Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is the Futura a good bike?

Lifer

Re: Is the Futura a good bike?

Great pic.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    But I really wanted newer and money is spent here on motorcycles and very little else so off I went to the Kawasaki dealer and bought an H2 SX SE. The one with the adaptive cruise. Let me tell you about adaptive cruise on a sport touring bike. That clip-ons feel low after being stuck behind a long line of cars doing 50mph on a double yellow. Put on the adpative cruise and you sit up and let the radar keep pace while you steer with you finger tip or weight shift while sitting straight up. Brilliant!
    Attachment 60862
    Wait a minute, you get stuck behind cars on a double yellow? just kidding

Tell me more about the H2 SX SE! I don't care about the tech but how's that motor and handling?? I could very well see that supercharged sport tourer in my garage someday.

The H2 SX SE is the modern version of the Aprilia Futura, right down to its weird bodywork and looks. After having the Ape for a short time the first ride on the H2 SX had me smiling. Yes! This is the bike I am looking for. The 2022+ has a thicker seat for more padding and more comfort. The 22+ also has the adaptive cruise, which as I mentioned above, is a god send when you get stuck in normal traffic and you want to sit up and let the technology keep pace. Becoming a passenger for a bit is welcome for the older backs and arms. The best feature of the bike is its Kawi Ninja handling. (notice I didn't mention the supercharger) Yes that tip in and line holding manner of the big bike is legendary Ninja stuff. It just holds its line and handles bumps mid corner without being upset like a pure sports/track oriented bike. Bury the thing into a corner and scrape the toe on your boot while railing through New Englands shitty back roads is what this bike does really well. All while holding two side cases big enough for full face helmets. Heated grips, and bars just above the triple clamps are nods to the street ability of this bike. The dash is great with its ability to house REVER app map software through your phone. Yes its not car play but its close.

So I love these features of the bike and haven't talked about its motor. Sure the "SuperCharged" stamped cover plate over the supercharger is a tell tale that this isn't an ordinary mill. The bike makes its power very linear with a boost up top that shoves you forward like the launch from the old Battlestar Galactica scene. It is very usable but it does require a down shift to tap that top end boost as the bottom end of the rpm is really a normal 1000cc push. Need to pass quickly? This big heavy bike can pass a line of Harley's like they are standing still. But those guys/gals all held up a number 1 sign as I past them all recognizing I was number 1 in their eyes. Sure the motor can produce nearly 200bhp and on a stock bike ECU flash the bike puts out over 230bhp while increasing the drive down low in the rpms without any mods. (removing the epa tuning is a must for more mid range power) One last comment on the motor. The blow off valve of the bike at full boost and a closing of the throttle is an instant mood enhancer. YT videos do not do it justice. I know John Burns of the old MO.com said it was the sound of angles wings fluttering. Poetic description of pure aural joy. I wish there were a way to make it insanely loud like a diesel truck. I'd do it. LOL

Lastly is the weight. The Futura and the H2 SX SE feel like they weigh the same. The Ape feels more top heavy although its supposed to be nearly 50lbs lighter. The H2 weight actually works for the bike as a sports tourer. It smooths out the pavement by having Newton's Second Law work in your favor. That mass doesn't want to be bounced around and the Electronic Suspension does a superb job sucking up the imperfections that would normally bounce an R1 or RSV off line. It really is the best feature of this bike. That mass makes for an all day comfort sporting ride. Tires on mine are the Michelin Road 6's. They are much better than the original Stones that wore quickly, got square and handled poorly.

I personally don't care for the styling all that much. Yet I love riding the bike. It has presense that is polarizing. But there is no mistaking what it is. A missle of a sport touring bike that delivers the goods.

Is the Futura a good bike?-img_2665-jpg

Send cash... I need a track day

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12