Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The State of AMA / DMG

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

The State of AMA / DMG

This article: http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=37389 got me thinking.

I was curious if a13x could chime in now that we're a half-season or so in. I'm still firm on my opinion at the start of the year, I really could care less if I miss any AMA racing at all. WSBK and MotoGP are more than enough entertainment, and far better racing.

I wish the AMA would get their sh*t together, it's like a freaking train wreck.

LOVE this guy:

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Re: The State of AMA / DMG

the shirts funny....... but i'm still on the fence about dmg. if you caught mid-ohio this weekend, it was some great racing. i think the racing has improved, but the bending of the rules on occasion, *cough* buell *cough*, pisses me off.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Growing pains. I like the spec stuff and how it isn't a Maladin/Spies battle every race.

Hopefully they (DMG) are not afraid to make changes to fix the stupid stuff instead of stubbornly thinking it will work in time.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Seems like they need at least the following to fix anything...

New, very specific, fair, and enforceable rule book.

Complete change of personnel, specifically their "race officials"

Bring back Kevin Cameron to run the show.

CCS/LRRS #83

It's a shame that the "behind the scenes" stuff sucks so bad, because the on track racing has been awesome. Look at this weekend's superbike races, for example. When was the last time we saw that many bikes with a shot at a win? (that's all I'll say for those who haven't seen them yet).

Unfortunately, it's overshadowed by the rules interpretations and the goings on in the paddock, and it's not only affecting the fans perceptions, but the riders' outlook on the series and their future participation

Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet View Post
    It's a shame that the "behind the scenes" stuff sucks so bad, because the on track racing has been awesome. Look at this weekend's superbike races, for example. When was the last time we saw that many bikes with a shot at a win? (that's all I'll say for those who haven't seen them yet).

Unfortunately, it's overshadowed by the rules interpretations and the goings on in the paddock, and it's not only affecting the fans perceptions, but the riders' outlook on the series and their future participation
    Or we could just watch Moto Gp and WSB.

That Moto GP race with the top 4 in the series right at the front was awersome!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

That Moto GP race with ... was awersome!
    Ear Muffs!...all you gotta say is ear muffs you semi spoiling fucker :

fortunately i saw the race and agree...sweetness but AMA this week was a pleasant surprise of good racing. Im willing to give it some time and see how they do.

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I watch all of them. WSBK is definitely my favorite in the past couple years, but I just want to see good racing, and on track, AMA has provided that this year. Just like last year, MotoGP pretty much bored me to sleep. They just keep doing dumb shit that overshadows the actual contest

Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281

Must have been taken before Hayes signed it...

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

The other thing they need to ditch is the rolling start and safety car/bike. WTF were they thinking.

Paul_E_D

reposting bitch-ass (me)

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

I'm going to keep this short cause I could type a novel.

- The racing on track has been awesome all year
    - The new motorcycle rules are great. Much more competitive across the board in both classes and more guys able to challenge. Also easier/cheaper for privateers to build a decent bike. Big plus
    - Some of the 'new things' have bombed totally. Rolling start is gone for next year (that's the scuttlebutt). Ditto for the Pace Car.
    - They were testing pace bike Thursday at Mid-Ohio. Will def be better than car. We'll see how that goes...
    - Been some real undiplomatic decisions made by the officials and handled with a very heavy hand. Bad for public relations and has caused more drama and backlash than was needed

That's my thoughts in a nutshell.

Boston --> San Diego

Ummm, "growing pains"? How long has AMA roadracing been around?

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher Bergs View Post
    Ummm, "growing pains"? How long has AMA roadracing been around?
    AMA Pro Racing is being run and managed by a completely new group of people for 2009. So to answer your questions: Less than one year in it's current form.

Boston --> San Diego

Nice the hear they are ditching the rolling start and the pace car. Made for some scary moments that werent necessary.

James

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Nice the hear they are ditching the rolling start and the pace car. Made for some scary moments that werent necessary.
    +1

Haven't heard official word on the rolling start but that's the gossip in the paddock. I gave the rolling start a fair chance at the beginning of the year but after watching 15 races and 15 rolling starts from Pit Wall I'll tell ya, it's pretty anti-climatic. Plus tons of riders 'in the pack' during the rolling start get screwed. It's not at all fair.

Boston --> San Diego

I'm torn on the bike rules, sure it's easier for a privateer to build a bike if they're closer to stock form, but Superbikes should still be Superbikes, have a separate class for privateers (superstock or whatever) and disallow factory teams and riders.

They have no problems in BSB getting proper equipment and an even playing field.

All that said though, I'm still hoping it's going in the right direction, but boy oh boy have the crowds disappeared. DMG keeps f*cking it up, and there will be NO AMA anymore.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    but boy oh boy have the crowds disappeared.
    But TV ratings are apparently WAY up? Enough so that they got same day coverage.

Alex comment?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    But TV ratings are apparently WAY up? Enough so that they got same day coverage.

Alex comment?
    Maybe more people are giving it a chance that would before because DMG made a ton of changes?

The racing itself seems a lot better. Its not a one pony show anymore which is never a bad thing.

James

I'm torn on the bike rules, sure it's easier for a privateer to build a bike if they're closer to stock form, but Superbikes should still be Superbikes, have a separate class for privateers (superstock or whatever) and disallow factory teams and riders.
    If they did that, there wouldn't be a "Superbike" class. There would only be about 10 entries.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

DMG keeps f*cking it up, and there will be NO AMA anymore.
    Isn't that exactly what Roger wants.. his revenge for being booted out all those years ago.

-John

"It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast,.. than to ride a fast bike slow."

07 Husky SM510R

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Its not a one pony show anymore...
    I'm not sure I completely agree with your statement. Sure, the racing for second place is competitive. But the championship is a different story. In Superbikes, Mladin has a 126 point lead with only 3 rounds (6 races) to go. He's won 10 of the 14 races that have taken place so far. Sure, he's tripped up *slightly* since the changeover to the K9. But if what he's doing right now isn't total domination of the Superbike class, I don't know what is.

On the other hand, the Sportbike class is in a situation similar to that of WSBK right now, with two riders really dominating the rest of the field. Cardenas and Eslick are only seperated by 10 points, and have combined for 11 of 14 wins, with Cardenas taking the edge 6-5 (for now). But Hacker is back in third by 44 points, with no wins. This series looks like it will come down to the wire between a GSX-R and a Buell. Figures that the category that has caused the most controversy, may turn out to be the most competitive and exciting one.

Last edited by KawiSmurf; 07-21-09 at 12:58 PM.

They have no problems in BSB getting proper equipment and an even playing field.

All that said though, I'm still hoping it's going in the right direction, but boy oh boy have the crowds disappeared. DMG keeps f*cking it up, and there will be NO AMA anymore.
    Scott no offense to you but I'm REALLY tired of hearing this. Let's break this down

Point 1 - No more 'real' Superbikes
    ------------------
    This is weak. Yes the 2009 AMA Superbikes are slightly less trick than last year's 2008 AMA Superbikes but we are pulling the same laptimes (if not better) than we were last year. They are going just as fast around the track and top speed and too boot they are way more attainable for more good riders to build. Examples: Mike Laverty finishing 2nd at Road America, running as high as 5th at Mid-Ohio, Taylor Knapp's 6th place finish at Sear's and Dave Anthony finishing P3 after Sunday warmup at Mid-Ohio. I've been up close to 2006-2008 AMA Superbikes and 2009 AMA Superbikes and you can't tell much difference. Sure some super engineer nerd might but 99% of the fans can't tell the difference and as I already pointed out, the on track laps are the same and more guys are able to do it. I had a bunch of fans at Mid-Ohio think the overflow bottle on Yates' radiator was actually a water bottle for him to take drinks out of while racing. Point proven.

Point 2 - Why don't we run BSB/WSB rules
    ---------------------
    This is so easy to explain and yet it keeps coming up. Roadracing in the US doesn't have the economic support to make this viable. Roadracing in Euro is HUGE, big companies are behind it, millions of fans, mainstream exposure, the works. Not the case in the USA. World Superbikes are very trick with all types of fancy shit on them. They cost at least 5x's as much as a USA 'factory' bike. If we had WSBK rules in the USA it would only gap out the field that much more, not make it better.

Point 3 - Attendance is down cause of DMG
    ------------------------
    Yes and no. While I'm sure XYZ amount of people aren't at the track because they hate the bullshit going on the majority of people aren't coming out due to the economy. Why can I say this with certainty? Because the numbers back it up. Across the board you are seeing sales down in dealerships (35% nationwide) and mainstream sports. These numbers correlate with attendance drops at the AMA Pro Racing level.

To summarize

- 2009 AMA Superbikes are just as fast on-track as 2008 Superbikes and more people can afford them
    - WSBK rules will not work in the USA
    - The economy plays are far larger part in the drop in attendance than the rules do

Last edited by a13x; 07-21-09 at 11:44 AM.
    Boston --> San Diego

alex makes the best points here

while i do agree with you smurf, mladin is dominating the points, but in the end the racing is still better than last year. you can't deny that. would you prefer they went back to the old format and let him dominate with those rules? then he would dominate in the points and on the track. lets face it, he is a great racer.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast