Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

1999 GSXR 600 won't idle without choke - semi-long

Heres the run down.. my friend has a 1999 GSXR 600 that he couldn't get started (aka, just continously trying to crank the thing) and asked me to help.

So I siphoned the gas (been sitting since august) swapped the plugs, gave the carb a bit of a cleaning. Gave it a bit of juice directly to the carb and it would fire, rev up to 5k and then drop right back down and stall - however, this would only happen if we would give it a squirt of gas directly in the carb.

So after becoming a bit frustrated he mentions to me he had been messing with the idle screw last year and basically just turned it randomly. So, knowing it was already messed up I started playing with that and finally got the bike to idle - however, whenever it comes off choke fully it dies almost immediately. I played with the idle for a while and couldn't get it to a spot where it would stay running unless the choke was on atleast a little. Even if I rev it up a bit and then take the choke off I can't keep it alive.

I really don't know much about carbs or this setup - anybody have some ideas - I've explored and just about my reach of what to do next? Half of me thinks the idle screw is just completely out of whack but I can't find anything about how set it initally so I can then tweak it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Have a qualified person service the carbs. They're gummed up.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    Have a qualified person service the carbs. They're gummed up.
    +1

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Ok - I had suggested to him that it might be worthwhile to pull and get a rebuild kit for it, but we were short on time.

Plus I just talked to him and I guess the bastard couldn't help himself, even though I told him not to touch it and he backed the idle screw out to the point it acutally came off the bike. He said he started to pull stuff off and still can't get it... I am ready to tell him he's on his own

Lifer

Looks like he's going to learn a pretty valuable (and possibly expensive) lesson...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...