Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

New England Motomarathon 2011

New England Motomarathon 2011

Yep, it's on!! Workin out the details and I'll post as they become available. Stops at Americade and Laconia should be interesting as well as a couple of loooong days out of Shelburne. Not for the faint of heart! We had quite the crew last year on everything from GS's a,GTS,to a pristine CBX. C'mon up and make some new friends and ride some of the areas scenic roads from CT. to Maine. Mountain Headquarters will again be at Birch Bend MotoLodge in Shelburne NH. Mark your calender June 9-12.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: New England Motomarathon 2011

Deserves a repost...

Soon to be repost in events

Right now I am leaning to going I hope the route planner knows it will take 2 hours to go from Glens Falls to Lake George and 2 hours to pass through Weir's Beach. The LEO's within 50 miles stirred up like Hornets

I love riding in upstate NY. How is it with a crowd of bikes? One of the things I like about upstate is the lack of LEOs....

I admit I'm not that impressed with the rally stops and totally agree they will eat up time. I'm workin on days 2-3 and hopefully they won't be to impacted with too many rolling roadblocks (ya know, those large groups of beanie wearin morons that insist on going 10 mph below speed limits) or overzealous LEO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Deserves a repost...

Soon to be repost in events

Right now I am leaning to going I hope the route planner knows it will take 2 hours to go from Glens Falls to Lake George and 2 hours to pass through Weir's Beach. The LEO's within 50 miles stirred up like Hornets
    It will be about 400 miles each day. Each rider will technically have 24 hours to get to each check point and return to base camp. Now, you don't have to reach each check point. A leader's recon will take place late May to validate or change sections of the route.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooler955 View Post
    I love riding in upstate NY. How is it with a crowd of bikes? One of the things I like about upstate is the lack of LEOs....
    You can ride with friends or you can ride alone, it is totally up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbandit14 View Post
    I admit I'm not that impressed with the rally stops and totally agree they will eat up time. I'm workin on days 2-3 and hopefully they won't be to impacted with too many rolling roadblocks (ya know, those large groups of beanie wearin morons that insist on going 10 mph below speed limits) or overzealous LEO's.
    When the dates were picked they happened to fall between Americade and Laconia so the founder of Motomarathon (he lives in CO) thought it might be a good idea to touch those places. Feed back is saying that this might not be such a hot idea. What we will try to do is ride near it without actually going in the town. After all it is all about riding as many twisties and "knotches" as possible over 4 days.

07 MV Agusta SENNA (261/300)
    08 Aprilia RSV1000R (resting in pieces)
    04 Ducati 749S (track project)

New England Motomarathon
    June 9-12 2011
    http://www.motomarathon.com

day 1

motomarathon New England is underway!

We just had our first riders' meeting this evening at MotoFit in Danbury, CT where the Day 1's Checl Points were disclosed to the 30 participating riders.

CP 1 - Fort Ticonderoga

CP 2 - The Old Hancock Hotel

We will end the ride tomorrow at the Birch Bend MotoLodge in Shelburne, NH.

I am excited about this year's MM. We have more riders, we have a great route plan, and I am riding a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 which is a far far far cry from the sport bikes I usually ride.

I will write more about it tomorrow at the end of day 1.

New England Motomarathon
    June 9-12 2011

400 miles a day. no sweat. but i did not have to to prepare with the move and get the time off. rrrrrr

Day 1 in the books Day 2 underway. Here's some pics.

Day 1

We left Motofit in Danbury at 8:30 am once all riders had check in and left. We rode up NY 22 all the way to Fort Ticonderoga. It was a nice relaxing ride on the Kawasaki Vulcan 900, a.k.a. “the milk truck.” Day one saw us doing 460 miles mainly because I got lost, well not lost, I was doing route reconnaissance for next year that was 30 miles more than the recommended route. Somewhere north of Fort Ticonderoga I missed the sign for NY 22 and continued on NY 74 W. Suddenly I saw I-87?1?!?!

In true Marine Corps fashion I pretended to know I had the situation under control and got on US 9 north bound, not to be confused with US9N which is where I need to be. Some 20 miles later I saw a sign that saved my butt “Ferry 24 hours” that was the ferry we were to cross at Port Henry. We took a right on some road, OMG (yes I said “OMG”) that road was awesome! It was a 12 miles stretch of twiesties so free flowing that you “knew” what the next turn was going to be like. Thank you NYDOT. When we finally got to the ferry I knew we were 4 hours out and it was 4 pm. We decided to skip check point 2 with the attempt to make it in by 8 pm, so I missed out on VT 125 over Middlebury Gap!

We got rained on five different times! Once we got dry, bam! We were wet again. We made it in to the Birch Bend MotoLodge at 7:45 pm, 15 minutes from the drop dead time. John, the founder who was with me when I got lost and eventually we parted ways arrived just after 8pm getting a Did Not Finish (DNF).

We have a total of 28 riders (2 did not start, 1 scratched his eye the other broke his arm a week prior) and don’t forget we have 3 wives riding two-up.

It was a very long ride on a bike I was completely unfamiliar, we were all tried but it was a great time.

New England Motomarathon
    June 9-12 2011