Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Thursday's crash data from the "flight data recorder" aka the "black box" aka the gps

Thursday's crash data from the "flight data recorder" aka the "black box" aka the gps

I had my gps strapped to the tail logging at 5Hz when I lost the brakes and ran into the tire wall outside of T6.

First, here's that session's data displayed in Google Earth.

Now, here's a graph of my speed for the last lap and a half:

So, the Y axis shows speed in MPH while the X axis is time. (The label is incorrect, it looks like the units are seconds).

So the first peak on the left is my brake point for T1, the next peak is the brake point for T3 while the next one is for the bowl. The following peaks are T9 and T11, followed by another run down the front stretch.

Comparing the third peak, my last successful pass through the bowl with the last peak, my not so successful rapid stop out the bowl, I notice a few interesting details.

That little spike that appears after the last peak is probably from the tail accelerating past the nose as the bike flips over having hit the tires.

The slope of the last peak isn't as steep as from the previous pass, indicating that some brake power was available, but not as much as usual. This agrees with the marks on the one recovered pad, that seems to indicate the pad(s) slid out about 75% of the way, but still provided some reduced stopping power.

The slope of the last peak does steepen at about 75 MPH, presumably due to slowing down going through the gravel trap. Finally, things come to an abrupt stop at about 65 MPH.

This is scary shit...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Re: Thursday's crash data from the "flight data recorder" aka the "black box" aka the

Wait, you're doing 75 in the bowl? Or am I being an idiot. I was curious my speed through there...

VERY glad you are OK buddy. I was thrilled to see you Monday (although you probably figured that out when I jumped through your truck window for a hug)

Re: Thursday's crash data from the "flight data recorder" aka the "black box" aka the

I'm surprised the gravel didn't slow you down more, is that thing so light it skips across the top like a Jesus lizard?

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Definitely not as steep a slope on your decel into the bowl on your fateful lap!

Good to see that there was at least some decelertaion in there before you hit the wall. Do you think that some of that deceleration could be from where the hill transitions from a down hill to an uphill more than limited braking from what little your pad was contacting the rotor, or does the deceleration occur at the "normal" point where you would expect it to?

It's been said many times but, glad we can sit here and disect/discuss this incident rather than the alternative. See you at the track sometime soon!

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Wait, you're doing 75 in the bowl? Or am I being an idiot. I was curious my speed through there...
    Well, I didn't successfully do 75 mph in the bowl... that was the speed at which I believe I transitioned from the pavement to the gravel. If you look at the third peak from the left, that's my normal speeds through that section. I peak at above 80 mph after coming out of T4, and slow down to around 40 mph before driving out of T6.

I suspect you do more than 40 mph going around the bowl. Remind me next time we're at the track and I'll hook you up with a black box.

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    VERY glad you are OK buddy. I was thrilled to see you Monday (although you probably figured that out when I jumped through your truck window for a hug)
    Oh, I felt that hug! I had just encountered a tire wall at 65 mph a few days prior, so my body was (and still is!) a bit sore! It was truly heartwarming seeing all the support and well wishes I got from the racing and track day community.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    I'm surprised the gravel didn't slow you down more, is that thing so light it skips across the top like a Jesus lizard?
    Actually, I think that might be partially why I didn't slow down much, the bike probably didn't sink much due to both being light and skimming over the gravel at 75 mph!

I don't remember how I reacted, but I suspect I probably got off the brakes as I transitioned off the pavement into the gravel. If that is indeed the case, the gravel itself slowed me down more than the partial brakes I had on the pavement.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

Ambition Outweighs Talent strgt's Avatar

Wow, thats a crazy situation. Did you ride the bike to the wall, or did you fall off before?

www.streetandcomp.com
    LRRS/CCS/WERA Am. #290
    NESBA Adv. #290

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Definitely not as steep a slope on your decel into the bowl on your fateful lap!

Good to see that there was at least some decelertaion in there before you hit the wall. Do you think that some of that deceleration could be from where the hill transitions from a down hill to an uphill more than limited braking from what little your pad was contacting the rotor, or does the deceleration occur at the "normal" point where you would expect it to?

It's been said many times but, glad we can sit here and disect/discuss this incident rather than the alternative. See you at the track sometime soon!

Joel
    That's a good observation, the hill transition could be the reason the slope steepens and I had more deceleration. I'll have too look deeper into the data to try to confirm this.

You were on the scene picking up the pieces right? What can you tell me about the crash scene? Do the marks in the gravel and were the bike was found agree with the track shown in my Google earth image? Do the marks in the gravel show if I stayed upright all the way to the tires or did the bike dig in and flip prior to hitting the tires?

Anyways, thanks again Joel for helping take care of things after the crash. It's very much appreciated!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

Quote Originally Posted by strgt View Post
    Wow, thats a crazy situation. Did you ride the bike to the wall, or did you fall off before?
    Good question! I don't remember. Actually, I don't remember anything about that whole session...

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

I've seen pictures of the gravel trap and barriers right after your crash. How can you expect me to believe an RS125 with a moderate fuel load crashed there without leaving parts everywhere, or scarring the barrier?

You can't, it's crazy.

Obviously this is an inside job by NHMS!

This is some awesome intel Roland. I gotta have you do some datalogging for me.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

OWE! That's all I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I've seen pictures of the gravel trap and barriers right after your crash. How can you expect me to believe an RS125 with a moderate fuel load crashed there without leaving parts everywhere, or scarring the barrier?

You can't, it's crazy.

Obviously this is an inside job by NHMS!

Yeah, I'm starting to believe that brakes had nothing to do with it. I'm think I got taken out by a *SAM missile.

*SAM: SurfAce-to-Motorcycle

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    This is some awesome intel Roland. I gotta have you do some datalogging for me.
    Come and find me next time we're at the track and I'll see what I can do.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    OWE! That's all I have to say.
    I'm VERY lucky that I'm not still in the hospital or worse... I hadn't realized how fast I was still going on impact until I saw the data.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

have you figured out why the brakes failed?

was it a line and loss of fluid or was it a mechanical faliure of the actual brake?

The pin holding the pads in was missing. I'm not sure if it broke or fell out due to me unknowingly messing up last time I changed the pads towards the end of last season. The one big mistake I made was to not check them that morning before I went out on the track.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I want to use the black box

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    You were on the scene picking up the pieces right? What can you tell me about the crash scene? Do the marks in the gravel and were the bike was found agree with the track shown in my Google earth image? Do the marks in the gravel show if I stayed upright all the way to the tires or did the bike dig in and flip prior to hitting the tires?
    As far as the scene goes, I really didn't see all that much of how the gravel was etc. I was outside the fence looking through to where the ambulance crew, Scott James Racer #932, Tom Blanchette and the wrecker guy were. They were just about done clearing the scene when we got there so we just turned around and headed in to the the IMC to check on you.

Your Google map however does indicate an accurate location of the impact. If I remember correctly the impact zone was roughly 10-20 feet, maybe slightly further, to the right (when viewed from the track surface) of where the walkway up to the turn 6 bleachers meets up with the wall as it reaches the bottom of the bleachers. Hoefully that is clearer to you then it sounded to me after writing it.

Joel

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

I am mixed with feelings of "holy crap so glad you are alive" as well as "that is some of the coolest data logging I have ever seen" :-p

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    I want to use the black box
    Come and find me next time and I'll see what I can do...

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    As far as the scene goes, I really didn't see all that much of how the gravel was etc. I was outside the fence looking through to where the ambulance crew, Scott James Racer #932, Tom Blanchette and the wrecker guy were. They were just about done clearing the scene when we got there so we just turned around and headed in to the the IMC to check on you.

Your Google map however does indicate an accurate location of the impact. If I remember correctly the impact zone was roughly 10-20 feet, maybe slightly further, to the right (when viewed from the track surface) of where the walkway up to the turn 6 bleachers meets up with the wall as it reaches the bottom of the bleachers. Hoefully that is clearer to you then it sounded to me after writing it.

Joel
    Makes sense to me! Thanks!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    I am mixed with feelings of "holy crap so glad you are alive" as well as "that is some of the coolest data logging I have ever seen" :-p
    I kind of feel the same way, the more I look at the data and realize how fast I was still going, the more I'm amazed at how little damage the bike and I suffered!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

Thats crazy, glad you're ok man.

I'm kind of a data nerd myself, and its fascinating to see... but make sure you don't over analyze a freak accident. It doesn't seem like it bothers you much, but I know some people think about crashes and the lessons to be learned so much that they struggle to get their "fast" back after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Thats crazy, glad you're ok man.

I'm kind of a data nerd myself, and its fascinating to see... but make sure you don't over analyze a freak accident. It doesn't seem like it bothers you much, but I know some people think about crashes and the lessons to be learned so much that they struggle to get their "fast" back after the fact.
    Don't worry, I'm just digging into the data to make up for not remembering a thing. I'm just sharing my findings so that all other geeks like you can enjoy them as well. About getting my "fast" back, I don't think I ever had it, but so I don't gain too much "slow", I did make sure to get back out there on Monday to face T6 again and start preparing for round 2.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763