Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

07 ZX6R Valve ticking sound potentially? Advice?

07 ZX6R Valve ticking sound potentially? Advice?

So ladies....

I have an 07 zx6r that I bought used. Its in decent shape (but not perfect, beacuse we all know how people treat these bikes). When I start the bike up cold, It sounds like that valves are really loud and ticking a bit. Now I am a very sensitive guy to small changes in the bike. Once the bike runs for 10 mins down the road, the sound completly goes away and it sounds real smooth.

I had the same exact bike (my freinds) for a few days a little while ago. His bike had 4k miles and mine had like 7k. I started them both up, yet his sounded smooth even when starting cold.

Now that only crazy thing I can think of is this.....I recently did an oil change and used a car filter and not a bike filter. I bought a fram tough gaurd filter. The only thing I can think of is that a bike filter is meant for more pressure due to higher RPM's and the car filter poped the pressure seal inside which allows the oil to drain all the way into the oil pan when it sits a long time. So when you start fresh it takes a while to lube the heads. Is this totally off in left feild?

Is this something thats fairly normal? Am I just being too sensitive. I mean the bike only has 7k miles. Can the valves really be bad already?

Or does that sound like a normal problem for an 07 zx6r?

Thanks for the advice in advance...
    Brett

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 07 ZX6R Valve ticking sound potentially? Advice?

To answer your first question, yes the valves could be loose and in need of adjustment. It may be worth getting checked.B: The pressure on the oil filter - no, unless the filter is much larger (longer) than the OEM filter. But why would you use a car filter - yes it might be the right diameter and thread size, but if the filter holes are larger and allow more sediment through your engine it will damage it over time. Also if the filter is longer and you filled the engine to recommended capacity then you are probably low on oil which could also explain the ticking. I would double check the oil level to be sure. If it were me I would also put on the right filter. Please tell me you at least used motorcycle oil - the other stuff is cheaper but can cause clutch slippage and make not be set for the higher rpm's.

I use Rottella. I usually buy bike filters at wally world, but when I looked on my phone for filter numbers only the regular fram tough gaurd numbers came up. So I went with it. The filter, if anything, is a touch smaller then the stock one was.

Kawasakis are known for their engine noises. Sounds to me like it's probably normal. Some say this noise is the cam chain tensioner. Kawiforums has a lot of information on this topic.

When valves wear the gap tightens not loosens. That's because when they slam shut, over time it has a "mushrooming" effect combined with the wear in the valve seat the valves sit deeper in the head causing the valve stems to protrude farther which closes the gap between it and the cam lobes.

There are two schools of thought, some guys set them tight, some loose (still within range of manufacture's specs) but generally when you adjust the valves you set them to the wider (or looser) side of the manufacturer's specified tolerance because over time they tighten again...

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

PM Jeff-6R

He has the same bike and had recent valve work done to it because of excessive ticking. I have the same bike but it is an 08. I have 6200 miles and no issues but the bike is treated overly-nice and not overreved.

I think the 2007 engines were prone to mechanical engine issues more then the 2008s....

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

The cam chain tensioner is likely about to adjust. It moves out in small increments and has a ratchet that does not allow it to move back. It allows progressively louder valvetrain noises until it moves out one click on the ratchet, then it gets quiet for a few tousand miles. Don't sweat it. My 9R has been doing the same thing for 92,000 miles.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

It is a: camchain tensioner or B: oil filter needs to be burped. Yes I'm serious. Kawi 600's are known for both.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Does the oil light flicker or come on?

First of all, never buy fram filters again, they're pos. get motorcycle specific good filter- oem, k&n...fill the filter with oil before you put it on, then you don't need to burp it.

If it's a cam chain tensioner ( CCT ) making noise, you can try putting the bike in 6th gear, pull in clutch, roll backwards, let out clutch while rolling. do this a couple times. That should tighten up the automatic CCT that these bikes have.

Last edited by nerijusj; 06-18-11 at 01:10 PM.
    ZX10R
    Ned

Banned

Ned knows his shit. Plus, he's Russian so That carries extra weight also. ;-)

Hey Ned, I had a 2004 zx6 In the shop that I had to burp while it was running even though I pre-filled the filter. Was a bitch.

My 05 ZX6R never needs burping, but my daughter's 01 needs it every time. It's a nasty sound and the oil light will stay on. It sounds like yours is probably the CCT.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Ill see what i can do. Now if it is the cam tensioner why does it get quieter when it warms up and runs for ten mins?

OK never dealt with 'burping' the oil before. Please explain.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    OK never dealt with 'burping' the oil before. Please explain.
    Start bike, hear god awful top end sounds and see oil light come on.

Keep bike running and "quickly) loosen the oil filter until oil filter "burps" and spews oil and a big gulp of air out, retighten oil filter and hear engine go all quiet again.

Top up oil if needed.

When I do a valve adjustment and oil change on any bike, I pour liberal amounts of oil onto the cams after putting assembly lube on the journals and before putting the valve coverbackk on. That way if you get 30 seconds of oil starvation on startup it's not a biggie.

Last edited by Degsy; 06-20-11 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Start bike, hear god awful top end sounds and see oil light come on.

Keep bike running and "quickly) loosen the oil filter until oil filter "burps" and spews oil and a big gulp of air out, retighten oil filter and hear engine go all quiet again.

Top up oil if needed.

When I do a valve adjustment and oil change on any bike, I pour liberal amounts of oil onto the cams after putting assembly lube on the journals and before putting the valve coverbackk on. That way if you get 30 seconds of oil starvation on startup it's not a biggie.
    sweet, thanks. I've never run into that situation.. Now I am prepared when I do.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

So an update for everyone...

I called the dealer and asked about a valve job. They started to explain that the ZX6r has special valves I guess that need oil pressure to auto adjust them. When you have thicker summer oil it takes a few minutes before the oil can auto adjust the valves. He said as long as the "ticking" noise is only on warm up and not when the bike is actually warm and running it is a normal characteristic of these bikes.

Can anyone confirm this?

Banned

I can absolutly confirm that your dealer tech is full of shit.

So what do you think? The bike only has 9k miles. Should I put it in for a valvue adjustment? the bike only does it on start up. Once its warm it sounds fine and runs strong.

The only thing I can complain about is off the line torque. But I think thats just normal for a high redline 600cc

Banned

Camchain tensioner. The valves on that bike are just the same as valves on any supersport 600. At 9k thu could certainly need adjusting depending on how the bike has been ridden. If the noise goes away when the bike warms up it's probably camchain tensioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetlethal100 View Post
    I called the dealer and asked about a valve job. They started to explain that the ZX6r has special valves I guess that need oil pressure to auto adjust them. When you have thicker summer oil it takes a few minutes before the oil can auto adjust the valves. He said as long as the "ticking" noise is only on warm up and not when the bike is actually warm and running it is a normal characteristic of these bikes.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I just did an 07 with the exact problems for a member on this site...valve adjustment and cam chain replacement later...all ticking was gone... seems to me that maybe the dealer is full of shiznit..

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-Ray View Post
    I just did an 07 with the exact problems for a member on this site...valve adjustment and cam chain replacement later...all ticking was gone... seems to me that maybe the dealer is full of shiznit..
    How many miles on that bike Ray? Mine has about 7k....

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post
    How many miles on that bike Ray? Mine has about 7k....
    I believe 12 or 13k

So why would a cam tensioner go bad at 9k miles? arnt they self adjusting? How much do they go for? Im a pretty decent mechanic along with a little info from the net. Im flushing the radiator fluid and doing plugs this weekend. I dont know how much money I want to put in the bike because it seems to be seeping a little oil as well from the heads so well see.

Now when I checked out the kawiforum.com I see a lot of comments about loud ticking noises. Seems to be normal for many of the guys. Is it really worth fixing? The noise wont bug me if I understand what it is and know its not terrible harmful. Ill just be aware of it if it gets worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast