Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Interesting idea @ Misano - pay for track time, not track days

Interesting idea @ Misano - pay for track time, not track days

Basically it sounds like you get charged for the actual time you're out on the track instead of paying for the whole day.

I suppose some of the track day orgs around here could implement this sometime down the line, if it makes sense.

I'm curious what other people's thoughts are on this.

In a perfect world, the revenue for the track / track day org would remain the same if you got the pricing right, although the risk for bad weather, etc. would get shifted to the riders and away from the orgs (which is understandably tough for the orgs)

From what I see, an upside would be taking away some of the pressure for last minute mechanical fixes, or if you're just not feeling up to being out for a given session.

Downsides I can think of are:
    Whatever the equipment costs (most track day riders don't have transponders, some tracks don't have timing systems)

And then there's the question - do you really want to know what a lap or a minute of track time actually costs you?

Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli Announces New Track Time-Based Rental Fees - autoevolution

Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli Announces New Track Time-Based Rental Fees

Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli Announces New Track Time-Based Rental Fees⌖
    SHARE:  SHARE SHARE TWEET PIN TUMBLRA- A+

Most racing circuits around the world offer rental services to supplement the cash flow, and amateur two- and four-wheeled weekend warriors can often be seen fighting for friendly glory around these turns. The Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli is no different and hosts multiple such events when no other official races are taking place.

However, the Misano circuit now has a new cutting-edge technology which offers those who rent track time a more precise way to determine their costs, while being transparent and easy to use. While the management of other circuits would not care how much time you actually use the track, the guys running the Misano circuit do.

Reading track entry and exit times

In order to provide riders and drivers with more accurate pricing, the management of the Misano World Circuit has worked closely with financial group Financo and one of the subsidiary companies, Group Colacem, Italy’s third-largest cement producer and distributor.

The system comprises a complex array of sensors which can read the track entry and exist times for each vehicle, with the result being a most accurate pricing basis for occasional racers. Even more, this system allows racers to plan their outings better, with a better perspective of the financial effort such moves involve.

So far, the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli is the only track in Italy with such a system, but since it provides such a fair pricing solution, we can definitely hope to see more tracks picking up the idea and implementing it.

More technological upgrades to come

Built in 1969, the Misano circuit has been under private management ever since, with the first sporting activities taking place three years after its completion. 1993 saw the track lengthened, with more expansion of the trackside facilities following in 1996-1998. The track was renovated massively in 2005, while 2006 brought a new level of safety for world-class sporting events.

2008 and 2011 have also been key moments in the history of the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli. Misano became the second circuit in the world to be completely covered by Wi-Fi internet access, after the Motegi track in Japan. This allowed for modern timing and data management solutions which raised the bar in the racing world. Now, the racing facilities in Misano include a top notch medical center and are also equipped with massive solar panels for producing energy with zero emissions.

The Bike Expo in Verona,Italy, 23-25 January, 2015 will bring news on the MotoGP and World Superbike rounds, the dates when the track is available for rental and more.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Re: Interesting idea @ Misano - pay for track time, not track days

I don't really get why a track day organization would want to do it this way...

I'd vote against it even as a rider because I'm a fan of my late day nearly empty sessions subsidized by the rich folk, spoiled/lazy, or early crashers who are already packed up by 2:00 (LOL)

I don't get why the track or track day org would do this:
    Current set up 100 riders at 100 bucks a head
    OR like this 100 riders at ~75 bucks a head (averaging riding 3/4s of the day.
    So unless the "hourly" rate would be higher, which would then make less sense for the rider, whats the point?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

This would probably make more sense for racer practice (transponders) than TDs.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I don't get why the track or track day org would do this:
    They won't. Unless, they are forced to, and have no choice in the matter. If track time were to become a commodity, then this is the way the market would head. Providers will then likely move up the chain to more value added services such as coaching and private events.

Me personally, if I am just paying for track time, and nothing more (no coaching, no insurance, no weather guarantees, no hedging or pooling of any kind), I'd much rather go direct to provider than pay a sub-contractor. But in today's world, we can't, since not all race tracks deal directly with riders. So the track day org is a necessary wholesaler/distributor.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 12-09-14 at 10:06 AM.

Doesn't the Nurburgring charge by the lap? Apples to oranges though..