Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Suspension Question

Suspension Question

I know the real answer to this question is to do a suspension class, but in the meantime until I do, I was hoping for a little advice from the experts. I tweaked my bike a little and got my set up to where it felt good for me on the track. Then I had a few guys I know take a look and give some feedback. What amazes me is that all three said the same thing. It was pretty much "close, but a little soft in the rear". Apparently there is an ideal set up for damping and rebound at loudon and some can tell by feel (jumping on the foot peg) and tire wear. I set the damping two clicks harder in the rear and had them re-evaluate. I was then told it was good. Tire wear is apparently good as well.

These guys are my size and weight, only they are much better riders. By this I mean they are active racers where I only do a few track days a year. Since I am not as fast, would it be wise for me to soften the damping evenly on both the front and the rear so the suspension will compress more easily when I round the turns? I am thinking one or two clicks. As I progress I am realizing that the compression of the suspension while you flick the bike into the turn is what helps you arc it in. If I am slower then I am putting less force on the suspension in the turns and therefore not compressing it as much right? So a softer set up might be beneficial to help me sink the bike into the turn more easily. I am guessing that this is the reason why rookies tend to run a slightly softer set up than seasoned riders. Any thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Suspension Question

What do you change the compression or rebound? (I assume compression) Why not just add some preload?

I am in no way a suspension guy and I am sure someone more experienced will chime it. and I am just learning but I learned ALOT yesterday.

I think you are on the right track with the softer settings for slower riders. But what do I know.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

By damping I mean compression. I think they are the same thing but since I am not an expert either then who knows. I was always under the impression that preload was a given adjustment based on your weight. You adjust for a certain amount of sag that occurs when you sit on the bike and leave it. Now that you mention it though, less preload would help the bike sit deeper in the suspension through the turns.

The way I understand it there is compression Damping AND rebound damping

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

I'm following this one pretty closely. Between Doc getting such an improvement out of having his tweaked, and people asking about mine lately, a suspension go-over may be in the cards for me as well.

You're right Doc. Damping refers to the slowing effect the valving has on the action of the suspension. It could be applied to compression or rebound. I know this from mountain biking as well as snowmobiling. Sorry, my mind is mush. I am still at work. Major software crash is keeping us all here when I should have been home by 5.

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    I'm following this one pretty closely. Between Doc getting such an improvement out of having his tweaked, and people asking about mine lately, a suspension go-over may be in the cards for me as well.
    Do it brother! I waited FAR too long!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Yeah, I really should - especially now that I'm finally starting to turn some half decent times and am getting new shoes this weekend. Anyone know if PK sets them up @ the track and what he charges?

He will do some adjustments, I don't think it is much, might even be free. Or maybe some of the EX guys have some ideas.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X