Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Group Ride/ Event Ride Necessities

Group Ride/ Event Ride Necessities

Hey, so im new to riding and im new to NESR.

Because of this sad fact, im a little behind on requirements and skill.

Are there any requirements for a group ride aside from the rules? (for instance safety equipement or a license vs. a permit) And how long should you be riding before you join on one?

I love the idea of a group ride, but i hate the idea of sharing a lane with another rider with my skill level. (Not for my safety, but for theirs) Are senior riders aware of these sort of things and mindful of newer riders in the group?

Also as one of the rules about police officers has caused me to wonder, how fast do these rides generally move? Are the police usually interested in the speed of the participants? (And can my 500cc Bike keep up?)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Group Ride/ Event Ride Necessities

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Are there any requirements for a group ride aside from the rules? (for instance safety equipement or a license vs. a permit) And how long should you be riding before you join on one?

I'd recommend you wait a bit. Group rides can be intimidating. They're fun, exciting and people often ride beyond their means trying to keep up/fit in... Give it time...

I love the idea of a group ride, but i hate the idea of sharing a lane with another rider with my skill level. (Not for my safety, but for theirs) Are senior riders aware of these sort of things and mindful of newer riders in the group?

We stick you in the back

Also as one of the rules about police officers has caused me to wonder, how fast do these rides generally move? Are the police usually interested in the speed of the participants? (And can my 500cc Bike keep up?)

Cops sometimes have an issue with us... Just ask Greg

If you ain't first......you're last!

Lifer

I agree with CBR_Chick....wait until you get comfortable. Start with riding with one more person at most. Ride at your own pace. Make sure to always wear all the gear. Once you get comfortable you will find that the Ninja 500 is an animal above 7000 rpm and can easily keep up with most street riding.
    Welcome to riding!

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

If you want to ride on one of my rides the most important things are:

Attitude - Stay within your ability. Don't mistake ego for confidence
    Gear - What you wear says a lot about your attitude.
    Aibility to control your own bike, maintain a 3-4 second spacing, expect the rider in front out you to do the unexpected and ride like the rider behind you is 5 inches off your ass! (Be predictable and signal big hand up or leg out if your going to change what your doing.)
    Show up early for the ride and be fueled up!
    Most of us lead rides following these simpe rules and 'No one gets left behind'. We stop at all major intersections of changes of routes and make sure the whole group is together. We have experienced Sweeps and some groups have members with Communication (Chatterbox) gear to make sure we stay together.

I say, once you feel confident that you can control your bike go ahead and try a group ride. If your lucky, someone near you will spin up a couple small group rides to get you started!

Welcome and good luck!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Thanks guys! All very helpful answers.
    Hopefully ill see some of you out there soon enough. In the mean time, maybe ill stick to single rides.

Your too far for me but if you ask nice someone should volunteer for a noob ride to get you in tune

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post

Don't try to keep up. Most ride leaders want riders to remain below 80% of their ability. We would rather wait at each intersection than return to the scene of a mishap where someone used up all their skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    someone should volunteer for a noob ride to get you in tune
    I'd be glad to lead a noob ride for anyone in Northern MA & Southern NH who'd be interested. I think it would be cool. Of course you wouldn't have to be a noob to join, but the pace would be different than some of our other rides. Post up if you'd be up for this, and if there is enough interest we'll put a ride together.

I feel like this could end up being a waste of your time. ( as it won't gain to many riders attention) but if I'm wrong, id be in! Either way, the offer is appreciated. How far up into nh are ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    I'd be glad to lead a noob ride for anyone in Northern MA & Southern NH who'd be interested. I think it would be cool. Of course you wouldn't have to be a noob to join, but the pace would be different than some of our other rides. Post up if you'd be up for this, and if there is enough interest we'll put a ride together.
    hey i'll second that motion it something i definitely missed out on my first few months riding. I'll volunteer to sweep for you providing its on as Sunday . . . I work every saturday (FML) lol

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

I feel like this could end up being a waste of your time. ( as it won't gain to many riders attention) but if I'm wrong, id be in! Either way, the offer is appreciated. How far up into nh are ya?
    I actually have a feeling theres a lot of people on this site in a similiar situation to you, i'm noticed a lot of new riders and members this year.

As for joining a normal group ride take you time get some miles and you will know when your comfortable enough.

And never lane share that's a bad idea anywhere. Especially with the crap ass roads we deal with in NE. on group rides we make everyone use a staggered formation so no one is next to anyone and you have some maneuvering room. and adequate space to stop quickly if need be.

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Quote Originally Posted by Danz19899 View Post
    I actually have a feeling theres a lot of people on this site in a similiar situation to you, i'm noticed a lot of new riders and members this year.

As for joining a normal group ride take you time get some miles and you will know when your comfortable enough.

And never lane share that's a bad idea anywhere. Especially with the crap ass roads we deal with in NE. on group rides we make everyone use a staggered formation so no one is next to anyone and you have some maneuvering room. and adequate space to stop quickly if need be.

Yep to the lane sharing. I saw a lot of that this weekend. DUMB!!!

I'm not a fan of staggered formation at anything over, say, 30mph. I much prefer everyone leave a good 3-4 seconds between riders. I like to have the whole lane for my use...

Leaving 3-4 seconds means the gap increases as speed goes up.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

That makes me feel a lot more comfortable with the idea. I'm glad my love for my own lane is not just a rookie thing

I'd be IN for this. Love to be able help the rookies.

I got most of July off for vaca.. lots of time to help out.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    I'd be IN for this. Love to be able help the rookies.

I got most of July off for vaca.. lots of time to help out.
    Save most of July for putting miles on trips!

Anyways, if there is one bit of advice I can give, it is do not go above and beyond your ability. Do not even go to where you think you are, or even where you think you 80% mark is. The first (and second, I guess) crash I encountered on the street was because I was trying to follow someone who was much faster than I was at the time. I lost a line in a corner and ended up in the dirt on the side of the road. Was a BIG hit to my ego, but I also learned a valuable lesson.

Take your time to ride your own ride, and soon enough you will be ready for group rides. I know I am still getting used to them on everyone I go out on. No one group ride is the same, almost.

Be safe out there, and we will see you soon enough!

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post
    Save most of July for putting miles on trips!

As soon as I get my passport baby!

Need a passport to leave salsbury?

I organized (did not lead) a noob ride in my first few months of riding.

People who post rides are typically up front about the pace and skill required. I will most likely be organizing and leading a ride in the upcoming weeks designed for noobs and others who enjoy a noob-paced jaunt, as I am often the slowest one on a group ride (and happily stick myself in the back), despite having over 6 years and close to 30K miles under my belt.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Need a passport to leave salsbury?
    You know it!

Only moved here back in 03. Not a native.
    Come up and we can do a little ride up 1A to Portsmouth.

I found out that Mr. Manik literally lives a few houses down the street. I'll be his NESR guide

Quote Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
    I found out that Mr. Manik literally lives a few houses down the street. I'll be his NESR guide

Nice! When's the next romantic ride?

Not this week I guess. Saturday is the Hurricane Mtn ride and you have a wedding to attend.

Lifer

I'm in the seacoast NH area. I've never really done group rides, outside of close friends and family. Although I've been riding for ~17 years now. If I can ever get off my ass and buy a new bike, I'd definitely be down for something too, if that's okay.

I'm a putz and don't speed that much anymore. Honest officer, I never get this carried away, ever!

I will have to:
    A) Buy a bike
    B) Keep my eye on these forums for a heads up..

Last edited by nhbubba; 06-20-11 at 09:33 PM.

The next Romantic Ride will be soon. This week is looking crappy (weather wise), but next week is definitely a possibility.

You don't have to slab-around all solo like... try to find some local guys with bikes and just go for a cruise...

My brother, father, and fiance all ride a long with a lot of my close friends, so it's a matter of acclimating to the idea of being around other riders.

The best tips I can give you:

1. Look THROUGH the guy ahead of you. Don't fixate on their bike/tail-light... look UP and ahead, just as if no one was in front of you.

2. If you're uncomfortable in a group; LEAD. Especially if you start out with a handful of riders, get up front. Less to focus on as far as people, lines, and keeping pace.

3. DON'T WORRY. Keep your head clear, and your mind focused on what you are doing. Don't worry about being too close, or too far, or too fast, or too slow... RIDE YOUR RIDE.

4. BECOME VERY FAMILIAR WITH YOUR MOTORCYCLE. Every switch, every lever, every button, every smell, every touch, every feel, every shift should be SECOND NATURE. The last thing you want to do is be put in a situation with multiple variables (other riders/cars/animals/debris/road conditions/buildings) that causes you to panic because you're in the wrong gear, or lock up the brakes, or grab clutch when you should grab brake. (Don't laugh... it's happened!)

5. LOVE YOUR GEAR: Who cares what it looks like... be comfortable in it and pretend your jacket/gloves/boots/helmet/pants are giving you a great big HUG when you put them on... If you are fidgety, or uncomfortable in your gear, you're going to mess with it on the road, and not focus on the ride.

Lastly, get into a routine when riding/prepping to ride. When I let the bike warm up, I always check my lights, give the brake and clutch a squeeze, jacket first... then helmet.. then gloves. About once a week I'll squirt a little grease on the chain, check the oil, check the coolant and tire pressure.

Be habitual, and be comfortable when you first start out and new experiences like group riding will be that much more enjoyable down the road.

Cheers.

"Life is a tour, not a race... just stay out of my way when I'm touring!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast