Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

VT loop hole is no longer!

Re: VT loop hole is no longer!

Can you have 2 drivers licenses?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I'm looking into this deeper. My neighbor is stuck in this right now and I've been told by a few others it's true. Apparently it's a tax thing. Mass wants the taxes you missed while it was registered in Vermont. So they will issue the buyer with a reg but you as the seller must pay all associated taxes or they won't process tye title meaning the buyer has a big problem. The same appears to be true if you are transferring to yourself. The way out is to prove your a vt resident with a driver's license only. Bills and mail aren't excepted. So it comes down to money. In the case of my neighbor his $60k airstream that he sold that gas always been on a vt reg means he has a monstrous tax and penalty bill he has to pay before they issue a new title to the buyer who has already taken possession of the camper. Talking like a 5 digit bill.
    Well this is news. I suppose I'll be keeping my 250s until I die or they do.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I'm looking into this deeper. My neighbor is stuck in this right now and I've been told by a few others it's true. Apparently it's a tax thing. Mass wants the taxes you missed while it was registered in Vermont. So they will issue the buyer with a reg but you as the seller must pay all associated taxes or they won't process tye title meaning the buyer has a big problem. The same appears to be true if you are transferring to yourself. The way out is to prove your a vt resident with a driver's license only. Bills and mail aren't excepted. So it comes down to money. In the case of my neighbor his $60k airstream that he sold that gas always been on a vt reg means he has a monstrous tax and penalty bill he has to pay before they issue a new title to the buyer who has already taken possession of the camper. Talking like a 5 digit bill.
    Sounds more like a tax lien, title exempt situation. I think Ma is going to have a hard time with that legally in the future.

I had always thought campers were tax exempt as well, though that could also only be an RI thing.

Just as an FYI, I bought my R7 with a Ma prior registration and no title, and had no issues registering and titling it in RI.

Yamaha

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    .....Just as an FYI, I bought my R7 with a Ma prior registration and no title, and had no issues registering and titling it in RI.
    what year is the R7? I know the RI title laws just changed 01/01/24, but previously they didn't issue titles for model year 2000 or older.... I had misplaced one of my pre 2000 car titles and wanted a new copy, they told me NOPE, we don't do that for pre 2000...

Need to head up to the DMV and see if I can get a copy under the new law.....

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    what year is the R7? I know the RI title laws just changed 01/01/24, but previously they didn't issue titles for model year 2000 or older.... I had misplaced one of my pre 2000 car titles and wanted a new copy, they told me NOPE, we don't do that for pre 2000...

Need to head up to the DMV and see if I can get a copy under the new law.....
    RI title law just changed again starting 01/01/2024. Now all vehicles need a title. There’s a form you can fill out to get a title for a previously non titled vehicle, takes about 2-3 weeks.
    When I checked a few weeks ago, there was also wording on the website stating prior proof of ownership (registration) can be used to get a title.
    The R7 is a 1999. I applied for a vanity plate, and because my registration number would change, I need to apply for a title before the vanity plate would be issued.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Anyone looking into tribal registrations? That seems like it would be untapped and even untouchable potential if possible.

According to USPS tracking, all my title transfer documents arrived at the county's PO Box in Rapid City, South Dakota on Friday, 4/26. Their offices are actually closed on Fridays. I received an email this morning around 7am my time (9am in SD) that the documents were received and to call to process payment. I spent roughly 10min on hold and an additional 5 min to confirm all fees due, my mailing address, and to give my CC info. Plate and registration will be in tomorrow's mail and I should get them next week.

I was charged for SD sales tax, title transfer fee, registration fee, plate postage fee, and a credit card processing fee. This totaled $84. If I read their registration fee table correctly, I anticipate the yearly registration fee to be around $16 per year for this motorcycle. In comparison, my other Triumph Tiger cost me $160 in registration alone this year here in the state of CA. In fact, all my registered bikes cost a minimum of $150/year now in CA. Thinking I should change them to SD now that I know the process...

Just check to make sure CA won't prosecute you for dodging taxes if you switch your other registrations to SD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12