Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Caliper bleeder valve odd leak?

A couple days ago I decided to put some fresh brake fluid into my front brake system (06 gsxr 750). I bled the brake system on my old honda a couple times before so I can safely say I know what I'm doing (plus it's not that hard).

Well I bled the new fluid through the system without any issues, tightened the bleeder valves on the calipers back up and cleaned up the calipers so there was no brake fluid on them.

Two days later I went back down to look at something else and I noticed a trail of brake fluid that had traveled down the side of both calipers.

So I cleaned up all the brake fluid on both calipers and decided to pump the brake lever a bunch of times with a really hard squeezes. I noticed that there was an extremely small amount of fluid leaking out where the threading is on the bleeder valves.

I slightly tightened the bleeders, and pumped the brake lever a bunch of times really hard. Nothing came out, so I was like ok cool I'll put the dust caps back on the bleeders. 2 seconds after I put the caps on, an extremely small amount of fluid came out from where the threading is on the bleeders.

So at this point Im like ok wtf??? All I did was put the cap on and it made it leak? So I cleaned it up on both sides pumped the brake lever a bunch of times and kept checking the bleeders. Nothing is coming out now.

Has this ever happened to anyone before with their bikes? Only thing I could think of is that it was just excess fluid that got into the threading when it got loose when the system was bled.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Sorry to bear bad news, but you have a leak and really ought to fix it. the only way a little excess fluid would come out of there is if it were under pressure. Only way it would be under pressure is it if had a leak. With luck, it's just a lousy seal on the tapered parts of the bleader and caliper. I hope the threads aren't damaged on the caliper.

I posted this issue on the gixxer forum and it turns out another guy had the exact same issue I did when he flushed the system. Probably just the way it is.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Sounds unreasonble to me... Oh well, perhaps you could try teflon tape on the bleeder threads if the leak continues.

The thing that I find really odd is that the leak just all of a sudden stopped after the excess was cleaned up. If something was damaged it should have continued to leak when i was squeezing the brake lever.

Lifer

At the very least you should take the bleeder screws out all the way and make sure there is no dirt/crud on the mating surfaces of the bleeder and the caliper and the caliper threads are OK. New bleeders are cheap - while the old ones are out put in a new set. Good luck...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...