Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Ready to Race

Re: Ready to Race

I cannot wait to see the monday morning race report from her. This thread is far from dead. JRO is correct. Get the best gear you can afford. Street, trackdays, or racing. It doesn't matter. No matter what you choose if you stick with 1. Personal Safety 2. Handling. 3. Horsepower... In that order you will be alright. Let us know what you do. This is what a forum is about. Someone asks a question. We toss it around with a few insults. You take the best and throw out the rest or even save some for later in case. Hopefully we have been helpful.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I, personally, love how these threads run away like this. It IS great entertainment.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by palanon View Post
    This is my suggestion on a schedule if you really want to fast track it to racing. The first two race weekends are only separated by about two weeks. So, patience is what I suggest, young grasshopper.

4/23 - Penguin's first event. If possible, come to watch. Go to riders meeting, see how the schedule works how they do tech, basic stuff. Tell Eric you'll be taking the class. He may agree to let you come out to #3/10 split with me. You'll learn a lot from that.

4/24-4/25 - LRRS Rd. #1 - Don't just hang out. Spend some time on upper pit. Watch how pre-grid, grid, boards and starts are done. Plenty of time in each corner.

4/27-4/28 BostonMoto - If you can, do both days. Once you get out there, your going to see that there's a lot more to track riding than you thought. Day one learning the lines, brake markers, gear, throttle, etc. Day two is applying the overload of info from day one and finding a groove.

5/12 - Tony's - Good classroom sessions. Go to all of them. Grab Gino for 1 on 1 instruction. Gino knows racing. Especially on Hawks. He's a really nice guy and I heard he may have got on the podium once or twice.

5/14 - Penguin - Do it. Pay attention. Love it. Be careful during the afternoon open practice part of the day. Remember, It's a long weekend. The object of the game is to load up the bike on Sunday in basically the same shape it was unloaded on Friday morning.

5/15-5/16 - LRRS - Rookie Race is not a race. Just do your 3 laps, wave to the adoring fans and corner workers and forget about it. Keep your head screwed on straight, do your races and bask in the glow of your freshly minted race licence.

Rinse and repeat.

Thanks dude,

That was really helpful. I am hoping I can get those days off from work.
    I work weekends. They might not be to happy . . . Oh well this is a lot more important.

Ya I've met Gino before seen his hawk Henry really nice guy, and from what I have he's heard fast. I also know him from the hawk forum. He told me what to do when choosing a bike.

If you can keep me posted on anything that's coming up that would be useful or informational on racing. That would be killer. I will definitely go (well if works lets me off)

Tar practice.

However you choose to do it, street, open practice or track days, get something under your belt before you go racing.

That is my only contribution.

Going from dirt to racing? Well, the first time she tries to stay upright and push a motorcycle around under her, she'll break in her leathers and hopefully not break anything else.

And yeah, slow down for 4, if you want someone trying to drive out of 3 to plant themselves firmly in your ass. I don't even race and I can already tell you need a humbling faceplant on the track like most of the rest of us have had.

Original

Attachment 19270

That is all...

Quote Originally Posted by FAST GSXR750 View Post
    You started this thread by asking for advice ,but it seems like you have already made up your mind as to what you are going to do. You don't ask for advice on road racing and then tell everybody that they are wrong because you know how to ride a dirt bike. They are two different styles of bike. Next you're gonna say you got a turbo Busa' as a first bike. Stop wasting everybody's time,if you know everything already go race! Just let me know when and where so i can get pictures. JMO best of luck!
    Um ya if actually knew how to read, you might understand that I was responding to 6 fingered. Saying atleat I've been on a bike. I know how to stop, go and shift. Ya i figured that a street would be different from dirt. Well from what everyone's been telling me. its different. I don't know never ridden a street bike. And it also was in a joking matter. Not meant to be taking too seriously. Go get a fucking sense of humor.

And I have NEVER once in this thread said someone was wrong. I Don't know what the FUCK i am doing out there, so that is why i am posting.
    I've posted back to people about how that they are right and I should do that. And that would definitely help me. Like everyone has been saying i need experience before i get on the track. And YOU think I am disagreeing with everyone. Again read shit, think, then post.

Thank you everyone for being helpful to me. And giving me dates to places and races i should attend before actually going out there on my bike. I Don't mind waiting. I would rather go out and know what i am doing then tell everyone that is trying to help me and say fuck off, I am way smarter than you i can figure it out.

And from everyone's advice, I am planning on getting on the bike that I just bought, that is already set up for street, and go out and just ride. get some miles under me. The Last fucking thing i wanna do, is go out on the track not knowing what I am doing and injure another rider. And Obviously if Penguin
    doesn't think I am ready to do a race they will NOT give me my race license.

I've posted and asked for advice because i wanted to see what other people have done. And what they're backgrounds were coming into the sport. I like getting advice. But for my situation, it is better for me to just get experience handling a street bike. Like everyone has been telling me . . .

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Yup. Go get some experience on the street first. Learning how to watch out for the cell phone talkers, left hand turn takers, sand, oil, dogs, cops and even other motorcyclists. Then after you have this under your belt and if you didn't wreck, go the a penquin or track day so all the bad habits you learned can be used.........Go to penquin, treat it as a trackday cause that is what it is, stay after school to learn how to grid and a couple of extra flags, get in two more practices Saturday morning, and if you feel that your up to it go out and do the rookie race. If you don't feel confident to do the RR then do some extra assignments. Like TTD's or BMTD's........ Man, we got someone who wants to race and I think we should be building confidence and not scaring them away.
    Thank man,
    Ya it's kind of hard to scare me actually. More people try to scare me the more i wanna do it.
    How long do you think I should wait until i do a track day? Or does it just depend on how comfortable i am, and if i didn't wreck?
    This might be to much to ask I don't know where you live but it would be nice to go riding around with someone other than my boyfriend. He Will help but i want more advice from different people. They might see soemthing Andy might miss . . but i doubt he will No Offense Andy.

I say get a 1198 and have at it

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    crouching tiger, hidden mondos

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Tar practice.

However you choose to do it, street, open practice or track days, get something under your belt before you go racing.

That is my only contribution.
    Good Contribution!!!
    Thanks dude. I will definitely get experience under my belt, before i go race.
    Kid

Last edited by onefootedkid; 03-01-10 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    at the very least take a few rides on the street to familiarize yourself a little with some of the differences between a dirt bike and street bike. After a few rides if you still really want to ride on the track go to a trackday. when you get there talk to one of the people in charge and tell them you are really new at this and make sure someone takes you around. I think 1 on 1 attention with a coach/control rider will help a lot. Those guys are there to help and they do it because they like helping people ride the track, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem with any of the groups that run in NH to get some personal attention.

and its turn 3 you slow down a bunch for, not 4. I can see how you get that number though cause 1a/b are a left right combo which in my opinion should really be called 1 and 2. watching video helps but only so much, once you've actually ridden there you'll see so much more in the videos that you never would have noticed before.
    If i haven't done the school yet, the coaches will still help me?? Will it cost me anything? Sorry dump question but i thought i would ask. Iam tight on money.

As far as waiting to do a td, Get into an intro program. It can last the whole day if you want, or just the first couple sessions. I've seen very timid riders doing an intro that get worlds better with some coaching.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

all the trackday organizers have 'instructors' and 'control riders' that will lead you around, follow you and talk to you between sessions about what they see

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    already having some dirt experience will help immensely. you already know what it feels like to have a squirelly rear end (nh). and i'll assume you've crashed a few times offroad, so you'll have less jitters too. just don't try to ride a streetbike like a dirtbike, and you'll do fine.
    HAha alright good to know. Knowing my dumb ass might try that until I realized it didn't work. Ya I've had a bunch of falls.
    6 Figured man gave me tips on turning a street bike. And thank god he did. I would be so fucked, if he didn't

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Fingered Man View Post
    Never mind.... Misinterpreted...
    Andy I have always listened to you when it came to racing.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    this thread makes me lol

There's some good advice in this thread. I started racing with about 4 months of street riding experience, on a 600. While I did pretty well and stuff, I also crashed 14 times (give or take) in my first three years. Crashing sucks, and it costs a lot. Luckily I've never taken out another rider or ended up seriously injured but still, it could have been avoided. Use your judgment, don't feel like you're being told you're wrong to go straight to racing its just a LOT to learn with a pretty narrow margin of error, with some pretty high stakes at risk.

The reason people suggest doing TD's and getting a lot of street riding in first is because racing a motorcycle WILL overload your brain. Ideally the track layout, bike's controls, and function of them should be second nature so you don't have to use any of your brain even thinking about them. This allows your ENTIRE concentration to focus on racing. Trackdays allow you to learn the track and how to ride your bike on a very advanced level. Racing allows you to take that knowledge and learn how to compete. It can be done, but learning advanced riding techniques and learning to compete at the same time can be tough and/or dangerous.
    Thanks dude, reading this was a breath of fresh air. Really helpful. I decided a while back after 6fingured said i had no street bike experience, and everyone said get miles under your belt. And i agreed. I Changed my mind about just doing track days then racing. When my bike gets in (its already set up for street) Ill be on it everyday, unless it snows or rains.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I've got a set of leathers, but if you are 160, I don't think they will fit ya.
    No I am ten pounds lighter than that. probably more. . .I am 5'5 5'6. Would they fit?

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Holy train wreck...

Anyway, I know the kid. My $ says she'll do ok racing. As for TDs before Penguin, I get it, but at the same time a lot of people went straight to racing without any TDs. I'm one of them, and even though I'm really freaking slow - I do pretty well for novice proddy twins. I was suck squared on a street bike - ask 6 or gaborio. Bad habits just need to be broken - why not learn right from the start? Won't Penguin say no if she's not safe?
    And again - I think she's going to cakewalk penguin and race just fine.

I may have missed something but I thought the point of this was trying to source some gear and getting some pointers, not "gee, I have no road experience so tell me how much I'll suck at road racing".

Look, she's gonna be racing ULSB, not proddy twins. That means she'll be taking out 6, not me. Get em kid!
    Thanks DAn, I love you.
    That was the original posting.
    Is all this crap I am getting because I am Chick??

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    I think confidence is not the issue here- she has said flat out that she's got it. We all just want to help, and suggesting she do some more track days can only improve her performance, not hinder it!! And all the advice in here....its what we generally give every new rider. So please, no bruised egos, it's not like that Though I agree street riding is not the advice I would necessarily give, learning the controls and bike on a closed track may be the best solution.

About leathers- I def recommend checking out the Vanson showroom floor. They have a seconds rack and I scored a major deal on my suit there. I was lucky to find a tiny dude's drag suit, had armor put in it and its serviced me well 3 seasons now and through two crashes ((and the best part? I got the thing dirt cheap- I'm talking $450)) Kid- make sure you get all the proper armor- elbows, knees, back protector, and hips and chest if you can spring the cash for it. You won't regret it.

About boots- I race and street ride in the a* stella boot, like them so much I own two pairs now. Comfortable and nearly no evidence of damage (despite two crashes)

About helmets- BUY THE RIGHT SIZE- I raced the first two seasons in a helmet two sizes to large...and it was a small!!! Buy a helmet that has interchangeable pads so you may upgrade to thicker padding to fit your head if needs be. I ride Arai and love it, top end quality for sure.
    Thank JRO,

Girl $450 is cheap, everything I've been looking at is in the $800's. Yikes!
    I wasn't sure what to get for boots, But i did look at those. I'll go find a place try them on, find the right size, then find somewhere where they are cheaper.
    Thanks for the gear advice!
    If you hear of anything up for sale, if can let me know. ill check out the Vanson show room. See what they got. Money going to be tight this season.
    Again thank you
    Kid

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

there's Richie!!!

Vanson usually has used suits in the 4-500 range. I'd give that a serious look. And look in their bargain bin, there's always goodies in there.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Kid,

I have A* boots. I love them lots. Got them from Noel here on the forum. I'd suggest asking him to order you the same ones he ordered me. He might still be running his "show me your tits and stuff costs less" special - unless my tits scarred that deal right out of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    YA thats RIGHT!!

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Kid,

I have A* boots. I love them lots. Got them from Noel here on the forum. I'd suggest asking him to order you the same ones he ordered me. He might still be running his "show me your tits and stuff costs less" special - unless my tits scarred that deal right out of existence.
    HAHA nice Dan, Way to go. . .
    Dude you know Ill show my boobs for a deal. Exceptionally when it comes to bike stuff. And my tits look good..

Last edited by onefootedkid; 03-01-10 at 04:58 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast