Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

new bike - mini MX!

Re: new bike - mini MX!

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post

what sumo rim/tire setup are you running on the X4 in the pic?

sweet pics!
    I ran the Bridgestone BT601 tires in for most of my mini-motard racing in the standard YSR sizes. The big tire does fit the back of the X4. That was a great tire for the summer months as they gripped like mad with just a bit of heat in them. They even had decent wet grip during the summer. The 601's were terrible at Cycles 125 in the cold and felt like riding on ice. I'd run some cheap street compound tires in the cold like a Pirelli SL26 or SL36. Most people run Michelin race tires at the real tracks. They were always sold out anytime I looked for them.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 10-31-09 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
    I'm either going to ride the pitbike on my mini track or take the YZ down to Franklin. Seth, If you want to ride minis this afternoon, post here by 11:15. I'll pm you my phone number.

Eddie
    Thanks for the offer man, I am out today as its my girls bday and we are havin some people over. I was going to try to ride the big bike or mini tomorrow perhaps.

Typeone- I was wondering the same thing with oil, Kurlon told me just not to use any of the oils with that energysaving seal thing on the bottle. I ended up putting motorcycle mobil1 10w-40 in my mini last week.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    Typeone- I was wondering the same thing with oil, Kurlon told me just not to use any of the oils with that energysaving seal thing on the bottle. I ended up putting motorcycle mobil1 10w-40 in my mini last week.
    thanks. i'll have to look at the 10W40 semi-syn 4-stroke off-road oil i use in the Husky, not sure if it has that energy saving seal you mention. hoping i can just use the same stuff, works great in the big bike.

Beta 200RR

Post up if you guys ride big bikes in the woods tomorrow. My mini-track is best when it hasn't rained for 2 days or more as there are a few roots that I haven't removed yet. I don't mind wet trails on the YZ though.

A decomp setup will make kicking your mini over easier, otherwise not much you can do to lower the compression without killing perf.

If you're worried about breaking the cases, treat it like a big 450. Roll it over lightly to compression with the lever, then tap it just past TDC, you'll feel it start to get easier to move. Bring the kick starter all the way up, and forcefully kick it down all the way in one motion. It should fire within 3 kicks, usually the first. Unless you've gone to an IRK and no sling you'll have enough flywheel weight that it won't kick back. The only times it should do that is if you don't get a full kick on it or you're not starting from just past TDC.

OK, thanks for the info on tires and starting/decomp. btw, it has a steel slinger thats been lightened

next question, i was surprised that this motor didnt have an oil cooler setup, is it needed? i'm all for mods that can help the motor live longer but maybe its overkill for my setup (?)

Last edited by typeone; 11-01-09 at 10:29 AM.
    Beta 200RR

What days can you ride Seth? We could probably get Bahavesh to bring his XR too.
    Post up if you guys ride big bikes in the woods tomorrow. My mini-track is best when it hasn't rained for 2 days or more as there are a few roots that I haven't removed yet. I don't mind wet trails on the YZ though.
    sounds awesome!

unfortunately I'm on complete lock down until Dec 14th for school

all the fun riding happens when I can't go riding

will that course be too small for an XR200R? I don't have the 80 anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    next question, i was surprised that this motor didnt have an oil cooler setup, is it needed? i'm all for mods that can help the motor live longer but maybe its overkill for my setup (?)
    I've never bothered with one on my motors. I don't like the oil tap plate design as it keeps pressure from the head for too long at startup, and you don't get a huge amount of flow through that circuit anyways.

rode my mini today for the first time in dirt/deep sand...holy crap it was sketchy! haha, I think I'm gonna pick up some real mx tires, mine have really lo-pro knobs on them that don't do shit. Was fun as hell though

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I've never bothered with one on my motors. I don't like the oil tap plate design as it keeps pressure from the head for too long at startup, and you don't get a huge amount of flow through that circuit anyways.
    great feedback, just what i wanted to know, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    rode my mini today for the first time in dirt/deep sand...holy crap it was sketchy! haha, I think I'm gonna pick up some real mx tires, mine have really lo-pro knobs on them that don't do shit. Was fun as hell though
    my knobs are pretty good but i'm also curious how better tires will work, just have some chinese brand on there now, forget the name but i chuckled. the wheel size feels crazy compared to a big bike too! corners really well though.

i was teaching my wife how to use a clutch on it over the weekend. after she would putt around, did pretty good actually!, i would need to rip around the yard for a few laps. started drifting out the rear end, hahaaa! grass is SLIPPERY, so much fun.

cant wait to ride that thing over better obstacles, so happy i picked it up

Beta 200RR

Dunlop D756s worked for me, much better than the itty bitty knobbed Kenda Millviles many pit machines ship with. Innova makes a set of absolutely HUGE (for a pitbike) knobbies if you want something REALLY big.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Dunlop D756s worked for me, much better than the itty bitty knobbed Kenda Millviles many pit machines ship with. Innova makes a set of absolutely HUGE (for a pitbike) knobbies if you want something REALLY big.
    Cool I will look for the dunlops, so the kenda are actually more lopro knobs? I don't think I wanna try the innova, dudes I know who rode them on big bikes said they wear like shit

LRRS #399
    MX #505

It depends on which Kenda you go with. The Millviles are tiny knobs, closely packed. Southwicks I think are a bit more open, but still smallish knobs. I had a Pirelli front for a bit, totally useless, small Millvile sized knobs, but maybe a 3rd as many as a Millvile so it just floated over everything and wouldn't bite at all, absolute junk.

One of the guys we used to race with lived next to a sand pit. He always ended up using the Mich. MS2 or MS3 in the back. It's huge compared to everything else. I run a Maxxis IT in the back for a mix of woods and track. The best 14" front is still the 2.75 width Innova that came on 2008 and newer Pitsters. All other fronts are only 2.50 wide (60/100-14)and that's not great for an adult on anything soft. I have been running a 3.00 Cheng Shin C755, but only because it's big enough to keep from sinking in mud and it was really cheap at a local shop. I have a brand new Bridgestone 201 front sitting in the shed that I might never use.

One of the guys we used to race with lived next to a sand pit. He always ended up using the Mich. MS2 or MS3 in the back. It's huge compared to everything else. I run a Maxxis IT in the back for a mix of woods and track. The best 14" front is still the 2.75 width Innova that came on 2008 and newer Pitsters. All other fronts are only 2.50 wide (60/100-14)and that's not great for an adult on anything soft. I have been running a 3.00 Cheng Shin C755, but only because it's big enough to keep from sinking in mud and it was really cheap at a local shop. I have a brand new Bridgestone 201 front sitting in the shed that I might never use.
    o thats a good point, in addition to tiny knobs maybe my front is just so thin as well...what size is the tire you might not use, maybe sell it? or is it a 14? I have a 12/10 setup

LRRS #399
    MX #505

It's a 60/100-14 front tire. Make me an offer. It still has all the moulding fuzz on it. I ran about 3 laps with it at Crow Hill.

I think Guy Cooper has some wide 12's and 10's made under the name "Extreme Tires"

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 11-02-09 at 04:46 PM.

ah damn I need 12/10 inch, thanks though

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123