Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

771 Racing(tm) goes MotoAmerica(r)

771 Racing(tm) goes MotoAmerica(r)

World's worst kept secret at this point, this past weekend I through intelligence to the wind and raced with MotoAmerica at Circuit of the Americas in Texas. This series of bad decisions started back before the Classic as a haha funny idea that it'd be a riot to try and race a SuperHooligan event... at the classic I talked to a few current racers running the series and the itch turned into a proper drive, with a small sense of urgency as the rumor mill was saying this would be the last MA event at COTA so if I could, that would be the event to hit.

To pull this off I'd need a legal bike, I'd need a license, and I'd need a plan to get there, do the thing, and get home. If you only care about the racing, skip to the next post.

The bike I initially thought would be the 'easy part'. I joked about converting my Pan America, but that idea had already been shut down when I bought the bike last year, my wife was NOT amused with the idea that our two up machine would suddenly get absconded with for nefarious other uses so it was out. Reviewing the rules, going into the 'American Air-Cooled Twins' subclass eliminated a whole list of restrictions and requirements, no need to worry about minimum weights, no concerns about any unexpected engine mods being illegal, the rules for this class basically boil down to "Make it safe, come play." So, converting an HD Big Twin is a level of lift that I'm not interested in, that basically leaves Sportsters and Buells... I knew of one already converted, heavily built Sportster that would absolutely decimate the class, but it wasn't available, so I instead decided to chase down a former race Buell with the idea that the cheapest way to build a bike is buy one already built and Buells were already in 'sportbike-y' form out of the crate so, easy, right? Turns out... there aren't that many still kicking around in race trim, I did locate one locally but it turned out to need WAY more work to bring back to life than was going to be possible in the rapidly shrinking time window I had. So, wanting seat time sooner rather than later, I opted to find a street bike, and went with a 2008 XB12XT 'Ulysses Tour'. The 08's were the last revision of the Buell engine with an improved crank and oil pump system, the Ulysses Tour having the Lightning Long chassis and swingarm which has more 'traditional' geometry other than being an inch taller and ultimately, there are a TON of these bikes in New England so finding a used example for a reasonable price without having to have it shipped was possible.

The build was going to be simple - Do the bare minimum to make the bike go around a track safely as per MotoAmerica rules, and wherever possible make all changes reversible so I could revert to street setup and resell if possible after. My new machine also came with a few issues to sort, it felt like the steering stem bearings were notchy, the front brake had classic Buell judder, and as I discovered on my first proper street ride it would shut down on moderate throttle once warm. I also needed to source a bellypan 'cause I'm not a fabricator and couldn't find a used one anywhere. What I thought were bad steering stem bearings was actually a rear tire that was near flat, correct pressures and it was good. A fuel pump rebuild (what a PITA, I *HATE* the design) and replacement ECU later, the bike ran reliably. The front brake fought me, caliper and master were shockingly clean, like, if it wasn't for a worn pad pin I'd have sworn they were new, the master's insides were still shiny like it had never seen brake fluid. The rotor was an aftermarket EBC, the mount system to the wheel is goofy, I was pretty certain the rotor was warped but decided to rework the mounts to 'float' the rotor to see if that would help. TLDR a trashed rotor is trashed, this didn't work. I did my NYST with this juddery mess, it likely contributed to my ooopise... Factory pegs were LOW which made for a comfy bike but no good for the track. I rushed to NYST with the bike in OEM trim on Shinko 705 dual sport tires to get seat time and feel it out, rode over my head and dumped the bike there on my third session trying to push. The good - the bike felt WAY better than it had any right to on original suspension and those tires, the bad I broke a peg bracket and cracked the front headlight bracket.

Ok, bike has potential, but now I *need* parts and again not much time. Turns out a bike that went out of production in 2010 is hard to find OEM parts for, oddly though this American brand has a MASSIVE following in Europe? I ended up getting most new parts from Sweeden, Greece and Italy. Back in the day Woodcraft made rearsets for XBs, they've long since run out of stock and without a major revival in demand aren't doing another run so... the one option available is Chinese copies so I held my nose and ordered a set. They're... well... the machining is good, the design is based on a good thought, the execution is bad. Just, not usable in my opinion. I had to plan B and get OEM Firebolt brackets (Two sets, first arrived bent, fixed with my press, who knew you could bend cast aluminum?!) plus Chinese straight 'race' pegs, a lot more epoxy than I should admit rebuilt the headlight bracket. I tried a couple different Renthal bars and opted for slight rise with the 1in riser blocks mostly 'cause I couldn't force the stock Ulysses cables/lines to work well any lower. Ergos are cramped, switching the bike from feeling like a heavy wide supermoto with no ground clearance to a heavy, wide CRF70 with ALL the ground clearance, but it all worked reliably. Suspension never got touched, it's what shipped in 2008, seals, oil and all. At NYST turning a slow pace it felt good so? The bike had a Drummer SS muffler and K&N filter, so that was the extent of performance mods it'd get, I sourced a used STM slipper clutch 'cause I've never learned proper downshifting and was terrified of blowing a downshift and either dumping or over-revving and wrecking the motor. I did put a new aftermarket clutch pack in as they are notorious for eating them when raced and a slipper just makes that worse. I ordered a belly pan from Airtech who quoted 4 to 8 weeks, with 8 weeks meaning I'd get it the week I had to leave for Texas, and one from Italy. The one from Italy arrived in 2 weeks, still don't have one from Airtech... Lights were stripped off the bike, along with the awesome sourced from Germany for Buell luggage, and that was the entire 'build', never even got a chance to swap tires so it was going to Texas on Shinkos.

Never got a second chance to do a track day before racing, so my 'race' bike got a short test ride around Waterboro with no lights... don't tell anyone!

On the licensing front, for MotoAmerica I needed to show my prior sprint racing history as I never renewed my NEMRR license, so a hand cramping amount of prior results transcribing later I got that paperwork filed and it went through without issue. During this process I had a contact at MotoAmerica and a contact at Roland Sands who runs the SuperHooligans series, they were both AWESOME to deal with. At no time did I ever encounter anything resembling push-back or friction anywhere in either org. Everyone wants to see people participate, when there were potential issues or friction points they were all about trying to figure things out to keep things progressing. This extended to my interactions with staff and officials at the track, and really everyone at COTA. The SH side of the house in particular really goes for a 'have fun first' feel, the point of the class is we're doing things wrong on purpose, enjoy and embrace the goofiness that causes.

Now, MA on the other hand is a professional series that answers to the FIM plus a TON of sponsors, so some things have to be taken more serious. I needed team uniforms with specific branding, though as a SH rider they really just wanted to see an effort made instead of holding me to the same standards as say Eckstar Suzuki. I initially started the process of ordering shirts online only to get told AFTER committing payment that "Oh, yeah, we can't actually do what you want..." The good news is they didn't push back when I canceled that order, I got bailed out by the local graphics shop who made me WAY better shirts in half the time for less money. TLDR shop local. The paperwork to specify my pit area needs is more than a year's race entries club racing for example... Again, MA was awesome to deal with through the process.

I booked my hotel in Texas about a month ahead of time to get a better rate, spent over a week in Austin and never got to see much of the city, bah.

I held off on putting in my entry for COTA, hotel, shirts etc until I was confident I'd be able to have the bike legal and viable, which meant I was close to the MA deadline for the event and sweating getting my shirts, bellypan, etc, the lack of which would have meant a lot of wasted money with no race. I spent the last two months in a hurry up and panic wait firefight mode, stress levels pretty high. To add to it, I found out about two weeks before I was to be on the road that we'd be going through some drastic changes at work... so much for being able to sleep for awhile.

While panic prepping the bike and 'team' I also had to improve my trailer setup. My test trip to NYST resulted in my generator tipping over and dumping oil and gas everywhere so I had to R&R the generator, clean out the trailer and get the gas smell out, and figure out better ways to transport things. I also had to R&R my airconditioner as mudwasps had moved into the fan causing it to try and shake itself apart when I first tested it. Had to R&R many marker lights, still have one fender light that isn't happy but whatever... much test fitting, adding d-rings and straps later, I was able to fit things in and secure them mostly. Had to get an EZ UP, needed a rear stand that'd work on the Buell, needed a way to keep my fridge/etc running while my generator was running warmers on hot pit, needed a scanner as per MA rules to hear announcements, for the past couple of months a lot of things were just put on the CC without doing the math to just get it done.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Kurlon; 09-14-23 at 11:43 AM.

Re: 771 Racing(tm) goes MotoAmerica(r)

This really is a great story. Super pumped you were able to “make it to the finish line,” there are so many elements to making a project of this scope successful. Taking the checked flag in itself is an incredible accomplishment. Congrats, Josh.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

The furthest I've ever driven, solo is southern Maine to NJ, a single day's drive. COTA is 2100mi away, I planned on three days driving, 700mi / 10hrs a day, a buffer day before load in, the event, another buffer day then three days home. 4500mi of driving in the end, and a LOT of hotels, the drive time ones I didn't reserve ahead of time so I'd have some flexibility, all well outside my comfort zone. The drive there went OK, found hotels each night easily, arrived in Austin tired, stiff, everything intact. Found a place to get a massage on Wed which was SUPER helpful, also did my first Uber Eats orders as there was nothing in safe walking distance of the hotel, that was fun.

Load in on Thursday sucked. COTA's paddock area isn't big, and the large teams have BIG setups that need a lot of room to maneuver and position so MA has a pre-determined load in order for teams. Being a newcomer and not in a premier class with a small setup, I'd be one of the last. I sat in my Jeep from 8AM (getting my credentials that morning was easy) till 1PM when I finally was allowed in. Unloaded in 108F heat, then had to deal with a tight schedule, Dunlop would only mount SH tires for a certain time window, Tech for SH was a specific tight time window, plus there is a mandatory entry meeting AND I needed to attend headshots as this was my first event, at a specific time. On paper, it was doable if I had a team, I could send a rep to the meeting, I could get head shots, someone could chase tires with Dunlop and also make sure the bike made it to tech. Solo... it wasn't going to happen, I had to have Dunlops mounted to pass tech but there just wasn't enough time to get it all done. Fortunately, Dunlop took pity on me and did my tires out of order, that let me get them on the bike in time for tech, and I fortunately breezed through tech as I had triple checked the rule books before packing. We'll come back to that part later. Bike legal, the entry meeting was pleasantly short. Headshots went well though I discovered I couldn't 'smile', because of the heat, exertion and looming dehydration my face would just twitch when I tried to hold a smile. Somehow she got a good shot out of me, miracle worker. Also, I discovered I forgot my tire warmers, either set...

As a sign or things to come, and bear in mind this was just setting up and teching, no riding/etc: Attachment 60229

Hotel, sleep.

Friday, arrive early, Pittenger also arrived to help out. In addition to bringing warmers, he just was awesome help the whole weekend. Even with MA later declaring that all classes save for Superbikes would be using quick start procedures there is no way I'd have been able to pull this off solo, just not possible. You need a team, and even a two man squad has both the rider and friend stretching themselves thin. Doing so in this stupid heat just made things that much harder. Went out for first practice, my first time seeing the track proper vs playing MotoGP 23 and watching youtube vids and I was overwhelmed. Off line, didn't know what came after each corner, I was slow and nervous. The good news, you can blow a corner massively and just keep riding, runoff for days so the blind corners/elevation changes etc threw me off but not fatally. Came in, pitted, discovered my generator couldn't run my trailer's AC in the heat, great. My electric cooler also couldn't keep up 'cause it never cooled off at night so... great, whatever, keep pushing. A bit later it's time to go out for the first qualifying session, cool, back on track, still no idea where I'm going, got split by McWilliams and O'Hera in one corner, miiiight have pushed O'Hera wide when they did... session stopped for a bike down on track, red flag. Onto hot pit we go, stop near track entry expecting that to be the end of session, instead hold my bike up for a bit in the heat when I learn it's going to resume eventually. Welp, at this point I'm *HOT*, I don't think I'm going to really lay down a magic hot lap so I decide to call it there. Because this is a qual, I can't just go back to my pit, I have to go to Park Ferme for inspection, and I can't ride my bike there. Instead I have to push it back, myself, all of the way back down hot pit then 1/2 back on the pit side of the wall, across the garages... MA took a bit of pity on me, they sent a rep with me so I could push back on the pit side of the wall instead of having take the long walk but still a long push. Once in Park Ferme I had to wait for Richie to find me and come back with a stand 'cause we didn't know the process, then wait for my bike to be cleared, which wouldn't happen till after the session was done. Ok, fine, I'll just stand in my leathers and wait...

Nope, too hot, not cooling off, but nowhere to go, I can't leave the bike... I needed to sit, the Mission Foods boot was right there and there was an unused chair so I asked politely if they'd mind if I joined them. She jumped up and moved the chair to the side so I'd be visible as still present in Park Ferme and also not be mistaken as a Mission Foods rep, super kind, and I sat. Eventually the bike was cleared, but I needed to say seated, I was not cooling off, my temp was not coming down. Got asked again, just let me sit a little longer... ok, no, I think I'm having trouble... an Indian team member noticed me and checked on me, I think I said I just needed time, next thing I know he's under one arm, Richie was under my other arm and they hauled me into the India team rig, had my leathers half off and put an ice vest on me. They're feeding me Pedialyte and water, I'm chatting with O'Hera and apologizing for taking up their time when suddenly MotoAmerica's medical team arrives (a different Indian team member went for them), more assistance into a cart, then into the medical building. TLDR I eventually cooled down, vitals checked out, and I gave decent answers as to what I had been doing to try and stay hydrated but they requested I drop the powerade for Pedialyte. Because I self recognized I shouldn't go back out and didn't finish the session I got the benefit of the doubt and didn't get restricted from the rest of the event pending a medical sign off, I skipped my B group qualification as again, too hot/tired to be safe, I'd just have to stand on the time I did in my one session. I cannot thank everyone involved enough, all were incredibly friendly and wanting to help. I kinda put Pittenger through a wringer with this episode, dude handled it like a champ.

Because I qualified for group B, my day was done, and I wouldn't be on track Saturday. Saturday was spent hanging out, sneaking into the VIP suite to stay cool and watching racing. It was HOT but a good day. The place is awesome to explore. To explain group B, this was the second time that there were so many SuperHooligan entries that there were more than the available grid spots in the mains. Roland Sands apparently put his foot down with MotoAmerica and demanded that everyone who entered the class and showed up get a race, so the B Main was created. We had nearly 50 entries for 39 potential grid spots this round, the cutoff was 115% of the 5th place qualifier's time, or a 2:45, I turned a 2:55 in qual 1.

Sunday, the big day, early practice, then shortly after the main event. Practice went ok, I was starting to get a mental map in my head and could predict what was coming after a corner now. Down to a 2:51, I also managed to get out near a couple other bikes and use them as carrots to latch onto and then get by. After, Pittenger gave me some pointers, a couple easy ares where I just needed to trust the bike, hold the damn throttle on. Really, everywhere on the track I just needed more throttle, less brake, but again I barely had any seat time on it (Only 200mi total at this point), have never ridden Dunlops, or COTA. It was HOT, I'm out there with literal racing legends, I was in over my head and just looking to not cause an incident.

Race time, I made a bad call, I was assuming pit out would be open for 5 minutes, so I didn't call for warmers/stands off till 1 min before it opened. I can see pit out from my pit, but I had to go around a bunch of pits to get there, while staying below the pit speed limit of 37mph AND avoiding all the people, plus it was only open for 1 min so I got there 2 seconds late. As did two others. There was some confusion, the stewards there were trying to give us updated grid spots at the back but under quick start procedure that wasn't going to happen as there wouldn't be a warm up lap, we're starting from here on hot pit. He was corrected, let us spread out a bit, and... lights out, he didn't wait to let us free and the race is on. I've never launched this bike, and again my goal is to complete the race, no expectations of grandure here so I did a soft launch like I would out of my garage for a ride before WOTing, actually came out 2nd of the late crew, right on the tail of the main pack into T1, a near 180 dropping downhill. Ok, Buell made the turn and head down, let's try to do this, and I've got carrots in front of me. I diced a bit with one who was on a Pan Am before he motored away, we both avoided a crasher, avoided another crasher and... then I had a lonely race in 5th trying to make a clean lap as fast as possible. I got down to a 2:48 flat, looking at my best segments I had a theoretical 2:43 best... Completed my race, got cleared from Park Ferme, back to the pits to deal with work...

2+ hours in my trailer, which was 108F, no AC, dealing with a work crisis that cropped up just before I went out for practice. I had been ignoring calls from my boss for 3 hours at this point, I could not have that stress in my head AND be on track... Crisis averted, work saved, I'm not fired. Got to enjoy watching more racing and hanging out before packing up, heading for the hotel for one last night, then start the drive home.

On the drive home the first night I pushed, made it to Nashville but couldn't find parking for my Jeep and Trailer so I pushed a bit more to a Days Inn outside of town. That was a mistake, could not sleep, blargh. I then decided fuck hotels, I want to be home, so I went from 8am to 5am the next day, 1200mi in one shot to get home Wed morning. My body is still pissed at that dumbassery, I'm stupid tired, but I slept in my own house for a couple hours Wed morning so, win?

Net result, 5th in the B main, I'm still waiting for the official results of the American Air-Cooled Twins class but I think I took 4th in it. My tired trailer survived, the bike is in one piece, I didn't scuff up Todd's rapid repair of my leathers from my NYST ooopsie, and I now have a clean race weekend with MA on my record. And I want to do this more...

What worked: For starters, the bike. I expected the Buell to be a competent street bike but underpowered, soft, etc. I was absolutely underpowered, my absolute best speed trap result was 131mph, McWilliams posted a 158 on the Indian FTR. 6200RPM in 5th, full tuck and she just wouldn't go any faster in that heat. Belt drive so I couldn't easily monkey with gearing to squeeze more, I just had to make due with the 90hp or so at the wheel I had. It didn't FEEL that bad on track though, particularly in the tighter sections when I was with traffic the Buell would come out of corners with decent pull. When I got to carve, particularly the lovely triple apex corners roll speed was not an issue for the bike, it never so much as twitched and I was outrolling many of the AACT machines. The front brake, with a new EBC rotor and mounting hardware was butter smooth, EBC EPFA pads worked ok, I'd prefer even more initial bite and I think more absolute brake for the lever effort I put in. I was able to outbrake many AACT machines, but still felt like there was more to be had? I can upgrade the caliper/master/rotor to a ZTL2, but it's not cheap and just wasn't in the budget for this effort. I was also surprised by the suspension, 15 year old fluid and seals with stock springs and damping and it felt good on track, almost too stiff I think. The bike never felt like it got out of shape, stayed smooth and composed the whole time. Net result, the loose nut behind the bars was 100% the limiting factor, I didn't know the line, didn't know how much I could romp on it at lean, how hard I could trail brake, etc. The Dunlops (R3 front, R7 rear) also never talked to me like Pirellis, felt like I was back on Bridgestones that just gripped silently, no drama, no movement, until they wouldn't. I never pushed past their limits, and have no idea how near/far I was from them, I don't know how to read them feel wise yet, which slowed my learning curve a bit. I also haven't actually raced much the past couple of years, so my 'feel' in general is blunted. The total package worked WAY better than a street bike with numbers slapped on it had any right to in my opinion, and I do think it's got a ton of untapped potential in the class. My lap times would have been way higher had I been trying to wrassle a heavier, longer HD based machine around the same corners even if I had more HP on top for the straights.

I bought a lithium battery box to run my cooler off of, so it'd get 8 or so hours of runtime in the evening while I was at the hotel, no generator needed. It did it's job beautifully. Too bad it was still so damn hot that wasn't enough to actually keep things cool. In hindsight, I wish I had gotten a slightly higher end unit that could charge faster than 200w, and could have afforded to get a solar panel for it as well as I could have skipped my generator running at all for a lot of the event.

What didn't work? Well, my generator for starters, and my peltier cooler. Next time I'd have a 4kw+ generator dedicated to the trailer, with my 2kw as the mule for hot/pit, etc. I'd also switch to a traditional refrigerator. The combo of which I don't think would fit in my tired trailer, and I'm not sure the trailer is worth putting heavy lifting into at this point. I also can't really tow a larger setup so... if I pursue this further I need to figure out a bunch on the logistics side. That leads to the second thing that didn't work well, me having the stupid idea that I could pull this off solo. Yeah, no, full stop. Pittenger being local bailed my ass out HARD this weekend, and even then I think more help would have lowered stress levels for both of us.

While plotting this, I actually had a Buell racer offer his bike and pit to me, he was willing to let me mangle his XB into a SH legal config with normal bars, no bodywork save for bellypan, etc, get track time on it, etc PLUS setup and work a pit for me. Legit humbled me, and I passed as I'm not comfortable risking someone else's machine like that. I've since had a different racer say I should have reached out as I could have joined their pit as well, did I mention how at all levels of this org the overall feeling is "we want this to happen, how can we help?"

That's enough wall of text, I need rest, I need to figure out how I'm paying for all this, and plot follow up events 'cause I'm now hooked, hard, and I think I may have gotten others infected as well this weekend.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Was a pleasure to be there with you buddy. I think I had more fun than you did.
    We both learned a lot for next time, except hopefully Ill be out there with you.
    Also, according to my watch, I walked over 20 miles during the weekend. And I definitely felt it.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Pittenger5; 09-14-23 at 01:39 PM.
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Maybe I missed it in your 50 pages of text, but did you get rid of the toy hauler and get an enclosed trailer instead?

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Sold it last summer after getting rulebooked out, leaving me with my enclosed trailer I used to race out of. Figured I was done racing, bought the Pan Am for street riding but…

…the itch came back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Sold it last summer after getting rulebooked out, leaving me with my enclosed trailer I used to race out of. Figured I was done racing, bought the Pan Am for street riding but…

…the itch came back.
    It always does... welcome back to the fray. Fun story. That drive home might have been the most impressively stupid part! lol.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

THIS WAS A GREAT READ

I gotta remember to venture out of the dirty bastards section. I keep forgetting I met you FF’s at Loudon first and you guys do have lives on pavement too

Great read…although I don’t know some of the acronyms

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-16-23 at 12:32 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

MA = MotoAmerica
    COTA = Circuit of the Americas in Texas
    SH = SuperHooligans
    AACT = American Air-cooled Twins subclass of SuperHooligans
    XB12XT = '2nd generation Buell, fuel in frame', 1200cc, Ulysses, Tourer
    TON = Lots Many
    PITA = Pretend chewy bread?
    NYST = New York Safety Track
    OEM = Boring original parts that should be replaced with billet or carbon fiber ASAP
    ASAP = As soon as my credit rating rebounds
    FTR = Indian FTR 1200 rocket ship
    AC = Not present except in private suites
    2:48 = Not fast enough, more throttle, less brake
    ZTL2 = One more than ZTL, in Buell math that means 2 more pistons
    ZTL = Buell front brake system
    EBC EPFA = EBC pads, EPFA 'racey' compound, last step before the 'full racey' GPFA compound

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Great read Josh. Very happy you made this happen even if with all the drama. Spectacular effort and pretty damn good results. Proud of you man.

Super cool, sounds like an amazing experience.

Hyper

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Well shit, that looks fun as hell. Lemme know when the SV fits in the class, I'll pull the bodywork off and stick some dirtbike bars on it

Awesome job, Josh. And great write-up!

-Pete LRRS/CCS #81 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650