from Daytona told me a few things to keep in mind.

1. Your first time going down there, trailer your bike, don't ride. This is almost a given for sportbikes, but you'll enjoy your stay much more if you're not exhausted from the ride down, or weary about the return trip home.

2. Spend as little time downtown as possible. Anyone who's ever been to one of the major bike rallies (I grew up near Sturgis) knows downtown areas are slowed to a crawl. Sure, its fun to show off your bike on the strip, but slipping the clutch for several miles is not as much fun as it sounds...not to mention exhaust heat... Of course a lot of the major events happen there, but I guess its better to park a couple of streets over from the major venues, and hike it.

3. To go along with #2, do research on the surrounding areas and roads before you go. Apparently there are some really fun and exciting places and roads to ride, even though this is Florida we're talking about. Don't expect mountain switchbacks, but at least there's no frost heaves.

4. Be prepared for the temperature change. Going from New England winter to Daytona in late winter/early spring can be a shock the first time you experience it. You'll leave here in a parka and boots, but you'll wanna strip down to shorts and sandals as soon as you get there. So I guess, pack appropriately.

Again, I've never been, so I won't vouch for his advice personally, but this stuff does make a lot of sense. I don't know much of anything about specific locales down there, so hopefully someone else can chime in with that. Good luck with the planning, have fun!

Last edited by KawiSmurf; 07-31-09 at 09:11 AM.

Doooo iiitttt.......Daytona is definitely fun. If you are looking for good riding, this is not the place for it though as the turns are on ramps to the highway and elevation changes come in the form of bridges. It is a lot of motorcycles during a long winter, which is always nice. Definitely get over to the track....watching the fast guys on the banking is awesome! Oh and it can be warm, but don't pack all warm weather stuff. It was 38 degrees both days when I got to the track and never got over 50 or 55.

Also there were a lot of vacancies this year so I would shop around for hotels. You can probably find a good deal! Maybe I will see you down there.

You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf650 View Post

1. Your first time going down there, trailer your bike, don't ride. This is almost a given for sportbikes, but you'll enjoy your stay much more if you're not exhausted from the ride down, or weary about the return trip home.
    Meh, throw some tire chains on 'til you get out of New England's snow, and you'll be good to go!
    I'd do the ride on my couch rocket if I had the time to go!

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

From a 50+yr old perspective. (1st time I went was in 1979.)

I had a Kaw 600 to burrow and ride in 06. Temps were 80s couple days and it felt awsome. Had a great time just enjoying the heat. Best spot was Winghouse near the track right off the interstate. Downtown at night was to frigging crowded on weekend for me but you may love it.

Went last year with the wife/rental car. Some things changed a lot since 06.

Last year went to races on Thurs. Cheaper and we saw more races than the day of the 200. We didn't want to deal with traffic so stayed out near the track. There were a shitload more vendors outside the track thought not much for bargains really. Was warm and something to do in between races.

Races are OK there but not a great place to see a race by any stretch. Seems like they get stretched out a lot. The 200 was at night for the 1st time, we didn't go. I watched on a big screen at my in-laws in Ocala and was glad I didn't go. They had the rolling start and a bunch of NASCAR like rules which I thought sucked.

When we left we tried to go to the Winghouse and couldn't find a place to park the cage. It was jammed. Back in 06 it was less crowded there but they didn't have all the vendors at the track.

We're planning to fly down again this year. I'd love to have a bike down there but it's too much hassle for me for the few days I can spare. Some day I hope to pick up a beater 600 and store it at my in-laws to ride for bike week.

I looked into renting ... it was a joke.

Murphy says you'll catch up to Granma just before the Twisty sign.

Ive been for bike week and for Biketoberfest. My preference is biketoberfest. Its not quite as crowded and there is a phenomenal stunt show that happens a little ways up from the track. Bike week is fun, just an extraordinary amount of people(almost gets too crowded to move). Either one is fun though. Definitely trailer your bike down, there is usually bad weather along the way that time of year.

Ale House and the Hess Station near the track.

I stayed at a Hotel right next to the Hess Station and across from the Ale House.

Had alot of AMA racers hanging out in the Ale House the night I went.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X