Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SPOILER ALERT! #613 Round 1- sump'n old, sump'n new, sump'n borrowed, sump'n blue

Re: SPOILER ALERT! #613 Round 1- sump'n old, sump'n new, sump'n borrowed, sump'n blue

Saturday, Tech-
    Bike was somehow OK. Now this medical information form... I had printed two at home, filled one out. Forgot both in the rush. Tech told me I needed to get the form from Registration. I did. And filled it out. And tried to give it to Registration. Who told me to bring it to Tech. Who told me to bring it to registration. Who seemed irritated that I hadn't brought it sooner. As a bit of foreshadowing, I can tell you that the infield medical center did indeed have my medical info on file, and asked me to repeat ALL of it again when I saw them. I didn't have this much trouble when I crossed the border with three undocumented bikes, a minor, and twelve cans of high octane ethanol free cheap-ass American gas.
    Saturday second practice-
    Now firmly ensconced in garage C15 with pit mate Mo (#521) to keep the door closed so we stayed warm, and den mother Josh (#771, or so I've heard) to keep me on
    task-ish, I set out on my first real race practice. Crossed my fingers that the old girl would not scrape my makeshift bellypan, and tiptoed on chilly eggshells to some more 1:30's putting me in 46th place for practice!! At some point during the weekend I decided my 2013 takeoffs that I rode trackdays with for 2014 were probably not ideal for the temperatures, and bought a new set of Pirellis from MTAG. Mike Kurtz was actually confused by my request, and thought I was looking for installation of takeoffs. My reputation precedes me. I didn't actually put the new ones on the bike right away, but I felt better knowing I had them. Made the driver's meeting, got my grid spots, tried to chill out for...
    Race 2-GTL-
    Thanks to following Mo's example, I was able to get fueled up, warmers on, and geared up to make third call. I tried my damnedest to not hyperventilate and fog my glasses, but I couldn't see much on the start. The lights didn't seem to bother me like some folks, and my start was OK. I quickly lost sight of the fast AM's up front, and settled into getting ready to be lapped by the EX's. My stringent regimen of drinking beer and reading NESR all winter quickly paid of with fatigue and dry mouth from all the panting and hollering at myself. I didn't really recognize any bikes out there, but the track was the same old thing, and I hung in there with some 1:26's until Doucette lapped me the second time at the checkers. I saw Brian Faucher #345 off of T6 on the cool down lap, and hoped it wasn't too bad, since he's just on the other side of the bench from me and I only have so many SV spares. I finished 5th of 16, which might have been better if I hadn't been lapped that second time just before the line. More faster next time. As I got tired, I found I was trail braking way too deep and rolling back on far too slowly.
    At some point Josh disappeared, and when he returned with his new extension cord to replace his trashed one, I noticed mine was missing. A quick survey turned it up at the far end of the garages, skinned and piled in a heap in the road. Apparently the tow truck flew through a little low.
    Race 9 LWGP-
    I may have put the new front on for this one. Not sure. I flubbed the launch, and was given a second chance by a red flag on the first lap. Got a good one on the restart, and grabbed first going into T1! Held it for a little while, then #212 Chris Mackin and #609 Kyle Reese got by me. The cold weather still had me spooked for traction, so I only dared 1:27's. I held on for 3rd, however I was still pumped because I have NEVER gotten on the podium on a Saturday to actually be awarded anything! My silent goals of not crashing and getting a podium were checked off. Awards were moved inside due to chilly brr. I may have been imagining it, but the applause seemed pretty loud for me and Denny accepting my 3rd place LWGP ribbon.
    Butler BBQ/S's M&K bday-
    This was my event, I am always ready to binge. Unfortunately I left my food contribution right at home with my medical form (and 22mm axle nut socket, grrr) but it should still be good for next round. Maybe. It was great to see everybody having fun and food and drink. While the ice cream IOMTT cake was good, the meat/mac 'n cheese/ potato 'n cheese was just what an exhausted, sleep deprived, cold as hell carb craving body needed. That and some T1a bonfire to warm up, combined with excellent storytelling. It woulda been perfect if not for that troublesome cock-knocker down there.
    Checked back in to C15 and found Brian and Mo working on putting #345 back together. I tried to help a bit, then got outta the way. Patched my ext. cord and fired up the trailer heater, grateful to have a bike in one piece.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Re: SPOILER ALERT! #613 Round 1- sump'n old, sump'n new, sump'n borrowed, sump'n blue

To be continued?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Yes, always Johnny, see you in a coupla weeks. And yeah, you miss all the fun on Sundays.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Sunday Funday-
    Made first practice. Spirits buoyed by a night above freezing and a working heater, plus a bike that only needs gas. Practice went well, being duly cautious of the T1A skating rink. The rider's meeting was held in the tech garage, whereupon it was voted to shorten the races to 6 laps. I voted against, even though it probably worked out better for me to have less time for the fast guys to reel me in. I was distracted by the change of venue and missed the grid posting on my way back to the garages. Chatted with some folks and decided to put on my new rear Pirelli after much back and forth about getting the most "value" out of my shagged rear (tire). Discovered again that I'd left my 22mm socket at home. I borrowed one from #240 Roland Fahnbulleh and carried on.

Race 4 LWSB- I was in 4 and 5, glad to get a break for lunch between. 3rd call and I hopped on my bike only to realize I had no grid positions written down. During my stream of profanity, either Josh or Jim from Seacoast next door said just go out, pregrid will get you squared away. Lilly did just that, miming 3 C to my frantically nodding helmet. Squeezed in a practice start despite my wave disappearing off hot pit.
    Pretty flustered, I rushed to catch up, lined up and tried to see what was happening through my fogged visor. Revs came up, I dumped the clutch a little quick and wheelied. Put it back down and everybody got away. I hammered to catch up, but saw a melee ahead in T1 and elected to take a leisurely detour through the grass and over to NASCAR 2. Red flag and early lunch break due to aisle T1 cleanup. I was worried about the condition of some guy named Kyle who doesn't even know me who went down, and almost forgot to turn my warmers on in time for the restart, not to mention adding enough gas to get me through races 4&5. Better start this time, and some good close racing with #345 Brian Faucher (GingahNinjah). #151 JC Bernier (Maximx) was gone at the front, but I was ecstatic to get another podium, maybe I wasn't as slow as I had imagined during my sabbatical? dropped another second to 1:25.4. I was sad to hear that #609 Kyle Reese was done for the day, I had hoped to pick up a tow. So, pit in and then pregrid for

Race 5- Supertwins.
    I finished Second as the meat in a Ducati 848 sandwich. Elated to dice with the 'spensive fast bikes. Dropped 1.5 seconds to pull a 1:23.7. I honestly don't know what the change was, I felt the same but everybody else seemed out of sorts. What I had been doing right along suddenly seemed to be working.

Race 8 - LWSS. Launched well, and took the lead in T1. Kept it for a lap as sprinkles showed on the visor, then got moved on inside by #345 coming into T6, the same place he had crashed the day before. I was not interested in any part of that, and moved way up the track, into second. I chased him for a couple laps, and must have got by because the results show I won. Lots of fun sparring, and this would be my first ever AM win! Yeah baby! I was so spent it didn't even register at the time. I just knew I had to get back and get the bike ready for race 10. Dropped 3 more tenths, now at 1:23.4. I was sorry to learn Maxim had gone down in 6 and was out with an injury. I've had fun riding track days with him and was looking forward to the fun competition. Nobody got a big smile like his...

Race 10- Thunderbike.
    No improvement in lap time, but I hear I won that shit. Pit in pit out and-

Race 11, F40L.
    I was pretty high from two wins and two podiums, and after a week of little sleep and 4 races, I was toast here. I didn't know what race I was in, how long it was, or who I was up against (this will prove critical shortly). I gridded up in my spot, next to #763, Roland Arsenault (Rolker) on his Honda 125. There was an empty row in front of us, then a large pack of faster looking bikes. Okay I says, we're wave 3. I can handle this. Visor fogging as usual, possibly worse for just having won the previous race. Wondering where our wave holder is. Lights go down or flag goes up and we all launch together. My addled brain decides going into T1 that I need to pass every bike in front to get a podium. And these folks are a rolling roadblock. 4 wide through turns 1,2,3 has me foaming at the mouth to get by. They start to string out in 6 and 7, and I pass a few on the outside of 8, switch over and start passing on the outside of 9. Hold my line inside a bike going into T10, and get my elbow down! The elation was short lived as the #271 Ducati 749 of Richard O'Connor then ran said elbow over as I slid through 10 without my bike. For those that don't know, that smarts. The bike outside me (I don't know who) either didn't have time to react to my arriving inside them late in T9, or was determined to hold the spot. They came in to the T10 curb, and I was left with the option of hit them, jump the curb, or see what happens when you drop throttle and brake hard leaned over for 10. I tucked the front and deposited myself right in front of #271 exiting T10. I am grateful he was able to only hit my arm and hand, and am truly sorry that caused him to go down as well. I was trying too hard for positions early in the race and made a mistake that cost me and the rider behind me a good run, expensive bike parts, and earned some suffering for us both. I was not trying to stand up the outside bike, but I picked the wrong corner to see who would blink first.
    I particularly credit Rolker for letting me know much later that he and I were the only bikes in our class, and thanking me for the win. I had a handy lead and would have won my 3rd in a row if I had followed every bike in front of me patiently. I would have had 2nd place for F40L and the overall AM points lead if I had finished dead last. I'm pretty sure I'll be thinking of that often next round. Pride goeth before a fall, I hear.

So, 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, DNF on lap 1. I overshot the last one a bit. I came within a second of my PB after a year off on a cold weekend. And I met/re-met a bunch of good folks I'm looking forward to seeing next round. That's a win.

Thank you so much to Kurlon, nhbubba, and jasnmar for retrieving my bike and "loading" my trailer. I must say it looks just like it did when I got there Friday! The trailer that is, I think the bike looks better. Thanks Jim next door for helping me get my gear on and reminding me that it is of the utmost importance to be safe rather than not late. Is there anything worse than sweaty gloves after third call? Thanks to Mo for being a good pitmate, and bringing the whole garage average up with his good attitude and preparedness. Thanks to Brian for the close racing, gonna be fun next time dude. Whichever race you hit the cone inside T2 and I had to duck as it flew over me was epic. I was laughing like a loon at that, and jumping that chain on the line coming out of T12 (twice) was a seat clencher. Thanks to Josh for letting this rat into his lab for experiments of speed, and keeping me in fine fettle.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: It is the responsibility of the passer to make a clean safe pass. You need to show a wheel before tip in, have the speed to get by without endangering the passee, and not crash while attempting an inside pass.

I had two out of three.

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by carsick; 05-07-15 at 11:56 PM. Reason: chronological order fixage

Two wins! Not bad for an old man after a sabbatical! Congrats on getting your elbow down

Be glad the guy that ran over you didn't have a bunch of spikes sticking out of his tires.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't think you would have expected anything less. I'm glad you're back. You add more to the track environment than you take credit for.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

I hope you continue to ride the rest of the year just like your race reports. Finishing strongly.... after everyone else, especially me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If you had entered the AM Formula 40 Lights you would have beat me like a gong by finishing the first lap See you soon!

Awesome report by an awesome dude

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    If you had entered the AM Formula 40 Lights you would have beat me like a gong by finishing the first lap See you soon!
    I have a solid 10+ years before I'll be eligible for that race....

Last edited by makct04; 05-13-15 at 12:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12