Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rookie Race Weekend Report

Rookie Race Weekend Report

Left Thursday evening to head up to the track to take Penguin School on Friday.

What a blast! I had a great day of riding out there. Nothing spectacular for lap times but overall a great learning experience. Here are a few shots of me out there playing with a couple of the instructors.

After the day was done I ran up front and got my license and registered for racing the next two days. Ran back pushed the bike through tech and I was good to go.

Saturday...
    The day started off great. Had my paper license in hand and my numbers on the bike. Went out for first practice and felt pretty good out there. Not really pushing it all that much just trying to get some time on track and get back into shape.

Came back in made a few adjustments to the bike and waited for next practice.

Went out for second practice. Bike was feeling phenomenal. I did a new personal best lap time of a 23.1. Knocked 1.5 seconds of my previous best. Needless to say I feel Im improving quiet well. The problem came after that lap. I was running good through 1, 1a, 2 and 3. I came up the crest of 4, spun the tire up and highsided it. Ouch! Kates told me it was a novice mistake. I input the bars too late up the hill and the bike decided to toss me for that. It was a little more reassuring to have him tell me he used to do the same thing. A quick trip to the medical building and a hard lesson learned.

No photos of when the bike got brought back but heres after Kates got his hands on it.

Only big mark I got from the crash. My helmet did its job perfectly.

I also banged up my shoulder pretty good. I think it was my first point of impact. Its really sore still. and I must have hyper extended my thumb either coming off the bike or rolling across the ground.

If anyone has any shots or saw this in the second practice Id like to know how it looked. The EMTs up on the hill was amazed I got up and was clear headed. They asked me where I was and I said NHMS, they said good. Then they asked me what I had done and I told them I highsided off 4 and the response was a Oh Yeah. Apparently it was pretty spectacular.

At this point I had nothing for the rookie race. My bike is in a million pieces and my helmet is done. Jay Holland, hessogood was awesome to let me take his motard out for it and John Van Lenten #69 who gave me his spare helmet to use. What a damn blast. I need a motard now.

Pete spent the rest of the day getting the bike back into race shape. Green tank and all.

He had it back together so I could have entered my second race Saturday but I couldnt hang onto the bars.

Sunday.
    I went out for first practice. Bike felt all wrong. It had no drive off the corners and Im sure a bunch of what was wrong was in my head. My lap times were way off. I came back in and debated the rest of my day.

I noticed that we had the bike on the wrong map so I switched that and went back on for second practice. Much better drive off the corners and I felt a bit better about riding. I still wasnt really close to the lap times I posted Saturday but I was getting back up to speed. When I came back I decided that I would at least do my first race.

Race #1
    I got a horrible start. A few guys passed me. Going into one was fun. Nice and clean and some good racing. I was dicing it up with a guy on a Ducati # 973 for a few laps. I wish I know where he pitted because it was some fun racing.

Its too bad he crashed a few laps later with someone else exiting turn 10. on the plus side he seemed ok and it was another spot for me. If anyone knows who he is or if he reads these boards let him know I had a good time with him.

I spent a lot of the race by myself.

I placed 19th overall which was mid-pack and 10th in my wave. Not bad but I know I could do better. I was running 3 seconds off the lap times I was doing the day before.

I really need to thank Kates for all the work he did for me even before I crashed. Fixing my bike was just above and beyond what I expected of anyone. He definitely pulled some strings to get me a tank that didnt have a gaping hole in it so I could get back out.

I need to thank Jay for letting me take his bike out for the rookie race. Dude you made the race on day two an option for me.

I also really need to thank John. Spare helmet for the rookie race and he had his wife bring up his spare tank for me to put on my bike. I owe you.

I want to thank Nazo for talking me into getting back out there day two.
    I also want to thank everyone that came over to see how I was doing after the crash.

Overall it was a good weekend. Obviously I could have done without the crash but it was a learning experience. I know what not to do on turn 4.

Things to work on for next weekend. I need to get my confidence back a bit. I know what Im capable of and I need to get back to that state. I would like to knock some more time off my lap times before the end of the season. Next time up there I have four days on track. My goal is a 20 or a 19. Its definitely possible. I just need my shoulder the heal up which it should be by then and then the right hand turns wont be so painful.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by union; 09-01-08 at 12:01 PM.
    James

Re: Rookie Race Weekend Report

Hey man, everyone crashes, just look at it like you got it out of the way early. But glad you made it back out there, it gets better.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

I thought it was odd seeing you up there thise weekend but I figure I had been out of the game for so long that you were a new player.

Sorry to hear about the highside too... I didn't even know your number.

Nice seeing you there man! It is where you belong! When you have a chance stop by 1a with a couple gallons of gas! You Mooch!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Dam James, glad your ok man good luck on your next race.

Mike

05 636
    Green Machine

07 Husky sm510

Hey man, nice putting faces to names. You did spin up the rear and it just stepped out. Pretty hard hit, when I got to you, you were already kneeling. After making sure you were at least responsive I looked over at the bike 10 ft away with the gauges all lit up and an fist size gash in your tank pouring race fuel onto the bike and excused myself to cut the power

The EMT and other corner worker grabbed you at that point so I could get hte bike upright to stop the fuel, you looked a little bit wobbly on the short walk back to the ambulance but it was nice to see you later on that day up and ok with just the bruises.

The side piece to your helmet ended up down in the scales garage, it will probably be there next race weekend if you want it, the clips werent broken so I tossed it in "lost and found". Glad you were alright, 4 never really gives an easy off, except for the older guy that lowsided his motard...

-Lou

Add me on LinkedIN
    Buying or selling a car? Free listings - FeaturedCars.com

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)
    88 YSR50 (Street Hilarity)

as $ said. your first crash is outta the way ...congrats on getting the license, getting through the first weekend. hell of a pit-crew you've got

Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)

glad your OK, we met in line for registration Fri nite. I think that I shared my sat am crash story just prior to my rookie race in May. glad to hear you at least got that in.

Quote Originally Posted by Loun View Post
    Hey man, nice putting faces to names. You did spin up the rear and it just stepped out. Pretty hard hit, when I got to you, you were already kneeling. After making sure you were at least responsive I looked over at the bike 10 ft away with the gauges all lit up and an fist size gash in your tank pouring race fuel onto the bike and excused myself to cut the power

The EMT and other corner worker grabbed you at that point so I could get hte bike upright to stop the fuel, you looked a little bit wobbly on the short walk back to the ambulance but it was nice to see you later on that day up and ok with just the bruises.

The side piece to your helmet ended up down in the scales garage, it will probably be there next race weekend if you want it, the clips werent broken so I tossed it in "lost and found". Glad you were alright, 4 never really gives an easy off, except for the older guy that lowsided his motard...

-Lou
    Thanks for running out there. Wish I could say I remember your face but needless to say I was a bit dazed at the moment. I dont think Ill be needing the clip to the side of my helmet. Its done.

I know I popped up pretty good and I remember looking back at my bike to see the gas pouring out of it. Luckily it didnt catch fire. I had the tank sliders on it but I guess they didnt work that time. The hole was right below where they mount.

Come by garage 19 next race weekend and say hello. Ill be there. Hopefully this time meeting under better circumstances.

James

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Highside hill!

This section has sooooo many similar stories. This section will really teach you about throttle control and exiting T3. I've been bit a good # of times thru here and it stills continues to teach me a lesson.

Glad you are all right. You got yourself some nice bruising there. If you have any symptoms get that checked out immediately. Heat trauma =no joke.

+ Welcome to the big time. Glad you had fun. Will see you next time.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    John Van Lenten #69 who gave me his spare helmet to use. . . . I also really need to thank John. Spare helmet for the rookie race and he had his wife bring up his spare tank for me to put on my bike. I owe you.
    James~
    No problem bro, glad we could help out. We've all been there; LRRS is one big family. Just glad it was not too serious and you were able to make it back out there after your get off. Maybe its just me, but I've always felt it key to get back on and ride after a get off so the crash doesn't sit an fester and play mind games with your head.

John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2004
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

123s damn sweet man. I had rearend of alex 600rr walk out on me exiting 3. I was like shiiit

Damn dude, I had no idea you even crashed that beautiful R6. Glad you're alright, and glad the bike is put back together.

Jesus James... nasty place to crash. Glad you're alright. Keep watch on that head of yours, looks like you banged it pretty good.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

I crashed T4. It was one of those unexpected wipe-outs you don't want to have. I'd rather would have had a "aaaaah i am going to crash, booom!" than "what a fuck happened!" I am seeing my bike sliding pass me on sideways from the visor. and rolling up the hill was about 4-5 hits of the ground...
    Glad you are good- i had to go home on that June day- i was done.... my knee still hurts though....

Quote Originally Posted by irzar6 View Post
    I crashed T4. It was one of those unexpected wipe-outs you don't want to have. I'd rather would have had a "aaaaah i am going to crash, booom!" than "what a fuck happened!" I am seeing my bike sliding pass me on sideways from the visor. and rolling up the hill was about 4-5 hits of the ground...
    Glad you are good- i had to go home on that June day- i was done.... my knee still hurts though....
    do a track walk with Jamie at a TTD, he has a line that straightens your bike pretty much out before the hill which reduces hi side incidents.