Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Big, Big, Big, Long, Long, Long Ride - Crash Update

I spent five nights (Sun-Fri) in the hospital and had surgery on Wed. to remove fragments of the head of my femur from the joint. The result was a really sore hip and a 9-10 incision running up my outside leg-hip held together for 20-odd staples.

Very frankenstein, very street cred and good for 10, maybe 12, horsepower. I'll get pic of eventually, for those inquiring minds out there.

The nursing staff was all of a good quality with regard to healthcare. Suzy, Lindsay and Priscilla were standouts in the "healthcare plus" category. Thanks especially to Lindsay for introducing me to "low-rise" scrubs. I didn't know they existed, but she wore them, ever so well.

I've been home for the past two nights and I'm definitely on the mend. I can feel the musculo-skeletal "stuff" starting to work again and the pain is dramatically reduced. My wife ROCKS and is totally taking care of me. She gives a mean shot and puts on a great bandage.

The visiting nurse is kinda mediocre, puts on a crappy bandage, and well, can't even be compared to my wife.

Hopefully my physical therapist will be good on many different levels!

Naturally, I'm getting around much better and spend a lot more time awake, but I still get totally annihilated by activity. For instance, the event sequence of taking a shower, going downstairs, and eating breakfast took over an hour and was followed by a three hour nap! As you can see, I'm exploring my inner sloth.

Anyway, I'm looking at 1-2 weeks of bedrest, and 4-6 weeks of PT.

The long-term prognosis is for a hip-replacement, which sucks but what can you do. Hopefully I can extend the life of my current hip as long as possible, but if it gets in the way of life I'll get that sucker replaced without a second thought.

Next should be a bike update. Bob, the guy holding it for me is out of town this weekend and I'm trying to get All State to pay for transportation from his place to the shop in Merrimack, NH. Peg's been making all the calls so far, but on Tuesday I'll give them a ring and try it get if figured.

Thanks for listening and please reply, my health is at stake

JB

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by johnnybob; 09-02-07 at 05:25 PM.

Glad to hear you're ok!

Awesome John...great to hear from you! Did your license and registration show up? Cops said they would mail it to your house!

Keep us posted on your progress...listen to what the med profs say...especially when they start talking about rehab. Good rehab and rigor can dramatically accelerate the recovery process!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Just Registered The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

hey John you are a young spirit and it sounds like you have the right support around which is key to a speedy recovery ... props to your wife for being there for you.

keep us posted

---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

Littering and........

Mend up quickly, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Awesome John...great to hear from you! Did your license and registration show up? Cops said they would mail it to your house!

Keep us posted on your progress...listen to what the med profs say...especially when they start talking about rehab. Good rehab and rigor can dramatically accelerate the recovery process!
    No license/registration yet. It was the Maine Stateys right? I may need to give them a call. Hopefully the ID and Reg are'nt being slowed down by all the companion citations that need to be prepared for mailing!

Peace,

JB

Glad you're healing up well but sorry you had to leave the "healthcare plus" services you were enjoying. Good luck with the physical therapist.

John,

Sorry to hear about your crash, but glad to hear that you're doing well. We haven't met and I was not able to make the ride, but I did hear through the NESR grapevine that you're in Rindge. I'm also in Rindge...

If there's anything you need while you're healing up, let me know and I'll do whatever I can for you...

Where is your bike? If you need someone to transport it, I'll volunteer to go get it and deliver it for ya...

--Brad

2010 BMW S1000RR - Soon to be track dedicated!
    2006 BMW K1200 R
    2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i - Trackbike - SOLD
    2003 Kawasaki EX 250 - Hers
    2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD - Sport

I can still walk around in my garage, I need more toys...

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybob View Post
    Very frankenstein, very street cred and good for 10, maybe 12, horsepower. I'll get pic of eventually, for those inquiring minds out there.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by bmrider View Post
    John,

Sorry to hear about your crash, but glad to hear that you're doing well. We haven't met and I was not able to make the ride, but I did hear through the NESR grapevine that you're in Rindge. I'm also in Rindge...

If there's anything you need while you're healing up, let me know and I'll do whatever I can for you...

Where is your bike? If you need someone to transport it, I'll volunteer to go get it and deliver it for ya...

--Brad
    Brad,

I think we may have met several times, but if you aren't a neighborhood horseshoe chucker, I may be wrong.

Thanks for the offer Brad, I may need to take you up on it!

Hope to chat soon.

John

I think we may have met several times, but if you aren't a neighborhood horseshoe chucker, I may be wrong.
    Nope, I don't think that's me. Although I do enjoy a game of 'shoes, I haven't played since I moved here...

As for the offer to pick up your bike, let me know... I'll be available this weekend, and would have no issues with making a run up to Maine and getting it for ya...

2010 BMW S1000RR - Soon to be track dedicated!
    2006 BMW K1200 R
    2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i - Trackbike - SOLD
    2003 Kawasaki EX 250 - Hers
    2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD - Sport

I can still walk around in my garage, I need more toys...

Hey John,

It's great to hear that you are making steady progress.

I drive by Second Wind several days a week. If you ever need anything give me a holler.

great read john (low-rise scrubs? ), good to hear that you're taking this very well

I hope you have a speedy, complete recovery, and if there's anything I can do to help, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybob View Post
    No license/registration yet. It was the Maine Stateys right? I may need to give them a call. Hopefully the ID and Reg are'nt being slowed down by all the companion citations that need to be prepared for mailing!

Peace,

JB

John...don't think it was a Statey...think it was a local Sheriff...most likely out of Paris or Bethel. I would call the Sheriff out of Paris at (207) 743-9554

I also seriously doubt any citations are forthcoming....

Dave

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Johhny you must be going crazy with all the bed rest. All though the body needs it, the mind wants to ride. The words of Duc Dave echo in my head when he rode into the base at Mnt. Washington and said: "Well if you havn't noticed, we're short 1 rider". I felt a pit right away and even though I don't know you, my mood was changed for the day. Especially not knowing how serious your injury was. It's great reading your posts here, obviously you are going to be just fine. I hope you have a very speedy recovery with fine young female PT employees wearing low cut everything!

Keep your spirits up.

If we're here to help others.....what are others here for?

@BMRider, Wow, KillBill and I thought we knew the same guy! Apparently there are two BMW-riding Brads in Rindge, the Brad I know has a R1200RT. You ever owned a race-prepped Miata? I sent you a PM. Tks.

@KillBill, I have a service appt scheduled for next Tuesday, hopefully I can work out transport and drop for this weekend.

@Bhavesh, Thanks for the good wishes. Ahh, Lindsay... I'll remember that belly forever. Whoa boy, back to the post. Ahem.

@DucDave, you were right, not troopers, it was the Oxford Cty. Sheriff's. I left a message for the officer on the scene, also requested an accident report. Hurray on the citations insight!

@BusaBoy, thanks for the note, I was so looking forward to riding Mt. Washington, must've been great. I am going a bit nuts. I still have a couple of superbike races on tivo, but they'll be done today. I was cruising cycle trader looking at potential track bikes. I can't think about anything except friggin' motorcycles.

Yes, I'm healing fine and have met my PT. She's a bit of a wallflower, but I think I can draw her out. It'd be nice if she wore less clothing though. Gawd, I am such a dirty old man, makes me wonder how my wife puts up with me.

Thanks for all the posts, truly appreciated!

John

John

Last edited by johnnybob; 09-06-07 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Brevity, you're welcome!