Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

319 AM End of Season RR

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

319 AM End of Season RR

This will be another long one... read it if you want, don't if you'd rather not.

Got up to the track Thursday. Got set up, hung out, etc. Didn't make it onto the track, although it seems Roland had the track basically to himself for the entire day. Thursday night I decided I'd sit Friday out too... was going to rain all day and I didn't see the point in getting all my gear soaked riding in the rain so that I was putting on wet gear for my Sat & Sun races. Lauren, who joined us in the garage for the w/e, Roland and myself hung out all night. Brendan came up w/ BJ, was great to see him again. Overall good times just hanging @ the track.

Friday was more of the same, just hung out low key.

Saturday 1st practice the track was cold and green, so I rode slow saying I'd push harder in 2nd practice. 2nd practice I shut the bike down while we were waiting on hot pit, and it wouldn't start again. Turned out to be a bad connection, got it sorted easily enough but it cost me 2nd practice.

Sat Race 2, GTL: Got a decent launch and was able to pass Don & Joel into T1, putting me in the lead. Was riding OK, and for the first time in god knows how long I was able to keep Don behind me for a while. We traded places a couple times, but I felt like I had a good chance of finishing in front of him for a change. I was leading more laps than I wasn't, and knew I had a little more in reserve to pass him back if he made a move. Missed a shift on the straight that put Don back in front of me, but I got him back again. Then the bike started to cough as though it were running out of gas. Happened bad going into the bowl, and I said to myself "Hey Self, do you have any idea how fast some of the guys in the wave in front are? Do you really think it's wise to risk this thing dying into 9 and being stuck @ 30MPH just past T10, in a blind spot, with guys running 15s and faster coming up behind you?" Self answered "no, that seems like a very ill conceived plan, and you should probably get this thing off the track as soon as you can safely do so". So... I pulled off after the T6 gravel. Ride back in the crash truck. Only thing I could figure (2+ quarts left in the tank) is that the reserve part of my fuel petcock is not working, so all that remains to be done is put extra gas in for future races. Whatever, it was a really fun race. Shit happens.

Race 5, PTwin: This is the only race that really matters to me, since I'm on a proddy twin EX500. I got a mediocre launch and tried to hang on w/ Don & Joel, but just didn't have it. I still managed to run 5 laps under my PB, setting a new PB of 1:25.748. The 26s curse is broken, and I'm happy with my season. Joel & Don set PBs that race too, partially explaining why I couldn't catch them, so congrats to the both of you on your newfound extra fast as well. Great race.

Sunday: Power somehow got cut to my trailer overnight, so I wake up no alarm and miss first practice. No big deal, I'll make it up 2nd practice. Then the phone rings, it's Daviid. "Hey, if you want to plug my warmers in, you can ride my superbike SV in 2nd practice, I have no desire to practice today anyway". SWEET! Forget practicing my bike, my PB is set and my weekend is a success already, how often does a chance like this come along? So 2nd practice I play on a 90HP, 360lb SV. Holy crap was that thing a missile. I couldn't get comfortable on it though... it felt like I was precariously perched atop the bike. Odd feeling. I only got 4 laps, with a break in the middle to adjust the damper and clear the fog from my glasses. Maybe I would have connected with it better with more seat time? Regardless, it was fun as all hell. Thanks for the ride Daviid!

Sunday Race 5, LWSM. The first few laps were uneventful... I was still adjusting back to my bike after the SV, and knew I couldn't win anyway. Then, going really deep into 1, I grabbed a full 3 fingered handful of front brake and... my pinkie hurt from being crushed by the lever. That was really the only noticeable change... the bike sure as hell didn't slow down. Nascar T1 here I come. Turns out the dial adjuster for my brake lever fell out... so no brakes. Folgers has nothing on losing your brakes into T1 when it comes to waking someone up...

That was the end of my racing, but AJ was riding my bike in Race 7, and Kid was riding it in Race 8. We all rushed in the garage, got the plates & transponder swapped, the bike fueled, the lever replaced, etc. and got AJ out there for his race. He went easy, not crashing the bike so the kid would be able to ride. Another quick plate & transponder swap on hot pit and Kid was out for Race 8, where she won her first race. Congrats kid.

Monday, TTD: I was unsure what to expect. I was told the passing rules could be very frustrating for someone on a small bike, but with the season over I was just there to have a good time anyway so I decided I'd just suck it up when I got parked in the corners. It was actually a really good day. There were only a total of 3 bikes, for a total of 5-6 times, that someone motored me on the straights just to park me in the turns. It was a lot less frustrating than I expected. I got to work with Gino & Pete some, that was fun as well as helpful. I also rode Lauren's R6... and holy shit. I think I'm in love. It took probably 10 minutes to get used to just being on the bike, another 5 to get into a groove, and the last 5 minutes of the session just felt like something that was meant to be. When I got back on my bike the next session it took me 3-5 laps to get over the "wow, this thing is a piece of shit" feeling and refamiliarize myself with my own bike. I'm thinking I really need a 2nd bike for next year.

Overall, awesome weekend. Great friends, the track, riding, bike sharing, etc. Definitely closed the season down right, and I can't wait for next year. Up next: 24's.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 319 AM End of Season RR

Good stuff dankey. You run a top notch second rate operation. See ya in the spring.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Good stuff dankey. You run a top notch second rate operation. See ya in the spring.
    Thanks Chippy. You do ok yourself for an oil spewing tard.

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post

It was nice pitting with the mafia...wish I could've accepted the offer of a garage space for next year and wasn't going to be so damn far away. I'm glad you got all your mechanical sorted out and could get back out there

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

Nice Dan! Sounds like I am going to have to race the EX next year at least once so I can break your pb.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Great write-up Dan! Oh, and thanks for the chicken!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post

I couldn't get comfortable on it though... it felt like I was precariously perched atop the bike. Odd feeling.

w.
    Funny Dan, I had the same feeling when I went from the EX to an SV earlier this year, I always felt like I forgot my seatbelt or something....probably cuz we're used to sitting on a couch while we ride?

Quote Originally Posted by b0xmonkey View Post
    Funny Dan, I had the same feeling when I went from the EX to an SV earlier this year, I always felt like I forgot my seatbelt or something....probably cuz we're used to sitting on a couch while we ride?
    I had that thought, except I loved the 125 I rode a couple weekends ago and really really loved Lauren's R6 Monday. Could be I'd get used to the SV - you did, right?

Quote Originally Posted by b0xmonkey View Post
    I get a similar feeling when switching from the RS125 to the EX250. The upright sitting position of the EX makes me feel like I'm sitting on top of the EX250 rather than blending with the RS125. After a couple of sessions on the EX, that akwardness went away and the seating position felt natural again.

I'm sure if you had a few sessions to get used to an SV, you'd be fine.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Oh yeah, I'm used to it now, it was just when i went back and forth between the two bikes that it felt weird.