Penguin Riding Newsletter Topic Suggestion Box

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

Penguin Riding Newsletter Topic Suggestion Box

Hey all,

As many of you know, Penguin puts out a free newsletter every month that gives updates onour events and discusses various riding topics. The "Penguin Riding Series" has touched on everything from body position to the use of the rear brake in the past year, and I'd love to hear from you guys regarding topics that you would like to read about in 2013. The forum is yours......

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Re: Penguin Riding Newsletter Topic Suggestion Box

what to expect your first weekend of racing could be good

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

First. I LOVE getting those letters.

Second. I'm a chicken when it comes to getting on the throttle. I think it stems from landing on the tank, feet in the air, coming out of t12 the first weekend on my new bike. What advise would you have for that? I have had the back slide a few times(up t4 mostly) and it really wasn't that bad, I'm just not comfortable with it yet.

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Maybe something about situations where rear brake usage can be beneficial and how to use it in those circumstances?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Love to have an article on 'how to practice or be prepared for situations that otherwise cause panic reactions'
    something like rapid braking, finding alternatives to your race line when someone steals it out from under you, finding the edge of traction and not the end of traction. Just spit balling.

Happy New Years!!

-Dana

Eric,

I'd like to learn how to feel for the limits of traction, front and rear, without losing control of the bike and suffering the consequences. Perhaps motocross riding is a prerequisite, where sliding the front and rear is much more commonplace. I have discussed this topic with a few veteran road racers and a frequent response is "... I don't have that problem - I'm a motocrosser."

Ben
    CCS/LRRS 130

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by travisb View Post
    Eric,

I'd like to learn how to feel for the limits of traction, front and rear, without losing control of the bike and suffering the consequences. Perhaps motocross riding is a prerequisite, where sliding the front and rear is much more commonplace. I have discussed this topic with a few veteran road racers and a frequent response is "... I don't have that problem - I'm a motocrosser."

Ben
    CCS/LRRS 130
    This is a frequent question I get....and there are definitely answers that we teach in the school.

It's tough to get rich in the motorcycle industry, but if I could invent a "grip-o-meter" that told you how close you were to the limit, that would do it. However, there are so many variables and inputs that determine availble grip that I don't think the "Grip-O-Meter" will ever become a reality. As a result, I try to exlpain to students how we consume traction, and then ask them to ask themselves if what I explain makes sense. We work on eliminating all the consumers of grip that are not necessary to go fast, and at the sime time strive to do the things that will let us feel the signals from the motorcycle when they are small & correctable. It takes work, and it takes time, but it is something that can be achieved by everyone. We will certainly be addressing those things again this season - please give me your feedback along the way. As everyone I work with strives to be a better rider, I am always striving to be a better teacher. The more feedback, the more I learn and the better I can refine my messages.

Keep the comments coming - I appreciate the requests.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    First. I LOVE getting those letters.

Second. I'm a chicken when it comes to getting on the throttle. I think it stems from landing on the tank, feet in the air, coming out of t12 the first weekend on my new bike. What advise would you have for that? I have had the back slide a few times(up t4 mostly) and it really wasn't that bad, I'm just not comfortable with it yet.
    I could write 1000 words on this one, but the real keys are found by combining two concepts - early and slow throttle application & completely relaxing on the bars. The first 25% of your throttle application should take as long as the remaining 75% in most cases....early and smooth are the key words - it corresponds directly with lean angle. My biggest mistake when I'm rushing to go fast is to muscle through the turn, wait too long to get on the gas, and then roll too quickly. Every time I work on turn precision, my drives imporve. The second thought is this - most high sides are caused more by handlebar input than throttle application. Riders don't get enough of the turn done before they get on the gas and as a result consume way too much grip by finishing the turn itself on the exit. Faster turn rates allow you to be much more relaxed on the bars on the way out because you have all of your grip to drive with.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    most high sides are caused more by handlebar input than throttle application. Riders don't get enough of the turn done before they get on the gas and as a result consume way too much grip by finishing the turn itself on the exit.
    ++++++++1111111
    fear and panic in set is. T4 is a good example. Blind rise and people are afraid because of the unknown. The left side of the track. Where is it? How far out is it?
    Getting comfortable with getting to the outside of a turn is something i practice on my daily commute.

On a curve what side you tend to hang onto?????
    The inside.
    WHY?
    It’s comfortable. Why?
    1. You see the line right below you.
    2. AND probably the biggest reason, there is plenty of room for corrections.

What I practice is building up my confidence and picking up my vision to reduce any tendency for corrections.
    I ride outside line of a curve.

Just watch cars and motorcycles every day. 99.9% of them out there will favor the inside. Break the habit and reduce your panic reaction of getting to the outside of your curves.

Another area people get hung up on is the T3 beach.
    Why? They are not comfortable with getting to the outside (Also some other things….) in fear that they will go into the tires or especially the dirt then they fixate on it.

Practice makes you, well comfortable in getting to the outside and reduces the tendency for you to “JUST” make that one little correction…. Slide ….FLIP…. Too late. In come Keria and Rob.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I love the news letter and generally read it a few times. The effort to make the letter is certainty appreciated. So for my suggestion I'd love to hear from an experienced racer what goes through your head during track riding. Let's say start from going over your personal checklist for you and your bike before you start it and roll out of the pits and then the first lap of the race. I guess I'm looking for an internal monolog. What are you thinking specifically as you are on the start line, entering turn 1, ect. Maybe this comes from me constantly talking to myself (sometimes aloud) while riding.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

There are definitely some generalities that I could cover.....although there are always different things that get focused on at each track, or even at the same track from weekend to weekend. There is mental rehersal that happens before every ride....and some mini goal setting as well. I assume that most everyone does this to some extent.

The real key is to have all the basics down (lines, body position, reference points, etc..) so that you have the mental capacity left to strategize, adapt and learn during the race. In order to be truly successful, racing must be proactive - not reactive.

"Holding the keys in your hands" is a really excellent article in Riding Series this month! Thanks for putting these together! - dana

-dana

LRRS NOV #358
    http://DucatiRacerChick.blogspot.com/

There's truth and charm and beauty
    And strangeness everywhere
    The closer we examine
    The more there's nothing there

We're working on a book...thanks for the feedback