Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Xr650r rebirth

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Xr650r rebirth

So my Xr has sat for the past 4 years... doing nothing and before that a while too.
    I"m on 2 weeks paternity leave and the kid is in day care
    that leaves me 2 weeks to catch up on a lot of stuff. One of which is tearing into this puppy

my question first..... then a general update

I took of the steering stem to re grease the bearings ( XR650r was notorious for no to little grease) and no joke very little grease but. Hooray!
    The bearing were happy and no pitting.
    bottomg bearing cleaned and regrease with Belray waterproof grease.

But the top bearing...... I already hit it with brake cleaner. OK to regrease it best I can? or should I tear it off and buy a new bearing regrease properly?

Eitehr way in last 5 days Ive pulled the tanke and cleaned it of the 4 yo gas. Need to rebuild the petcock

Tore off the swingarm and will repalce bearings. It was bad. the pivot collars were really notched.
    There was concern that swingarm was bad and seized but it cam off easily enough. Just clean and relube everything..

I'll need new tires too.

Cleaned up the brakes, new fluid and new rotors front and rear. Had to drill out a screw on the reservoir cap as it had siezed. Put a new fancy red XRs only brake cap

Cleaned the Carb with new pretty hoses.

I ordered new thermostat and rad cap as well as new silicone hoses. I'll get into that in 2 days

I'm going to put new fresh fork fluid in there... its at least 12 year old..Next year Maybe i'll update the internals.....maybe

Did notice that the front tire didn't spin very freely .. it gave me 1.5 rotation after a spin. Not sure what it is... Thoughts??

After the steering stem and putting it back together as well as some minor electrical connections and new speedo.

Oh yeah.. sone how i' ve misplaced the dirt rims.. How I did that IDK and the skid plate. Its on Sumo rims right now. ughh 650 dirt rims are few and far between. I might have to go aftermarket and the spoke angle of the XR makes it pricey i've read. it need to re drilled properly.

The WR is up and running as well.. new spark plug today and new tires soon....... Had someone do the carb... I flushed the rad on that too.

It "should " run

Oh yeah also have to put a new clutch bushing as that is also a weak spot in the XR they tend to sieze....lol

This paternity leave is awesome

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: Xr650r rebirth

sweet! are there pics but not loading for me?

on the steering bearing, yeah, clean it, re-grease, bolt back up ... unless it's a weird design?

on the wheel rotation, did you check the bearings yet? spread the brake pads to rule out drag there?

reminds me i need to kick my winter refresh into high gear! temps are going to be nutty this week.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Xr650r  rebirth-20210304_193851-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Front wheel bearings are good. I just changed the fork oil. So after I bolt that up I'll check wheel spin. Could be fork misaligned

Tried getting the swingarm bearings no go. So off to the local mower shop so they can press them out. Xr650r  rebirth-20210308_205753-jpgXr650r  rebirth-20210308_205753-jpg

hmmmm......

on the swingarm bearings, how did you try to remove? if you haven't tried yet, a homemade press made of threaded rod, washers and sockets works awesome for swingarm and linkage.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    on the swingarm bearings, how did you try to remove? if you haven't tried yet, a homemade press made of threaded rod, washers and sockets works awesome for swingarm and linkage.
    Tried a vice , it isnt wide enough for the hardware etc Socket that is the receiver, 34 mm? for the bearing to be pushed out is too wide to fit into the slot to recieve so it restricts the bearing being pushed out. I tried a C clamp but no go as it simply angled during the pressure and wouldnt push straight.

Kroil, and MAP gas didnt work. I might try the threaded rod again today before taking it to the shop.
    Might.

hmmmm......

Tried it again with a long bolt it moved....!! but then the bolt wasnt long enought to have a socket wide enough to received the bearing.
    Had to go with a carriage bolt and well it was long enough but the threads continued to strip after enough pressure.
    So off to a pressing!!

Pulling the radiator off tonight. clean it with Distilled anbd vinegar then mag allunimum cleaner, straighten the fins on it, Slap some silicone hoese and a new t-stat.
    hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to install the swingarm bearings

hmmmm......