Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Track Experience.. experience

My Track Experience.. experience

So I did the Track Experience this weekend and thought I would post up my experiences. Plus I'm bored at my in-laws' house, so you can enjoy my verbal diarrhea. This was the 2nd track day I've ever done, the first was more than 10 years ago (!) on my old Aprilia RS125.

Getting to the track

I don't have a truck, or a trailer, so I rode the VFR up. Left at about 5:30am, and got to the track a little after 7am. I was fucking soaked by the time I got there. Next time I am going to beg, borrow or steal a way to trailer this thing up. It also means I couldn't bring any tools other than the bike's toolkit.

Bike prep

Given I was on a street bike, I didn't do anything ahead of time. I was going to take the center stand off, but the mounting bolts are behind the headers and those bolts were rusted in place pretty good. When I got to the track, the Penguin guys said that I needed to tape over or disable the brake lights, and tape over or disable the headlights. I ended up disabling the rear brake ilghts (unclipped the electrical connectors) and taped over the headlights. They also said I had to tuck in or remove the mirrors, so I tucked them in. And, of course, took off the tank bag

After that I was good to go. The track had gas for sale -- Sunoco street gas ($3.89/gal) and Sunoco race gas ($9/gal). They had tires and stuff for sale too, but I didn't need any of that.

Instructors

The class instructors were Scotty Greenwood and Steve Fink. Scotty was a great instructor in the class room, and Steve was just as good on the track. There were several other on-track-only instructors as well. There were maybe 15 other people in the class, so the ratio was very good. Most of the in-class time was spent on safety, riding lines & markers, and body positioning.

Track time

The class was setup in roughly 15 minute class sessions, followed by 15 minute track sessions. The first session was a guided ride (3 laps) with instructors at low speed; the second session was a guided ride (3 laps) at regular speed followed by a couple of unguided laps. After that all the sessions were regular speed, but with instructors each time.

Although there was lots of time on the track, the weather was abysmal. It rained most of the day, and at times there was significant standing water on the track. It made a couple of the corners pretty interesting, but apart from the lessening available grip (especially on painted surfaces) it wasn't much of a hindrance.

Good bits

The two best pieces of advice I got from the instructors were, "you can learn a lot about riding in the rain by riding in the dry" and, "ride (the VFR) in 3rd gear only, and don't use the brakes". I cheated a little with the brakes, particularly entering turns 3, 11 and 12. Although the VFR is on the heavy side, it has more than enough torque to pull it around the track in only 3rd gear. I did a handful of laps using more gears and brakes, but to be honest it was more trouble (because of my inexperience) than it was worth.

For whatever reason, I found it relatively easy to take turns 3-4 and 6-7, probably because I was in a good place to see the instructors' lines during the guided laps. For the start of the day, I also found 11, 12 & 12A easy, but that didn't last...

Bad bits

For the first half of the day, I really struggled with turns 1 & 1A, as I never felt like I could see when to decelerate and when to start leaning the bike over. Steve took me out on a few guided laps and showed me very clearly where some good markers were -- notably the pink NASCAR timing box on the track -- and that really helped me there. By the end of the day I thought I had a pretty good handle on that part of the track.

The faster I went, though, the worse I did 11 through 12A. I would end up running way wide through 11, which would ruin my entry into 12 (and then 12A). Sometimes it was so bad that I had to drop a gear to turn in. Steve helped me out again and I got a better handle on this as well.

I also had a couple of excursions on to the grass. Early in the day I overran the entry to turn 1A, and early in the afternoon I overran the entry into 12A. Fortunately I realized my mistake early enough both times that I just slowed down, went straight, and didn't fall off. Two other guys had minor crashes (both low-sides I think) and were back on the track a few minutes after their mishaps.

Fortunately I didn't have any mishaps of my own, though I came close a few times. A couple of times when going up the hill into turn 4, it felt like the rear of the bike would slide out to the left ever so slightly. It was pretty easy to control though. The bigger problems were exiting turn 2, as I had a couple of issues there. If I was out of position, I would cross some of the painted lines on the track when I probably didn't have an appropriate lean angle. The rear tire broke loose a few times, including a bar-shaking fishtail when I was about 25 feet in front of an instructor. My sphincter clenched rather severely but I backed off the throttle enough and managed to stay on. As a newbie it certainly felt like a bigger moment than it really was

The biggest single problem I had was body positioning. Because the track was so wet, I was a little afraid of moving around on the bike too much lest I make the chassis upset and end up crashing. I'm sure I was over-thinking it, but Steve and Scotty said it was the single biggest thing I could do better. While I feel relatively comfortable sliding across the seat before corners, I had a tendency to twist my upper body to the point where I couldn't drop my knee towards the apex of the corner because my inner thigh on my outside leg was around the back of the tank. Once I started being cognizant of the twisting, I was able to point my knee towards the apex but I felt like I was getting off the bike less than when I was twisting. Again, I think this is a misperception on my part.

Bike reliability

The VFR performed very well, except for.. one thing. In the final session before lunch, the dash cluster went dead. The only thing that worked was the clock -- no speedometer, no tachometer, no multi-function display. I didn't realize it at the time, but the fuel pump went as well. The bike kept running (presumably it had enough vacuum), but when I went to start it after lunch it was dead as a dodo. It turns out that I blew a fuse that controls the dash (and, the fuel pump); with help from Scotty and Steve we diagnosed it pretty quickly and got it replaced.

The tires seemed to hold up pretty well too. I ran 30psi front and rear, and didn't have any complaints with handling.

Bike performance

I was really happy with the way the VFR ran. There was more than enough power to pull me around the track, particularly given I was in 3rd gear for almost all of the track. Once I had my tire pressures sorted I felt ample feedback for my skill level. During the drier parts of the day, during acceleration up the hill as I entered turn 4 I could feel the rear of the bike squat and the front end start to get a lot lighter. And during the wetter parts of the day, there was enough feedback to tell me when I was being ham-fisted on the throttle, even if I thought I was being particularly gentle.

Despite my lack of experience I felt like I was in control of the chassis (most of the time...) but the bike still had a lot in reserve. It was even pretty good on gas!

Ride home

As soon as I left to ride back to Mass., it started pissing down again. By the time I got home I was cold, wet and tired.

Next time

Did I mention I'm going to try and find a trailer? Because riding 1h45m home after 8+ hours at the track sucked monkey balls. I'd probably prep the bike ahead of time -- remove mirrors, disable lights, tape stuff up -- and hopefully remove the side-stand. Although I didn't come anywhere close to scraping it on the track, I could feel it wobbling back and forth underneath the bike at times. I should probably contemplate draining the coolant and going to something more track-friendly, too.

Of course, I could just buy a track-only bike...

BTW, big shout-out to NESR guy Mike with the CBR600F4i, who I met at the track. Didn't see any other NESR guys though!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: My Track Experience.. experience

I was there in garage 11 North. Bet if you asked around we were all spread out all over!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kumpy View Post
    I was there in garage 11 North. Bet if you asked around we were all spread out all over!
    Haha, thanks bud. I was probably too busy changing my underpants every time I thought I had a MotoGP-esque moment

Ah, brings back the feeling of my first track day! I ran 3rd gear all day after some advice from instructors, and I romped it! I took the Track experience class later with Scott and Steve, good folks with a ton of knowledge ( and patience!).
    Track days should just come with a track bike included to take home, you know you're hooked and gonna need one anyway.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

nice writeup, thanks

and yep, I also did my first track day in pouring rain...somehow you'd think that since you're pretty much sitting on your nuts, they won't get wet

but nope, the water pools there and penetrates even the thickest of teknic rain suits

surprisingly good amount of traction though

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-29-13 at 12:33 AM.

It was super wet out there. Glad to hear you had a good time despite the long day and rain. Were you the one on the red VFR? I was right beside you with the blue SV if so.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

Great write up. Your experience with Penguin staff matches mine. Scotty was superbly helpful on my day. Mine ended in a crash. I was supposed to sync up with him after that session. With me licking my wounds I lost track of him. After a while I loaded up the bike and took a walk to BS with friends I know up there. I was in center garage self medicating with Brian when Scotty pulled up on his moped. The guy tracked me down to finish our conversation about bike ergonomics and setup waaaay after hours. I was very impressed. Those guys are ridiculously dedicated to instructing and always seem ready to talk shop, even with clueless noobs like me.

What did you think of the passing rules? That was one of my concerns with the day; it was a bit hectic for me and I'm not sure I was entirely ready to be that close to other riders out there.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    The bigger problems were exiting turn 2, as I had a couple of issues there. If I was out of position, I would cross some of the painted lines on the track when I probably didn't have an appropriate lean angle. The rear tire broke loose a few times, including a bar-shaking fishtail when I was about 25 feet in front of an instructor. My sphincter clenched rather severely but I backed off the throttle enough and managed to stay on. As a newbie it certainly felt like a bigger moment than it really was
    I would call that a very big moment. Exiting T2 in the rain is where I crashed. I ham-fisted the throttle and the bike swung out and high-sided. Both ends had wobbled to some extent on earlier laps and I should have known better. I was blown away at how fast I went from "okay, I can handle this" to "wholey fuck I am on the ground".

Getting T2 right in the rain is definitely important, in my experience.

Good luck shopping for the track-only bike.
    Fortunately there seem to be plenty of good choices out there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    It was super wet out there. Glad to hear you had a good time despite the long day and rain. Were you the one on the red VFR? I was right beside you with the blue SV if so.
    Were you running tire warmers? If so I remember you. I was on the yellow VFR, the guy on the red VFR was named Pete. Not sure if he's on NESR or not!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    What did you think of the passing rules? That was one of my concerns with the day; it was a bit hectic for me and I'm not sure I was entirely ready to be that close to other riders out there.
    Most of the time I thought the rules were fine. The track is tighter and twistier than I'd anticipated (I'd never been there, and never even seen a race there) so there were a few times I was trapped behind a rider I didn't want to be behind and had to wait until the main straight to pass. I don't have the skills (or balls) to pass in corners. One thing I did realize is that you can't rely on the rider in front of you to know the correct lines. Because we're all beginners it's easy to get out of position if you're only following the guy in front of you!

There were a couple of times later in the day where I got passed by much faster groups when I was trying to set up for a corner; it distracted me temporarily but it was inevitable enough that I didn't really mind.

Good write up friend. I definitely enjoyed reading that as I too am contemplating my 1st track day sometime this year if my toddler and the newborn allow me some time to breathe. Good luck

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Good job making the best out of a rainy day! I was there as well, but spent most of the day wrenching in center garage 24. I did finally make it out on the track at 5PM!

There were a couple of times later in the day where I got passed by much faster groups when I was trying to set up for a corner; it distracted me temporarily but it was inevitable enough that I didn't really mind.
    Where you still out there after 5PM when it was "Open Swim"? If so you might have seen me go by on my Honda RS125. I had rain tires on so I could keep a quicker pace, and I did pass a few riders who I assumed where track experience riders. Doing so I did try to leave plenty of room, get it done quickly, and also wait for less "sketchy" areas to complete passes. I hope I wasn't the one distracting you too much in the corners!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Good job making the best out of a rainy day! I was there as well, but spent most of the day wrenching in center garage 24. I did finally make it out on the track at 5PM!

Where you still out there after 5PM when it was "Open Swim"? If so you might have seen me go by on my Honda RS125. I had rain tires on so I could keep a quicker pace, and I did pass a few riders who I assumed where track experience riders. Doing so I did try to leave plenty of room, get it done quickly, and also wait for less "sketchy" areas to complete passes. I hope I wasn't the one distracting you too much in the corners!
    Thanks for all the kind words! I actually usually enjoy riding in the rain when on the street (at least, until my socks get wet) so the weather didn't bother me too much. I was one of the first riders out in the "open swim" part of the day that happened at about 3pm, and I got maybe two dozen laps in before I came in looking for an instructor.

Is your RS125 in Army colors? I saw at least one RS125 that day, but not sure if it was yours or not. I don't think I saw you out on the track as I left a little after 5pm. I would remember being passed by a two-stroke because I love the smell

Next time

Did I mention I'm going to try and find a trailer? Because riding 1h45m home after 8+ hours at the track sucked monkey balls. I'd probably prep the bike ahead of time -- remove mirrors, disable lights, tape stuff up -- and hopefully remove the side-stand. Although I didn't come anywhere close to scraping it on the track, I could feel it wobbling back and forth underneath the bike at times. I should probably contemplate draining the coolant and going to something more track-friendly, too.

Of course, I could just buy a track-only bike...

BTW, big shout-out to NESR guy Mike with the CBR600F4i, who I met at the track. Didn't see any other NESR guys though!
    Chris, thanks for the shout out it was great meeting you as well, I agree with everything you said great day even with the rain. Although I could have done without getting stuck in traffic on 93 in the pouring rain on the way home. A trailer/truck is def on the to do list for next years budget

That sounds like Harlan Hilderbrand's 125 if it's the one with machine guns painted on the side. He's a fast kid on that thing!

Mine's blue and yellow, but you were probably off the track by time I made it out there.

I was bummed that I was trying to track down an elusive noise coming from the motor instead of riding, because I actually enjoy riding in the rain. The change of perspective helps in learning to be faster both on a dry or wet track.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Good bits

The two best pieces of advice I got from the instructors were, "you can learn a lot about riding in the rain by riding in the dry"
    I think you might have this part backwards. "you can learn a lot about riding in the dry by riding in the rain"

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post

I heard about this "open swim" and I'm kinda pissed I missed it having to work cause I love riding in the rain.

Does anyone have video from the day? There was a rider with a black lid and white suit with a GoPro on his helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I think you might have this part backwards. "you can learn a lot about riding in the dry by riding in the rain"
    No no.. I got this right! I have the brown underpants to prove it.

Please don't look at my foot positioning.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Track Experience.. experience-hk5c1396-copy-jpg  

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

....it looks like it's about to slip off.

However, there are lots of good things in the photo as well. Hopefully we see you up there again this year and you can get a nice dry day out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    ....it looks like it's about to slip off.

However, there are lots of good things in the photo as well. Hopefully we see you up there again this year and you can get a nice dry day out there!
    If you want to make me feel better, please point out some of the good things

As I mentioned in my first post, my body positioning wasn't great as I had a tendency to twist instead of moving laterally on the seat. That's what ends up making my foot turn out like that. Once I consciously pushed myself back away from the tank (I normally sit with my nuts hitting it ), it was a lot easier!

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

1. You're off the seat
    2. Even though you are a little twisted, the majority of your body weight is inside the center line of the bike.....also good. Many riders have the "wrong side head" syndrome, and you do not.
    3. You are looking ahead

Get on the ball of your foot, bury your outside knee on the tank and relax your inner arm.....you're not as far away as you think.

Lifer

I was duck footed for almost all of my first day out there as well. It wasn't until they started talking body position later in the day that I realized how bad my foot position was.

Summary: It happens.

I am told that tank gripper pads help with confidence hanging off as well. I have a set that need to go on my SV before my next time out.

please point out some of the good things
    You are on a motorcycle, which you are riding upon a racetrack. Many people have never had that much fun in their sad lives. Revel in it! Improvement comes with practice, and that's the kind of drudgery we can all look forward to

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

correct foot position really helps make getting the rest of your body position right much easier

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

And reduces fatigue.

I'm far from a body position maven, but am relatively good at making people feel good about themselves.

Me from a "similar" spot on the track.

My Track Experience.. experience-img_0588-jpg

If I were critiquing myself, 3 (primary) things (and opinions from others more than welcome).
    1. Get my effing head down.
    2. Get my ass back in the saddle.
    3. Push up with my offside foot driving my knee into the tank.

From my uninformed perspective, in that order.

I don't know nearly enough to critique you.

Have fun. Learn. I'm pretty sure in that order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast