Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

aprilia help

aprilia help

ok i finally got the priller fullye cleaned from her oil bath, but after doing about 100 miles there are some weird sounds/vibrations.

i have had no luck locating the service manual for this thing and i am worried i might have to go see a dealer. eeewwwwww...

anyways, i cleaned it off with wd-40 and some engine cleaer and finally got the oily gunk off all the rear parts that it got on, then i re-lubed the chain.

now though it feels like there is a weird vibration, i cant tell exactly where its coming from, but i would first guess the wheel bearings may need a re-greasing... its hard to tell... could it be the chain too? i know i used some tough solvents on there, but then i re-lubed it

thats not too big a deal, i can yank the wheel and relube everything, just curious if you guys had anyideas before i randomly pull stuff off there.

the second problem has me a little more worried, i have been running the same oil that went in after i fixed it... the oil the shop had.. its a tractor shop... so its just regulat mobil 10w-40. not semi-synth. i mean to change it but not in too much or a rush til now.

the valves sound like they are starting to chatter. uh oh?!
    on this bike there is a tube on the lower left of the engine, when warm, with the bike upright, the tube is supposed to show just over half full, thats how you check the oil, well when the valve chatter started, that tube suddenly filled up too (above the visible top when it was at about 1/2 way up earlier)... i am concerned the oil isn't circulating. there are no idiot lights showing but the sound and suddenly over full oil level checker have me worried about running the motor for fear of damaging it without proper lubrication.

should i get it to the dealer or you guys have a better idea on how to check it out?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

aprilia help

I don't know 'prillers, but I think you might be imagining the vibration and the valve clatter.

1. What oil bath? Did you have a catastrophic loss of oil or something?

2. Wheel bearings are sealed, so unless you got right at them with a pressure washer and some heavy-duty solvents you didn't wash the grease out.

3. Same for the chain.

More details please?

Degs

aprilia help

yes there was a catastrophic loss of oil two weeks ago... the return line blew off and emptied the whole oil pan while i was doing 80 mph on I95 north... then it got towed and i repaired the line and filled it with regular old 10W-40 cause thats all they had in the shop.

the valve chattering sound is definitely there. and the oil display is definitely full beyond view, when it definitely wasn't that way earlier in the day.

the vibration is still questionable i havent fully figured out where exactly it is coming from. there were some nasty solvents that got aroud my wheels when i was washing it, hence i worry it might have eaten through the bearing seal or something like that to let the water get in and mess with the wheel grease? ami dreaming up some weird impossible stuff?

aprilia help

Originally posted by T-595 Greg
    oh man... it's fucked.

better sell it.
    thats what i was thinking. would your buddy (swansea?) just give me a new sv650s for it?

Banned

aprilia help

OK.

1. Get that oil out of there and replace it with the right stuff. Change the filter also.

2. Get it to the dealer

3. Have it compression-tested

When the oil line blew off on the highway, the first thing you should have done is return it to the dealer and have Aprilia repair it under warranty (and clean it, why should you get dirty cleaning it if it is a manufacturing defect?). That way if any real damage was done Aprilia would have a record.

Who knows what has happened? If the oil really is not circulating you could have a blocked oilway, head gasket leak, oil pump failure. If the crank bearings are internally lubed (holes in the bearings and crank) you could have spun a bearing blocking the crank lube hole. Did the motor dry seize when the oil line blew off? How quickly did you get the motor shut off? Do you have warranty on this bike? Have any other Aprilia's done this same thing that you know of?

When you change the oil, look at it to see if it is burnt (dirty, black looking) or milky. Put a fine strainer under the oil when you drain it to see if there is any metal in the oil.

Fill it to the recommended level, run the bike for 1 minute, then leave it for 30 seconds and check the oil level again. If it needs a little more, put it in. Repeat the procedure and make sure the oil level is staying where it should.

Check the radiator fill cap (with the engine cold). Is there any oil or gasoline in the water (rainbow effect on the surface of the water or milky crud in the water)

Check to see if the motor comes up to temperature way too quickly.

DONT REV IT HIGH UNTIL YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.

If the bike is still under warranty, insist on a new motor. Make it known you are an internet surfer and belong to www.Aprilia-ownsers.org or whatever the Aprilia riders site is.

Degs

aprilia help

no warranty?!
    the factory warranty was only a year long, its long out of that.
    the motor didn't seize or anything. i killed it just as the low pressure light came on and coasted to the side of the road.
    i dont know of anyone else that has had this problem. i got the bike from south shore motorsports, and last year i was fighting with them to replace the warped front rotors. they eventually did it, but the fact that was part fo the aprilia riders forum or NESR or SRNE had no bearing on them. i eventually got them replaced by simply being LOUD.
    i think i am gonna go talk to the guys at Seacoast sport. they seem to know there aprilia stuff up there. (seeing as its all they do)

thanks degs i will let you know what happens.

aprilia help

hey wait... when gas gets in oil it turns milky?! i have never mixed the two, just curious.

Banned

aprilia help

OK Brent. I will do what I can to help, but I'm just not that familiar with Aprilias. If you want me to take a quick look at it I will.

BTW, have you considered that you might have an oil flow problem that built up pressure and CAUSED the line to blow off?

The original problem may still be there and it could be as simple as a bad oil pump or a fuse.

degs

aprilia help

oh yea i completely worry that the real problem is still buried in there. its not a fuse. i think it could be an oil pump though.

you dont have to come look at it. i am only partially inept.
    i was just curious about mixing oil and gas. i have never had reason to do that or see what happens when you do. honest, i am just curious.

Banned

aprilia help

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    hey wait... when gas gets in oil it turns milky?! i have never mixed the two, just curious.

Water in oil will turn milky.

degs

aprilia help

thats what i thought.
    everything makes a lot more sense now. thank you!

aprilia help

Call Seacoast. Talk with Charles Sandoz - (603) 870-9133. He's a good guy and knows these bikes.

My Mille is stone reliable. The oil line should not have come off for any reason. That's really strange. As far as the rotors go, a lot of people thought their's warped - including me. The tolerance between the button and rotor is very small and they tend to bind causing that pulsing in the lever. Cleaning your buttons would have fixed it. Cleaning all the brake dust out of the pots helps too. But we know that now and didn't know it last year. I put BrakeTech rotors on and when I did we put the "warped" stock ones on a piece of glass. They really weren't warped.

Anyway, good luck with your Mille.

aprilia help

everyone automatically thinks its a mille?!
    its a falco.

anways, i am gonna bring it to Charles, i left him a message earlier. i plan on checking a few things out first, but i got a u-haul trailer for less than $20 and i can get it to him for a more experienced look.
    thanks!

aprilia help

kinda a rich man's SV 1000-s right?
    more like a debtor's SV1000S.

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

aprilia help

a pack of camel humping gits you are.

recall... i was shopping for a Tl when the falco walked right up outta nowhere and punched me in the face with the smaller price tag.

Lifer

aprilia help

Hey take it easy. At least it's Italian and it still looks good.

Ben

aprilia help

The Falco is a Mille (1000) dumb ass. As is the Tuono, Futura, and the RSV. But what can you expect from someone who wanted a TL.

aprilia help

Originally posted by benSV
    Hey take it easy. At least it's Italian and it still looks good.
    too bad we can't say the same about the cookie himself.

aprilia help

oooo, kicks him while he's down
    well hell, it's a lot less work on the leg... don't have to lift it as high.

aprilia help

filled it with regular old 10W-40 cause thats all they had in the shop.

the valve chattering sound is definitely there. and the oil display is definitely full beyond view, when it definitely wasn't that way earlier in the day.

If you fill the oil to the fill marks when it's cold there is way too much oil in it... The fact that there is too much oil in it may have something to do with all of these problems

Gerard

aprilia help

Or a float stuck open and dumped gas in the motor!

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

aprilia help

ok fuckers... geeze i go do work outta town for a day and y'all turn into evil'ins
    i know the falco is like the mille... a few subtle differences, but for the most part... prolly 90% the same. no biggy. smack back bitch!!!
    i was shopping for the TL cause i knew about it. i didn't even know the falco existed when i was shopping around. i was so stoked to find it and find out about it. before that i thought all the aprilia riders were some kinda elitist snobs and i wouldn't be able to hang with 'em unless i turned into a full on yuppy. i have come to find out its just the mille owners.

i filled the oil level properly. when it was warm and it was running properly for a while almost 200 miles of mixed riding... then something suddenly changed, the valves got loud and the fill tube suddenly said it was over filled.
    charles is gonna look at it next week and either confirm that i am ritarded or that something is really wrong and get it fixed.

taylor... your so cute when you are trying to be naughty.

greg.. go hump a cow!!!

aprilia help

taylor... your so cute when you are trying to be naughty.

i'm cute ALL the time!

aprilia help

. before that i thought all the aprilia riders were some kinda elitist snobs and i wouldn't be able to hang with 'em unless i turned into a full on yuppy. i have come to find out its just the mille owners.

That is all

G-man

Gerard

aprilia help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast