Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Oil injection PW50

Oil injection PW50

I got Wes (my 4year old) a pw50 for his birthday.

The bike is a 2 stroke, oil injected. When i picked it up there was mixed gas in the tank. Never having had an oil injected2-stroke before i went about seeing how it works. There is an oil tank, a line form the tank into a white box (i have not taken this apart yet to see if it is a pump or just a resivior) then a small hose out to a small port on the carb. With the bike running it does not pump oil out the line, and there in not much suction that i can feel coming from the oil inlet on the carb. Is there a pump or does this run off vacuum? I don't want to put gas in until i know if it is working. Can i simply plug this inlet on the carb and run premix? This seem like more hassle than it is worth!

Any thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS #951
    My girlfriend wants to be like me when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sometimes violence IS the answer. The answer every other time is busa.

Re: Oil injection PW50

Right from YamaHAHAHAAH'a web site.......***Exclusive autolube oil injection system eliminates the need for fuel/oil premixing.

Yours had oil to ensure proper break in or somebody thought it was a premix Bike???...and thats why I love the Honda CRF 50 just put gas in it and go...they have case oil like a real bike...and they make EVERY single part for it to make it Crazy...

Considering that it is probably running a 50 to 1 ratio I would not expect much vacuum or pressure if it was indeed a pump. Take that white box apart and see what you got. It was very common when oil injection first came out to disconnect it and use premix in 2 stroke motocrossers. But who knows if this white box thingamajig lubes a bearing or anything down below on your bike.

I understand that oil injection should eliminate the need for premix. I am trying to determine if the system is working. If a P/O had put in premix i am thinking it could be because the oil injection is not working......

Honda is my first choice always but a crf 50 iw WAY bigger than a pw... and he barely fits that!

LRRS #951

Or the system is broken and they decided to premix instead.
    I had a watercraft once where it stopped injecting the proper amount of oil and we just plugged the system and used pre mix from that point on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Right from YamaHAHAHAAH'a web site.......***Exclusive autolube oil injection system eliminates the need for fuel/oil premixing.

Yours had oil to ensure proper break in or somebody thought it was a premix Bike???...and thats why I love the Honda CRF 50 just put gas in it and go...they have case oil like a real bike...and they make EVERY single part for it to make it Crazy...
    Like a real bike. My ring a ding beat a field of sv650's this past weekend. All250cc's of fake bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Considering that it is probably running a 50 to 1 ratio I would not expect much vacuum or pressure if it was indeed a pump. Take that white box apart and see what you got. It was very common when oil injection first came out to disconnect it and use premix in 2 stroke motocrossers. But who knows if this white box thingamajig lubes a bearing or anything down below on your bike.

Good point, Will disassemble this weekend.... if it does lube something i can always leave it in place just not attached to the carb.

LRRS #951

Just mark the jug and see if it uses any oil??????? if not but a ratio-rite cup..and start mixin

Lifer

Most of the oil injection systems work off a pump (driven off the crank or electric). Check to see if there are any wires running into the white box.

Pigman had the best idea - mark the resevoir and see if the level moves, while running pre-mix thru it. Realistically - the worst thing that could happen is you foul a plug. It gets ugly quick running a 2 stroke with no oil in the gas...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

It is a pump off the head if I remember correctly. There should be a cable attatched from the throttle I believe.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Yes mechanical pump with throttle adjust.
    If pump gets empty it is a bear to prime... If you have a vacuum that blows take the top of the tank off and pressurize the tank to force oil thru the system.

TINY hoses to pump and to carb also gets brittle and crack or comes loose. check for fitting and reattach.

Get him going on like 40:1 premix with oil in the tank. Watch to see if level drops (working) and he should really smoke when on the gas fo a while.

NOTE there was a resitrictor at the head pipe when new as a learning deal, after a while opener up and see to remove it. Also clean exhaust baffle.

This oil injection allowed dopey kids to sneak in and gas her up from any can.

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

oil injection systems, while convenient, if they fail can cost you an engine.
    i've never trusted them for this reason

as you were.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

I had a PW for a few years. disconnect the injection and remove it then cap it and use premix.....

I am redoing a yami qt50 moped. It shares some parts from the pw50. The oil injection on this bike was gear driven. If you pull your oil pump off, there may be a gear there, there may not. If theres no gear there, then the po probably disabled it for the same reason i did.

As someone mentioned earlier, oil injection pumps shit the load sometimes, and when they do bye bye motor. I disabled it and will be running premix. The PO may have left oil in the tank to keep the moisture out maybe...

Tuono