Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Waxed Cotton Gear

Lifer

Waxed Cotton Gear

I’ve got Merlin Yoxall jacket and Hulme pants on the way.

Anyone with some experience with waxed cotton gear?

YOXALL WAX JACKET OLIVE | Quality Motorcycle Clothing and Accessories

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Waxed Cotton Gear

Had never heard of that before.

Found this using the Google. Seems to hold up relatively well

Anyone been down in waxed cotton? | Adventure Rider

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Thanks,

It’s not a substitute for my leather Vanson jacket, but more of a cold weather option to extend the season (and start earlier)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Mother Nature did it best.
    I’m intrigued to see how you like it. It certainly is better looking (although in the same vein) as a belstaff, with some more modern appointments,it looks.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Blast from the past, all dirt riders in the 1970's had them from England

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Blast from the past, all dirt riders in the 1970's had them from England
    Yes, I lived in waxed cotton gear 'way back in the '60s. Belstaff or Barbour from England, had many expanding pockets, buckles, snaps, belted ... jacket and pants, totally waterproof and you could repair and re-wax them. I'd melt the wax and brush it on, then stick the jacket in the oven to get it soaked in. On warmer days in the sun, the wax would soften ... and smell, but once you had a good layer of dirt going on, the fabric would take on a bit of a gloss.

Yes, I can smell it now ... thanks for the memory ...

Last edited by whynot; 01-19-19 at 12:45 PM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

I like the waxed cotton for bad weather; I use it for raingear and strong cold (below 40F [5C]).
    It's tough enough to last well and hold up, but I don't count on it for crash protection; I wear my leather jacket under the Belstaff duster.
    That's a little cumbersome, but if I'm wearing the Belstaffs, it's usually wet and/or cold enough that I want the extra layers anyway.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 01-19-19 at 11:14 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

I’m not planning on leather underneath, but I tend to fall between L and XL and prefer roomier so I went XL.

If this kit keeps me comfortable and not feeling overstuffed when temps are 35f and above, it’be a win.

Lifer

I have a bunch of Barbour stuff. Works a treat. There is upkeep however. They can be sent back and recoated or you can try to do it yourself. Everything tends to wear rapidly on edges and corners. I do like it though.

Lifer

Jacket should arrive tomorrow, pants on the 28th.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Been eyeing Kuhl

M'S ARKTIK™ JACKET

although not motorcycle.

Last edited by nt650hawk; 01-23-19 at 10:23 AM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I picked up a Vanson Stormer wax cotton using dollars from contingency to get the price down to something more reasonable. Stormer Trials Black Wax Cotton Motorcycle Jacket

I picked it up on a whim and used it in Sturgis a couple years back. It was a great jacket for the abrupt changeable weather. The hot-cold, sun-rain weather that changed every few hours. It is just like a modern shell jacket. You need to use it with layers so it can pull multiple duty. The jacket was light, had more performance than expected, and was comfortable in a range of conditions that did include getting caught in the rain. It somehow kept me warm on cold mornings, yet not overheat as the day warmed up. It really impressed me. It's no GoreTex but it's not far from it. It's 100% about style. Let's face it. There are modern materials that have replaced this stuff. BUT if you are riding a retro bike you might as well go for the retro clothing. It does add to that same experience. Seriously that jacket now has dust from Sturgis stuck to its wax and it collects memories much like a bike you ride. I can see why moto writer Peter Egan mentioned his wax cotton so often in his articles in Cycle World.

This jacket has no armor. If you want the same jacket with armor check out Union Garage in NYC. Vanson makes the same design jacket for them but they added crash protection to it. Union Garage NYC | Union Garage Robinson Jacket - Jackets

One thing to know about wax cotton garments. They smell oily. You have to leave them in the garage. This jacket never has that smell disappear. The warmer the jacket the more it wreaks. When the jacket is cold it does stiffen up and feels like it is frozen. If you ride a vintage bike you have a lot of options now for vintage gear. The stuff lasts forever with re-treatment of wax.

Send cash... I need a track day

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    I picked up a Vanson Stormer wax cotton using dollars from contingency to get the price down to something more reasonable. Stormer Trials Black Wax Cotton Motorcycle Jacket

I picked it up on a whim and used it in Sturgis a couple years back. It was a great jacket for the abrupt changeable weather. The hot-cold, sun-rain weather that changed every few hours. It is just like a modern shell jacket. You need to use it with layers so it can pull multiple duty. The jacket was light, had more performance than expected, and was comfortable in a range of conditions that did include getting caught in the rain. It somehow kept me warm on cold mornings, yet not overheat as the day warmed up. It really impressed me. It's no GoreTex but it's not far from it. It's 100% about style. Let's face it. There are modern materials that have replaced this stuff. BUT if you are riding a retro bike you might as well go for the retro clothing. It does add to that same experience. Seriously that jacket now has dust from Sturgis stuck to its wax and it collects memories much like a bike you ride. I can see why moto writer Peter Egan mentioned his wax cotton so often in his articles in Cycle World.

This jacket has no armor. If you want the same jacket with armor check out Union Garage in NYC. Vanson makes the same design jacket for them but they added crash protection to it. Union Garage NYC | Union Garage Robinson Jacket - Jackets

One thing to know about wax cotton garments. They smell oily. You have to leave them in the garage. This jacket never has that smell disappear. The warmer the jacket the more it wreaks. When the jacket is cold it does stiffen up and feels like it is frozen. If you ride a vintage bike you have a lot of options now for vintage gear. The stuff lasts forever with re-treatment of wax.
    Thanks,

The bike's not vintage, except in style (Honda CB1100EX).

The rider is definitely vintage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    Been eyeing Kuhl

M'S ARKTIK™ JACKET

although not motorcycle.
    That is a sharp looking jacket. does Kuhl spec it for general wear, or is it skiing, hiking appropriate?

Lifer

This stuff works great in the cold, took the CB1100 out today, local temp about 36.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waxed Cotton Gear-464cb80e-635e-43de-af68-3ab293edcfd7  

I have a vanson waxed cotton jacket. I love the look and feel of it, plus in really blocks ALL wind. So even though it's not insulated, it's a great chilly weather jacket.

Paul_E_D